Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 2022-2023: Valley Steamroller Edition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That was a fantastic win, and glad to have the damn streak against Amherst over with.

    Grigals was outstanding, but my player of the game was Bentley. He was absolutely everywhere, has a lot more speed than I expected, and used his body really well. I hope to see him more often. Still very much in the race for home-ice for the playoffs. Two big home games this weekend coming up, with BC (losers of 4 straight including one SOL) and last place UNH (off this past weekend, and hosts Merrimack on Friday).
    Monty

    2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

    Comment


    • Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      That was a fantastic win, and glad to have the damn streak against Amherst over with.

      Grigals was outstanding, but my player of the game was Bentley. He was absolutely everywhere, has a lot more speed than I expected, and used his body really well. I hope to see him more often. Still very much in the race for home-ice for the playoffs. Two big home games this weekend coming up, with BC (losers of 4 straight including one SOL) and last place UNH (off this past weekend, and hosts Merrimack on Friday).
      I also thought Scout Truman had a fantastic game. He was all over the place.

      On the UMass disallowed goal, I assume it was for goaltender interference, but I didn't know if the fact that Ben Meehan knocked it in the net would cancel that out. Is the thought that the goaltender interference on the shot prior made it so the goalie wasn't able to be in position to make a play on the puck? I don't remember seeing a play like that before.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post

        I also thought Scout Truman had a fantastic game. He was all over the place.

        On the UMass disallowed goal, I assume it was for goaltender interference, but I didn't know if the fact that Ben Meehan knocked it in the net would cancel that out. Is the thought that the goaltender interference on the shot prior made it so the goalie wasn't able to be in position to make a play on the puck? I don't remember seeing a play like that before.
        I'll have to go back and watch it tonight, do you remember when that was?
        Monty

        2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

        Comment


        • Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          I'll have to go back and watch it tonight, do you remember when that was?
          I want to say second half of the second period. It was after Bentley's goal.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post

            I also thought Scout Truman had a fantastic game. He was all over the place.

            On the UMass disallowed goal, I assume it was for goaltender interference, but I didn't know if the fact that Ben Meehan knocked it in the net would cancel that out. Is the thought that the goaltender interference on the shot prior made it so the goalie wasn't able to be in position to make a play on the puck? I don't remember seeing a play like that before.
            I think the play was over once the goalie was interfered with. If it was a delayed penalty, I think it would have counted since Meehan knocked it in.

            I agree about Scout Truman, a lot of energy. It was good to see him back on the ice after missing the UNH games. I wonder if he was injured, or did Norm sit him for that bad penalty in the 2nd Maine game? Collins also took a bad penalty in that game and has not played since.

            Off topic.
            Speaking of the arena, can anyone understand a thing Jasmine is saying? I sit in section 119 and it's hard to make out what's she is saying. I'm not sure what the problem is (speaker, microphone) but it was never a problem in the past.
            Last edited by boblav1; 01-30-2023, 01:05 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

              I think the play was over once the goalie was interfered with. If it was a delayed penalty, I think it would have counted since Meehan knocked it in.

              I agree about Scout Truman, a lot of energy. It was good to see him back on the ice after missing the UNH games. I wonder if he was injured, or did Norm sit him for that bad penalty in the 2nd Maine game? Collins also took a bad penalty in that game and has not played since.

              Off topic.
              Speaking of the arena, can anyone understand a thing Jasmine is saying? I sit in section 119 and it's hard to make out what's she is saying. I'm not sure what the problem is (speaker, microphone) but it was never a problem in the past.
              I only could with the kid fan of the game because it was my son. lol. But I do find it pretty hard to hear her, especially when in the student section.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post

                I want to say second half of the second period. It was after Bentley's goal.
                I reviewed it quickly and couldn't find it. Sorry.
                Monty

                2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

                Comment


                • Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  I reviewed it quickly and couldn't find it. Sorry.
                  It was 1:20 into the 2nd period, and as soon as Grigals got knocked over that was going to be goaltender interference unless Grigals had enough time to recover and play his position again. Since he was still down (because it was only a couple of seconds after he got hit), there was never any chance that wouldn't be waved off.
                  Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

                  "I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                  "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ScottK View Post

                    It was 1:20 into the 2nd period, and as soon as Grigals got knocked over that was going to be goaltender interference unless Grigals had enough time to recover and play his position again. Since he was still down (because it was only a couple of seconds after he got hit), there was never any chance that wouldn't be waved off.
                    Thanks Scott. I didn't look earlier in the period.
                    Monty

                    2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

                    Comment


                    • Looks like rheaume and crasa are out for kinkad and brushett tonight. Heres to a W!

                      Comment


                      • Welp. That’s definitely the pairwise dagger. Not a good game for Grigals but he’s been excellent this season. It’s bound to happen.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                          Welp. That’s definitely the pairwise dagger. Not a good game for Grigals but he’s been excellent this season. It’s bound to happen.
                          Ugh! 5 goals on 17 shots. Yup, a very disappointing weekend. On a positive note, goals from Truman and Fornaa Svensson both nights. Hopefully that production continues.

                          (23) Head Coach Norm Bazin Postgame vs UNH (02/04/2023) - YouTube

                          Warning, the final two UNH goals are tough to watch.
                          (25) Ice Hockey | UMass Lowell vs New Hampshire (02/04/23) - YouTube
                          Last edited by boblav1; 02-04-2023, 11:19 PM.

                          Comment


                          • I came into the game and it was 2-0. I went and did things and it was 3-2. I got control of the TV at the brewery and watched us collapse defensively. I was encouraged by the effort that was put in once down 5-3 and wish we would play like that more. Maybe that opens too many defensive liabilities. If these guys have skill then they don't trust themselves to perform on offense. If they don't I'm not sure that changes much.
                            they showed far more intent in that few minutes than I've seen in awhile. Maybe not execution. I prefer intent because you work with what's there. Ok. You miss by two feet. Better than not taking an obvious chance.

                            the power play is shambolic. Pass accuracy isn't there. Situational awareness isn't there. Choice making. Oof. This is an observation over weeks about the PP. We all know what it's supposed to look like at this point. Choices and movement. They just can't move the puck around. If they looked dynamite on the first 3 goals I apologize but so it goes. I don't know if it's lack of confidence or lack of capacity. I just know this team has had a larger inability to handle the puck over the last few years and I'd say starting in 19-20. Pass receiving, general control, just yikes.

                            I'll leave it there. I'm trying to avoid frustrating things right now for my own self preservation but I want us to do well.

                            Edit: the last part. More adventures in anxiety problems.
                            Last edited by Patman; 02-05-2023, 06:13 PM.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

                            Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey


                            NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

                            Comment


                            • I'm good with not having Brushett play anymore... hes a huge liability defensively (takes that end off). Meehan put McDonald in a lot of bad scenarios defensively and took another bad penalty. He didnt play well all weekend. I know they dont have much depth defensively, but I really think Meehan should sit.

                              Comment


                              • For those that aren't keeping an eye out, Lowell MBB has just five games left in their regular season. After a little dip, they've bounced back and are currently tied with Bryant in second place at 7-4 (and 20-6 overall, which is already a new D1 record in total wins). Their schedule is actually kind of interesting (to those that might find it funny anyway): @ 1st place UVM (8-2 in AE), @ 2nd Place Tie Bryant, Home to 4th place Binghamton, @ 5th place UMBC and home to 6th place UNH. So their schedule is literally going down the current AE standings to finish the season. AE Playoffs start March 4th. Would be amazing if Lowell can put together a nice winning streak here to end the season. Also if they can win their remaining two home games, they'll finish the regular season undefeated at home. Go Lowell!
                                Monty

                                2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X