UMass Lowell 2022-2023: Valley Steamroller Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
    Proud of the team. They fought tough, skated hard, bad break. Until next season.
    Great effort by the team, unreal game by Grigals. Good luck and thank you to all the players that are moving on.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
      1. Our goalies have this maddening habit of letting in 1 or 2 bad goals a game, usually early. You could tell last week that Grigals was locked in right from the start. That needs to be the case again today.
      2. Get people to the net. Ollas tends to let up some rebounds, we need to have people there to cash them in (and also to take away his eyes on the initial shot).
      3. Do something on the power play besides taking 2 minutes off the clock.
      4. Control the faceoffs. Lowell is 7th in the nation in faceoffs, Merrimack is 9th worst. Those are 50/50 pucks that you need to control.
      1. Grigals was locked in again. He was the only reason this game got to 2OT. Neither goal was a bad goal.
      2. Merrimack blocked 33 shots out of the 92 Lowell attempted. Getting rebounds wasn't the problem, getting shots through to Borgiel was.
      3. 1 power play, 0 shots on net, 1 shot attempted, 2 shots allowed. The lack of a functioning power play was probably the biggest thing that killed the team down the stretch.
      4. Merrimack won 46 out of 81 faceoffs. That hurt a lot in this game, especially over the 1st 2 periods.
      Last edited by ScottK; 03-18-2023, 11:56 AM.
      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• For those that did not listen to the postgame show all the way to the end (I'm guessing that's 99% of you), Bob Ellis announced that he will be back next year for his 40th season of calling Lowell hockey, but it will be his last. He retired as a full-time university employee a few years ago, and will be retiring completely after next season. He's had me in the booth for 3 games over the past few seasons, though he barely let me get a word in most of the time, and I'm hoping I get that chance next season as well.

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• We went through a stretch where Lowell had a whopping 12 shots on goal in four periods of hockey (last two v UConn and first two v MC). That was absolutely pathetic.

Glad to see them show some heart after MC scored, and great to see one of the freshmen step up and tie the game. They looked pretty good in both OTs and a rough deflection put the puck right back where it didn't need to be and that was the game.

Will be interesting to see what this roster looks like next year.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            We went through a stretch where Lowell had a whopping 12 shots on goal in four periods of hockey (last two v UConn and first two v MC). That was absolutely pathetic.

Glad to see them show some heart after MC scored, and great to see one of the freshmen step up and tie the game. They looked pretty good in both OTs and a rough deflection put the puck right back where it didn't need to be and that was the game.

Will be interesting to see what this roster looks like next year.
            Yes, that was tough break on the game winner. For whatever reason the offense and Power Play never got on track this season. They never seemed in synch in the offensive zone. Team offense is ranked 46th in country, team defense is ranked 9th.

The transfer portal should start picking up this week.

Comment

• I saw this in the BU thread. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue. Thoughts?

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              What happened this weekend with the coaches who lost in OT was embarrassing and it takes away from the moment of an OT winner. There were at least 4 coaches who challenged on OT goals where there was absolutely nothing to review. Happened in all three HE games and one or two other games.

Comment

• Not 100 percent sure, but I believe that all of those goals were game winners in overtime, and an announcer noted that they always check the tape on a game winner in overtime to be sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                  Not 100 percent sure, but I believe that all of those goals were game winners in overtime, and an announcer noted that they always check the tape on a game winner in overtime to be sure.
                  They automatically check all goals in the semis and final at the Garden. But they also announced over the PA system that Providence, UML and Merrimack all made coaches challenges independently from the automatic review. You can clearly hear the announcements if you recorded the games. Providence and Merrimack both challenged for offsides and the UML challenge was announced for goalie interference. None of the challenges were legitimate and made all three coaches look like sore losers.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

We went through a stretch where Lowell had a whopping 12 shots on goal in four periods of hockey (last two v UConn and first two v MC).
                    The shots on goal Saturday was very deceiving, especially early. They out-attempted Merrimack right from the start, and it stayed that way for the entire game. The problem was that Merrimack blocked a ton of shots (33 for the game).

1st period: Shots 9-3 MC, Shot Attempts 17-13 Lowell
                    2nd Period: Shots 13-4 MC, Shot Attempts 20-20
                    3rd Period: Shots 10-8 Lowell, Shot Attempts 17-17
                    OT 1: Shots: 12-9 Lowell, Shot attempts: 24-17 Lowell
                    OT 2: Shots: 8-3 Lowell, Shot Attempts: 14-4 Lowell

Total: Lowell 92 shot attempts (37 on goal, 33 blocked, 21 wide, 1 hit pipe), Merrimack 71 shot attempts (42 on goal, 16 blocked, 13 wide)

The problem wasn't lack of shots, it was lack of shots getting through. In the 1st period, the 1st media timeout came with 8:45 left in the period. Shots on goal at that point were 3-2 in favor of Lowell. Shot attempts were 14-3 in favor of Lowell (7 blocked/4 wide). The ice was tilted in Lowell's direction for the 1st 50% of the period, but they couldn't do anything with it. The 2nd half of the period was all Merrimack, but Lowell weathered the storm, (even had Kaiser ring one off the pipe).

The first minute of the game gave us a hint of how the night would go:
                    [00:00] Faceoff Bentley, Dillan vs Leibold, Ryan won by UML.
                    [00:23] Shot by UML Bentley, Dillan BLOCKED by Felton, Christian.
                    [00:36] Shot by UML Engum, Brehdan BLOCKED by Felton, Christian.
                    [00:48] Shot by UML Fowler, Owen MISSED, save Borgiel, Zachary.

Or this flurry a little later in the 1st period:
                    [04:59] Shot by UML Kaiser, Zach WIDE.
                    [05:03] Shot by UML Becker, Mitchell WIDE.
                    [05:07] Shot by UML Bentley, Dillan WIDE.
                    [05:11] Shot by UML Forn?? Svensson, Filip MISSED, save Borgiel, Zachary.

They kept shooting all night, but couldn't find a way to get them through, or when they did get through, get them on net. That made life a lot easier for Borgiel. How many difficult saves did he really have to make? His defense made life a lot easier for him. This was where we truly missed having creative offensive players. The good ones know how to get their shots through traffic. I look at some of the individual shot numbers, and I see things like Jon McDonald - 8 shot attempts, 4 blocked, 4 wide; Isac Jonsson, 3 shot attempts, all blocked; Marek Korencik, 5 shot attempts, 4 blocked, 1 on net, and that tells me that point shots were not getting through, and thus there weren't many rebounds to be had, but it took too long to adjust to this. Defensemen combined for 26 shot attempts, but only 4 made it through on net, with 20 of the attempts and all 4 on net coming during regulation. Had the coaching staff realized this a little earlier and adjusted, things could have been different.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post

The shots on goal Saturday was very deceiving, especially early. They out-attempted Merrimack right from the start, and it stayed that way for the entire game. The problem was that Merrimack blocked a ton of shots (33 for the game).

1st period: Shots 9-3 MC, Shot Attempts 17-13 Lowell
                      2nd Period: Shots 13-4 MC, Shot Attempts 20-20
                      3rd Period: Shots 10-8 Lowell, Shot Attempts 17-17
                      OT 1: Shots: 12-9 Lowell, Shot attempts: 24-17 Lowell
                      OT 2: Shots: 8-3 Lowell, Shot Attempts: 14-4 Lowell

Total: Lowell 92 shot attempts (37 on goal, 33 blocked, 21 wide, 1 hit pipe), Merrimack 71 shot attempts (42 on goal, 16 blocked, 13 wide)

The problem wasn't lack of shots, it was lack of shots getting through. In the 1st period, the 1st media timeout came with 8:45 left in the period. Shots on goal at that point were 3-2 in favor of Lowell. Shot attempts were 14-3 in favor of Lowell (7 blocked/4 wide). The ice was tilted in Lowell's direction for the 1st 50% of the period, but they couldn't do anything with it. The 2nd half of the period was all Merrimack, but Lowell weathered the storm, (even had Kaiser ring one off the pipe).

The first minute of the game gave us a hint of how the night would go:
                      [00:00] Faceoff Bentley, Dillan vs Leibold, Ryan won by UML.
                      [00:23] Shot by UML Bentley, Dillan BLOCKED by Felton, Christian.
                      [00:36] Shot by UML Engum, Brehdan BLOCKED by Felton, Christian.
                      [00:48] Shot by UML Fowler, Owen MISSED, save Borgiel, Zachary.

Or this flurry a little later in the 1st period:
                      [04:59] Shot by UML Kaiser, Zach WIDE.
                      [05:03] Shot by UML Becker, Mitchell WIDE.
                      [05:07] Shot by UML Bentley, Dillan WIDE.
                      [05:11] Shot by UML Forn?? Svensson, Filip MISSED, save Borgiel, Zachary.

They kept shooting all night, but couldn't find a way to get them through, or when they did get through, get them on net. That made life a lot easier for Borgiel. How many difficult saves did he really have to make? His defense made life a lot easier for him. This was where we truly missed having creative offensive players. The good ones know how to get their shots through traffic. I look at some of the individual shot numbers, and I see things like Jon McDonald - 8 shot attempts, 4 blocked, 4 wide; Isac Jonsson, 3 shot attempts, all blocked; Marek Korencik, 5 shot attempts, 4 blocked, 1 on net, and that tells me that point shots were not getting through, and thus there weren't many rebounds to be had, but it took too long to adjust to this. Defensemen combined for 26 shot attempts, but only 4 made it through on net, with 20 of the attempts and all 4 on net coming during regulation. Had the coaching staff realized this a little earlier and adjusted, things could have been different.
                      Fantastic post
                      "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
                      make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

• Shots don't magically hit bodies. Somehow Merrimack found opportunities where it wouldn't find bodies.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                          I saw this in the BU thread. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue. Thoughts?

Any coach who doesn't challenge as a matter of fact unless it was beyond obvious is a fool. Unless they make it protocol that review is automatic this will happen.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

• Good info Scott, but as you yourself said, they have to find a way to get those to the net. Whichever explanations we can come up with ... 12 shots on net in 80 minutes of play is not good. But your post also goes with what so many of us have been saying, they aren't recruiting enough offensive talent.
                            Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Berglund signs a 2-year two way deal with Edmonton.

Edvard Nordlund puts his name into the portal, meaning that we probably only have one goalie on the roster going into next season as of now.
                              Monty

Comment

Berglund signs a 2-year two way deal with Edmonton.

Edvard Nordlund puts his name into the portal, meaning that we probably only have one goalie on the roster going into next season as of now.
                                Goalies are particularly in a hard situation with the portal because clearly the goalies would love to play... I guess not too different than QBs and the portal. All the other positions in football you sub in and out. But the position you only need one for the game... well...

I do take a positive in that not many have jumped to the portal unlike some other schools. My guess is come October 1 we'll be fine in net.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Working...
                                X