UMass Lowell 2022-2023: Valley Steamroller Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    What's the deal with no fried dough concession??? It's the main thing I always look forward to when going to Tsongas. Did you really need a second Dippin' Dots concession?
    I'm not sure. The line for Dipping Dots gets really long though, so it doesn't surprise me that they added a second location.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      What's the deal with no fried dough concession??? It's the main thing I always look forward to when going to Tsongas. Did you really need a second Dippin' Dots concession?
      As far as I can remember, the fried dough cart was an independent concessionaire and rented space at the arena. Not sure whos decision it was to leave.

Comment

A nice job by the Hawks in taking care of business this weekend.

(232) Ice Hockey | UMass Lowell vs Vermont (Game 2 - 11/05/22) - YouTube

Head Coach Norm Bazin Postgame vs Vermont (11/05/22) - YouTube

Comment

I thought last night's game was very entertaining. Vermont played much better and Lowell looked very good, especially in the 3rd. Like Norm said in his presser, they attacked in the 3rd when they hadn't last weekend. Henry has been playing outstanding. It makes me wonder if he was playing hurt last season. We're roughly 1/3 of the way through the season and Hockey East appears to be much better up and down the conference. Lowell is currently #2 in the country in fewest goals against, and the #1 is Harvard who has only played 3 games. Special teams are adequate, especially the PK.

Looking forward to the games coming up. BC will play Lowell in their 3rd game within 4 days and Uconn is off to a very good start. These will all be a big test heading into the trip to Ireland.

Comment

Posted part of this on the Vermont thread too... but I thought UVM looked like a JV team the first night (11 shots on goal?), but I was impressed with their response on Saturday. They had some bad puck luck on both nights, with pucks bouncing when they seemed to have open nets to shoot at.

I thought we looked OK at times, but the more I watch them, the more I'm getting worried about this team when they play the higher ranked programs as the year progresses.
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
              Posted part of this on the Vermont thread too... but I thought UVM looked like a JV team the first night (11 shots on goal?), but I was impressed with their response on Saturday. They had some bad puck luck on both nights, with pucks bouncing when they seemed to have open nets to shoot at.

I thought we looked OK at times, but the more I watch them, the more I'm getting worried about this team when they play the higher ranked programs as the year progresses.
              they're slow and have a hard time controlling the puck. Somebody will eat us alive eventually. Maybe it'll be the more talented teams once they find they're rhythm. But it will happen.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Yeah, the team is definitely slow. Lowell had at least a couple of breakaway opportunities over the weekend where our skater couldn't get to the net fast enough to do anything with it.

Comment

I saw this on twitter:

Mike McMahon @MikeMcMahonCHN
                  There’s talk that the Turkey Leg could return in the Merrimack Valley next year with Lowell and Merrimack hosting a pair of teams Thanksgiving weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    I saw this on twitter:

Mike McMahon @MikeMcMahonCHN
                    There’s talk that the Turkey Leg could return in the Merrimack Valley next year with Lowell and Merrimack hosting a pair of teams Thanksgiving weekend.
                    According to his website, the other two teams are Stonehill and Army.
                    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Three big games (@BC, UConn, @UConn) for the River Hawks this week before they head off to Belfast. The Eagles will be without Kuntar and Alami tomorrow night due suspensions. Hopefully Jon McDonald is back for the Hawks.

Hockey East Announces Supplemental Discipline - Hockey East Association (hockeyeastonline.com)

UMass Lowell hockey notebook: Henry Welsch red hot between the pipes – Lowell Sun

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post

According to his website, the other two teams are Stonehill and Army.
                        Why bother at that point...

Comment

A tough loss at BC (they did play well in the third at least), and now two extremely tough games against UConn. A UConn team that has kept it's blue collar personality (like Lowell) but went out and found a higher level of talent to fit their system. See how that goes this weekend.
                          Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                            A tough loss at BC (they did play well in the third at least), and now two extremely tough games against UConn. A UConn team that has kept it's blue collar personality (like Lowell) but went out and found a higher level of talent to fit their system. See how that goes this weekend.
                            Well said. UML plays a bit more systematic, but both teams have a blue collar aspect with how hard they compete. UConn plays fast and pressures the puck in all three zones. The difference this year is they have 3 lines that can score. Watching some of the game Tuesday night, it looks like UML clogs the neutral zone defensively, but will also stretch it out offensively.

This should be a good weekend of hockey.

Comment

Very entertaining game tonight. I thought they skated well and played a consistent game.

Comment

4 of 6 losses are by a goal, meaning they're keeping games competitive. In only one of those 6 did they score more than 2, meaning their offense isn't doing enough.

Really happy to see them come back from 3-0 down, but ... why were you down 3-0 (after being down 2-0 the previous night)? Another game at UMass coming up this weekend, another chance to end what has become a rather embarrassing streak of 7 straight without a regulation win.
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X