UMass Lowell 2022-2023: Valley Steamroller Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    I was informed this evening that Chris Bell, captain of the 1999-2000 team as a senior, passed away after a lengthy illness.
    Well, damn ... RIP Chris. Awful news.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Sad news out of Merrimack. Merrimack Assistant Josh Ciocco Passes Away : College Hockey News

Comment

In case you missed it, NESN announced their HE TV schedule. 7 Lowell games will be on TV.
        Highlighting marquee second-half matchups, fans will be able to catch the River Hawks' highly anticipated Kennedy Cup clash against Massachusetts on Jan. 27 on NESN+ at 7 p.m. The team's meetings with Boston College (Feb. 3), Maine (Feb. 12) and Merrimack (Feb. 24) are all set to air on NESN, with 7 p.m. puck drops against the Eagles and Warriors, and a matinee matchup with the Black Bears slated for 2 p.m.

In addition to the team's four home matches, three River Hawk road games will be featured on NESN and NESN+ this year. UMass Lowell's first conference road tilt against reigning Hockey East regular-season champion Northeastern (Oct. 22), as well as a midweek meeting with the Eagles (Nov. 15) will both be broadcast on NESN at 7 p.m. After the team returns from its stint overseas at the 2022 Friendship Four, the River Hawks will head west to take on UMass (Dec. 3) on NESN+ at 7 p.m.
        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Couple of big games this weekend. I know Miami was ranked last in the NCHC preseason poll, so losses this weekend could hurt us in the pairwise at the end of the year.
          Monty

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            Couple of big games this weekend. I know Miami was ranked last in the NCHC preseason poll, so losses this weekend could hurt us in the pairwise at the end of the year.
            Hopefully Lowell has learned from the last couple of years that you can't play down to OOC competition. Losing to ASU and tying LIU last year hurt them in the pairwise. Go out there, get your two Ws and move on to next weekend.

Think we'll see a split in net this weekend with Welsch and Grigals?

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post

Hopefully Lowell has learned from the last couple of years that you can't play down to OOC competition. Losing to ASU and tying LIU last year hurt them in the pairwise. Go out there, get your two Ws and move on to next weekend.

Think we'll see a split in net this weekend with Welsch and Grigals?
              I was thinking the same thing regarding the goaltending and the need to take care of business.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

I was thinking the same thing regarding the goaltending and the need to take care of business.
                Yeah, I'd be surprised if Bazin (this early in the year) committed to a single netminder.
                Monty

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  Yeah, I'd be surprised if Bazin (this early in the year) committed to a single netminder.
                  UMass Lowell to host Miami University for pair of games – Lowell Sun

Comment

That sucks.

Liked pulling the goalie down 3-0 because these guys put in a lot of effort and had a lot of good chances that going unrewarded was going to bite a bit. I thought the opportunities favored us but pucks didn't fall in. Seems like a bit of a repeat from last season. We will see how that goes. Power play choices... i'm always a guy that likes working the d-men when they're open but I'm sure that's a matter of growing up watching the Bruins. Some defensive breakdowns. Things to clean up. In my opinion Welsch is going to feel like he didn't have the greatest night but I don't think he's to blame for what happened... some of his other choices seemed off however those off choices didn't lead to goals. But again, I know nothing. On the other hand Miami's goalie had a game he'll be real happy with.

Hard to form anything from this other than the general goals that won't fall. Hopefully the choices improve as things go along as well.
                    Last edited by Patman; 10-07-2022, 08:54 PM.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      That sucks.

Liked pulling the goalie down 3-0 because these guys put in a lot of effort and had a lot of good chances that going unrewarded was going to bite a bit. I thought the opportunities favored us but pucks didn't fall in. Seems like a bit of a repeat from last season. We will see how that goes. Power play choices... i'm always a guy that likes working the d-men when they're open but I'm sure that's a matter of growing up watching the Bruins. Some defensive breakdowns. Things to clean up. In my opinion Welsch is going to feel like he didn't have the greatest night but I don't think he's to blame for what happened... some of his other choices seemed off however those off choices didn't lead to goals. But again, I know nothing. On the other hand Miami's goalie had a game he'll be real happy with.

Hard to form anything from this other than the general goals that won't fall. Hopefully the choices improve as things go along as well.
                      That pretty much sums it up. Plenty of chances early in the game with nothing to show for it. Give credit to Miami, they played well. Hopefully the Hawks can put the puck into the net tonight. Based on the game analytics, the Hawks attempted 77 shots, 39 were on net, 19 were blocked and they missed the net 19 times.

College Hockey Analytics : College Hockey News

Comment

Admittedly a small sample size, but through 2 games, Lowell has had 9 power plays for a total of 16:02 of power play time. During those 16+ minutes, they have only attempted 13 shots. All 13 were on net, and 1 went in, but only attempting 0.8 shots per minute of power play time just isn't going to cut it. That number should be at least 3-4 times higher. Get more shots toward the net on the power play, and good things should start to happen. That and getting the puck on net when the goalie is down and out of position.
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

The one thing I've seen over the years is that players tend to make one too many moves and what I've seen so far kind of smacks of that

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

I don't have much to say because I didn't get to see much as I was out hanging out and was trying to flip between different things

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              I don't have much to say because I didn't get to see much as I was out hanging out and was trying to flip between different things
                              For the first half of the game, it looked like a repeat of Friday's game. The Hawks were doing a lot right but nothing to show for it. That goal by Korencik really took the pressure off.
                              It was nice to see the team come out in the 3rd and get a couple of quick goals to take the game over. A nice night for Berglund.

Comment

Anyone hear anything about armstrong kinkade? He had a great season before the injury bug hit him

Comment

Working...
                                X