2022 - 2023 Season BOSTON COLLEGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
    Hockey is a cruel game but this season it is beyond painful to see them lose in the last seconds after staging a great comeback. The 3X3 and shoot out is a terrible way to end a tournament game, can help but wonder if Dunkin had something to do with it.
    They are a team with talent but with a lot of obvious deficiencies. The PK in particular is a glaring problem almost the whole season. Since the UVM series each PP goal given up is a killer and you can even go back to the ASU loss where a PP goal was given up in a 2-1 loss.

They do the same thing almost each game / loss and teams are on to their game as mentioned by someone.

Shot selection and pass selection are poor at times which accounts for many shots blocked or missed or lead to bad turnovers.

It is very rare they play a complete 60 minute game and it shows when you consistently lack offense and lose.

Going back to the PK, their passivity does not work. They tend to bunch up around the goalie or overload one side too much leaving the weak side wide open, and give up too much space around the perimeter. On almost every PP goal given up, the backdoor is wide open for a open net goal.

Why they can't address that is a total head scratcher and it reflects on the coaching staff each and everyone of them involved.

I had the same thought on shootouts. Maybe they should yank Benson and put in someone else in Shootouts.

The focus is not there in critical situations and boom it happens like last night. 1 second before the shootout, they let up and get caught on a 2 on 1 again.

I was lukewarm on Brown as coach and his assistants but next year with the #1 recruiting class coming in and if they have the same recurring problems then Brown was not the right choice to succeed JY.

I was hoping for an upset win last night but knew down deep this team is too flawed and vulnerable to the same issues each game almost.

Realistically I don't expect them to pull off an HE Tournament win to avoid sitting at home and watching the NCAAs.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Hockey is a cruel game but this season it is beyond painful to see them lose in the last seconds after staging a great comeback. The 3X3 and shoot out is a terrible way to end a tournament game, can help but wonder if Dunkin had something to do with it.
      The NCAA decided this and it was in place for last year's Beanpot.

Comment

• I thought the schools rejected that last year. Whatever it is still a bad way to end a tournament. Consolation game yes, semi's and finals no.

Comment

I thought the schools rejected that last year. Whatever it is still a bad way to end a tournament. Consolation game yes, semi's and finals no.
          The Connecticut Ice Cup and the Great Lakes Invitational both appear to have also adopted these rules SHU, Yale, Quinnipiac and Yale played these rules in 2022 and 2023, so not likely anything to do with Dunkin. Are you sure the NCAA didn't? I believe they thought the OT games were simply too long. I think that's why. In 2020 the final the 2nd longest on record ended after midnight. People didn't get out of the garden until nearly 1am...causing the MBTA to keep the T and public transport open at considerable expense to the city.
          Last edited by RossiRules; 02-07-2023, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• I am not sure of when the change was made I just think it they should play until they have a 5X5 winner. I am not in favor Shoot outs under any circumstances except skills competition but not in hockey games.

Comment

I am not sure of when the change was made I just think it they should play until they have a 5X5 winner. I am not in favor Shoot outs under any circumstances except skills competition but not in hockey games.
              The NCAA refused to allow the team to play a regular 5-5 overtime- They specifically asked for it

Comment

• It’s important not to over-react after these weekly losses and ties (and shootout losses). That being said, we need to take a serious look at firing the entire coaching staff.

This team is goddamn terrible.
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• The Eagle has landed, wow, lots of shots but little result. By the end of the season they could be in the HE basement. I am not sure what the problem is but i don't think it is coaching but it there could be a motivation issue.

Comment

• I really wish Hokydad would come back and give us his honest assessment of this BC team and the program overall.

This entire athletic department needs an enema.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• I look at the Hockey Program as a separate division fro the rest of the Athletic Department. But I also care very little about the other sports.

Comment

• I feel weird saying this, but can we try not to overreact? This has been a disappointing season to put it charitably, but it's Brown's first season, so I think we can hold off on building the gallows for the moment. Now if multiple players from next years incoming class don't end up coming or they do and despite the influx of talent the product on the ice does not improve, then that will be a different story.
                        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                        BC - 12
                        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

• Well you are never as bad as you look and never as good as you think you are. Nice win after a brutal stretch of a games and a very tough January and early February schedule. Gasseau is coming on and Benson was solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                            I feel weird saying this, but can we try not to overreact? This has been a disappointing season to put it charitably, but it's Brown's first season, so I think we can hold off on building the gallows for the moment. Now if multiple players from next years incoming class don't end up coming or they do and despite the influx of talent the product on the ice does not improve, then that will be a different story.
                            I agree. Haven't been on here in a while but does anyone actually follow how these games have been going? They routinely outshoot the opponent which typically leads to good results. There's a couple problems. Last time I looked at save percentage #s I think Benson was near the bottom of Hockey East. He's been ok but not good enough for what this team needs. The PK has killed them but are they getting enough saves from the goalie? They also can't score enough to overcome the average at best goaltending. So you see a lot of low scoring close losses where they outshoot the opposition. They were worse last year. They were hovering around the NCAA tournament bubble and have had a rough stretch where they are now around 25. It's not like they are 40th. The scorers are coming next year. What needs to end is the grad transfer goalie route. It hasn't worked. Hopefully Jacob Fowler is the next guy. It's not like they are getting run off the ice every night. Frustrating for sure but they probably deserved some better results over the last few weeks.

Comment

• https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/sta...oaltenders.php

Benson has basically played every meaningful minute in net and the only goalie with a worse save percentage is a freshman for UNH who has played in only 11 games. Wilder can't even get a game. The goaltending position is not where it needs to be to compete.

Comment

• He is not Knight but it is tough to hold opponents to goose eggs. BC has had too many 1 goal games and too many ties and shoot out losses in part because BC can not put it in the net on shoot outs. Once thing is clear picking goalies up on the waiver wire is not a winning strategy.

Comment

Working...
                                X