Vermont 2022-23: New Jerseys, New Attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NYCatamount89 View Post
    Great to see the resilience from the team yesterday. I was surprised to see them bring in Lombardi mid season, but he does add some speed and skill. Buyalsky and Walther have both started to make strides and hopefully can find another level next year. I do think if the offseason goes well (no major transfers leaving) this team should be aiming for a .500 record next year. Still a long way to go, but they've shown that on their day they're a hard team to play against. That's a start.

Zero expectations for BU on Saturday, other than playing hard.

On another note, there have a been a number of articles in RDS (french language TSN) lately. My french is "vraiment mal" but toward the end it talks about recruiting in Quebec, including Daniel Heroux and it sounds like Woodcroft alludes to another potential Quebec recruit.

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/la-grande-...oft-1.16666781
    Yes, Daniel Heroux has committed to Vermont, but he plays at Kimball Union in New Hampshire under Tim Whitehead who recruited him.

Comment

• Maine was the 6th seed. Long road trip to Orono. If we played them 100 times, they might win 99. But not tonight. Tonight, we played like Champions…

let’s hope BU is looking past Saturday. They already have an invitation to the tournament…

Win or lose Saturday, I like how the program is going. And we have Minnesota boys coming in next year.

Comment

• Nice to see the win last Wednesday at Maine as its a great motivator to the future steps the team will take.

In regards to Chickod and comments relative to BU. I agree with your goalie comments. I should have made reference to performance as I can clearly see his past lineage to USNTDP and felt he needed to play at a higher level (sounds like we agree). You mention having a spot already locked up. I would think the potential to get a #1 NCAA seed (one of the top 4 slots) by winning HE would drive BU to not take anyone for granted? BU sitting at #5 in pairwise could jump a spot. We'll see how it plays out.

Other comments about Lombardi - I'm really warming up to him as a center. First ~8 games without any points I was unsure why the urgency to pull him in midseason (other than # of injuries). However after getting more comfortable he's been a very good contributor and he's driving play.

Todays game on NESN at 4:30. Good luck Cats.

Comment

• Great RDS article. I linked via computer and had ability to do a translation into English. Thanks NYCatamount 89.

Comment

• Wow, 3-zip 9 minutes into the game. Oh well….

Comment

• Okay, there’s one. Comeback time.

Comment

• Okay, 4-1. Game over. Switching to golf.
                Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 03-12-2023, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Welp on to the offseason. Think they're gonna need to make some defensive additions in the portal. Looks like they're definitely losing Bouquot. Not really surprise considering her took part in senior day.

https://gopherpucklive.com/transfer-portal/

Comment

• Tough Saturday as we saw the explosiveness of the BU offense. Very talented, very fast, and able to get to dangerous areas of the ice. I liked the Cats fight as they did most of the season. Down 5-3 in 3rd, just too many things going against them for 2nd upset. Winning playoff game at Maine capped the improvements this year. Thought Todd's comments post-game were appropriate as well. Lemay onto ECHL, Bouquot into portal and Grad students to move on. Time to make some room for incoming recruits, maybe add a few 1-2 portal/grad students to provide a little stability. But in long run want to see the 3rd class of Todd's regime get into the lineup and see what we have. All in all, a step forward this year from m y perspective.

Comment

• I want to go to the garden and HE final 4 with UVM playing someday (please). Tons of excitement. Merrimack continuing Cinderella season with 20 buses full of their fans last night. Umass Lowell having a $20 special ticket that gets admission for both nights and round-trip bus. Pregame outings for the different schools at local establishments. Both games go into OT, can really see the clamp-down defensive style and high-level goaltending that is needed to compete. Maybe someday.......

Comment

• Nice pick up with Zach Dubinksy, former RPI and Michigan State. Was a 4 star coming into college so talent is there.

Comment

• Agreed! Great pickup for the Cats. Now hopefully they can pick up a couple defenseman. There are a ton of guys available who could help them next year. The portal is such chaos right now. Glad guys have the freedom to move around, but it's still wild to see.

Also interested to see where Kyle Haskins of Huntington and Nicholas Niemo of Middlebury end up. Niemo had a strong Freshman year at Bentley.

Comment

• The name Dubinsky kept running around my head. So with a little digging - his dad was quite the player at Clarkson with 152 pts. in 89-93. Then followed it up with 375 NHL games and over 600 games total in the pro's. Portal activity is going to be interesting as recruiting sites have UVM at 14 incoming next year with 7-For, 6-def, and 1-Goalie. Things can change and some recruits can be convinced to spend another year in juniors. We had 6 Grad players and 2 SR's who have or will depart. I haven't heard if any underclassmen are planning to move on.

Comment

• Porter Schachle listed in portal. 1G/3A last year in 30 games. Nice size works hard but found himself on 3rd/4th line most of time. Assuming with Zach D. from portal and incoming freshman class forward group he's seeing the handwriting on the wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catfantoo View Post
                                The name Dubinsky kept running around my head. So with a little digging - his dad was quite the player at Clarkson with 152 pts. in 89-93. Then followed it up with 375 NHL games and over 600 games total in the pro's. Portal activity is going to be interesting as recruiting sites have UVM at 14 incoming next year with 7-For, 6-def, and 1-Goalie. Things can change and some recruits can be convinced to spend another year in juniors. We had 6 Grad players and 2 SR's who have or will depart. I haven't heard if any underclassmen are planning to move on.
                                Looks like they got defenseman Jeremie Bucheler from Northeaster as a grad transfer. They do have a big group of D recruits committed. Malinski and Barnett are both guys who are going to be there next year. Ramsay and Kinsman both need another year in junior although maybe they get brought in next year. I am curious to see what happens with Calvarino and Gasparini because neither of them have really looked great at this point. They both committed when Sneddon was still the coach, do they even end up on campus?

Comment

Working...
                                X