2022 - 2023 Season BOSTON COLLEGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Congrats on Gauthier coming back. As much as that scares the crap out of me as a BU fan, it's what college hockey needs. So many great players in the NCAA excelled as sophomores and then were more than ready for the NHL, going back to the 90's. You guys will be scary good next year. We have Celebrini and some strong supporting cast, but your class should be the #1 class no doubt.
    Agreed BC is set for a nice 2-3 year run of the top team in HE not at their heyday levels but in a weaker overall HE the clear favorite. BU should be good next year with a lot of firepower back and Celebrini but the goalie and defensive depth in question.

Comment

• Been deadly quiet on the Heights for a week or so. The transfers on the portal somewhat underwhelming, although the Northern Michigan kid is somewhat we should look at. We should be trying to flip a recruit although most of the top ones have already signed LOI. If we are truly going to improve our 3rd/4th lines, we need to start making some moves here. As an aside, I looked at Merrimack’s roster and see 28 players on roster, 7 graduate players. Hate to see college hockey morph into a minor league.

College hockey morphed into a minor league about 8-9 years ago. NHL expansion, two way contracts, and NCAA rules have led to the current state of affairs. it is too bad and I think it has contributed to declining fan interest. College fans saw their teams develop with 4 years players and the fans identified with them. I don't have specific attendance numbers but it just seems like there are fewer people watching in person. COVID and more games on TV have something to do with it but now with the transfer portal and the COVID year it has become a collection of guys playing for a contract at the next level. Take me back to the old days.

Comment

• Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
        Been deadly quiet on the Heights for a week or so. The transfers on the portal somewhat underwhelming, although the Northern Michigan kid is somewhat we should look at. We should be trying to flip a recruit although most of the top ones have already signed LOI. If we are truly going to improve our 3rd/4th lines, we need to start making some moves here. As an aside, I looked at Merrimack’s roster and see 28 players on roster, 7 graduate players. Hate to see college hockey morph into a minor league.

College hockey morphed into a minor league about 8-9 years ago. NHL expansion, two way contracts, and NCAA rules have led to the current state of affairs. it is too bad and I think it has contributed to declining fan interest. College fans saw their teams develop with 4 years players and the fans identified with them. I don't have specific attendance numbers but it just seems like there are fewer people watching in person. COVID and more games on TV have something to do with it but now with the transfer portal and the COVID year it has become a collection of guys playing for a contract at the next level. Take me back to the old days.
        they averaged 5k fans a game this year when the team was very mediocre. I thought the crowd was great this year. There is way more young talent in the NCAA than ever before so you will see more early defections early than there used to be. 4 out of the top 5 picks in the NHL draft played in the NCAA last year. 5 out of the top 10 in scoring in NCAA are freshmen. I’ll take more talent in college hockey than 15-20 years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by Seacaptim View Post
          Michigan has about 15 players who skate like the wind. Reminds me a bit of BC’s great teams under York. Quinnipiac has 7 Grad players on their roster, so they are not young.
          That 1-0 score after the first period yesterday was one of the most misleading scores I've seen in a while. I thought that if Colgate didn't find a way to slow the game down, they were going to end up getting trashed. Michigan proceeded to come out in the second period and just blow them off the ice. Their team speed is frightening and Fantilli is the real deal.
          The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
          BC - 12
          BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
            Agreed BC is set for a nice 2-3 year run of the top team in HE not at their heyday levels but in a weaker overall HE the clear favorite. BU should be good next year with a lot of firepower back and Celebrini but the goalie and defensive depth in question.
            I'd say more of co-favorites with BU. Another year of development for the current BU freshman class plus Celebrini and the other incoming freshmen next year they will be formidable.
            The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
            BC - 12
            BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

• I can recall the parity hot takes about how the BC/BU days are over in Hockey East. While both will still undoubtedly encounter down years the ceiling is still highest at BC/BU. As long as you have the right coach of course.

Comment

• Ambrosio returning...that helps. Still nothing official on Kuntar.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Ambrosio returning...that helps. Still nothing official on Kuntar.
                  Ambrosio will be a really good depth piece. It still feels like he hasn't put it all together and has another level he can reach. Would like to see his compete level be more consistent, he seems like he has these flashes of buzzing all over the ice but will disappear for periods. He'll be a good player to have who can play up and down the lineup though with his skill level

The Kuntar situation is interesting. If he signs, he'll be the Bruins' 50th contract this year so they wouldn't be able to sign anyone else to a contract for this season. He could sign a contract to start next year but I'm not sure if he could sign that now or would have to wait. Bruins will want to sign Mason Lohrei to fill that 50th spot so I can see why Kuntar's signing hasn't happened yet if that's the hang up.

Someone else may be able to weigh in but I believe Kuntar may be able to sign an ATO for the remainder of this season and start his entry level next year but I'm not sure

Comment

• Agree on Ambrosio, he needs to play off someone, great speed and hockey sense but not a natural creator, he could be and another year might give him that extra bit. I am very happy he is coming back. The Kuntar thing is obviously a little more complicated, thank you for clarifying. He is not going to play in the bigs this year or next and maybe the B's see him as trade bait. Selfishly hope that he comes back he will have a great year.

Comment

• Kuntar should return given that Cutter is coming back along with a stacked freshman class. He would have his best season and he could become a free agent. If he can’t burn off one year of his entry level contract next month there is no sense for him to sign with the Bruins now.

Go Eagles!

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
                        Kuntar should return given that Cutter is coming back along with a stacked freshman class. He would have his best season and he could become a free agent. If he can’t burn off one year of his entry level contract next month there is no sense for him to sign with the Bruins now.

Go Eagles!
                        Bruins only have one contract keft
                        and I think they will use it on Lohrei. Zero chance Kuntar burns a year as he wouldn’t make that roster.

Comment

I have used Michigan and Minnesota as examples but they seem to have figured out the roster construction dilemma over the last couple years. It looks to me like Pandolfo is on a similar path. BU does have a lot of seniors so we will have to see on that next year but they should be good again.
                          Michigan has 12 freshmen on that roster. Incredible wealth of talent with Fantilli, McGroarty, TJ Hughes, etc. then add sophomore Luke Hughes, Samoskevich (1st round NHL pick).

Comment

• Where was the one contract left reported? Just curious.

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/statu...DY-qKLHnA&s=19

If Pecknold's assessment is correct i would imagine Lohrei gets that contract as insurance for the playoff run.

Let's be honest here. Trevor Kuntar does not project as an NHLer to me. Come back and have a great senior year like McBain/McLaughlin. The only thing we can't know is if there's a scholarship crunch and Brown would like to see him move on.

Comment

Ambrosio returning...that helps. Still nothing official on Kuntar.
                              Where did you see this? I looked on Boston College men's hockey Twitter, along with the BC men's hockey blogger Twitter.

Comment

• Agreed with a lot of what has been said.

Good news on Ambrosio, and yes it really does seem like he can reach another level and just hasn't yet. You'd hope to see him put together a season like Chris Collins had as a senior (you could see it coming on his junior year more than I'd say with Ambrosio) or even something we got from Austin Cangelosi.

Kuntar... nice greasy college player. I don't see him making much of a splash on the NHL level but some guys surprise you and maybe it's him. Could be spending a LONG time in Providence. Being on next year's team could increase his value and give him options via free agency (plus the current Bruins' 50-contract problem). Stay and get the BC degree, duh! He's a monster faceoff guy too so that's going to translate in a lot of ways for next year's team if he sticks around which he absolutely should do. A senior year at BC or a year taking a bus across the AHL? No brainer.
                                Originally posted by reBlur
                                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X