• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I think that the games will be played. :-D
    And the score? Before the game? 0 - 0.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      Bump back to page one.... I attended the Colgate on Sat. night and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. I thought Watson looked sharp and overall we had some pretty good jump.
      I am long retired from the predication game, but what are people's thoughts for the upcoming homestand ?
      This is RPI we are talking about? You have to remember Kepler's laws. They are still valid.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

To my knowledge, none of that money had anything to do with hockey. There has been precious little news of the new rink that Galesi Group was looking to build at Mohawk Harbor...which they had trumpeted as the new home of Union hockey. The school to date has been non-committal so far on the idea. At last check the developers were looking for gov't money to make it a better idea (cuz if it was a good idea financially someone would have done it already...! Ha ha). The state budget is in the sausage making phase at the moment so the possibility certainly remains that the legislature will throw some money at the idea...
        That reminds me of the fiasco that was the City Center rink in Schenectady. It was built around 1980 and was supposed to join with Proctor's in drawing people downtown. However, it didn't have a viable business model. There wasn't enough school and youth hockey business to carry it and it was too small (perhaps a 1000 seats or so) to be used as a professional facility. A local businessman with more hope than money or common sense tried to put a team, the Schenectady Chiefs, in the Atlantic Coast Hockey League (the same league that would later include the ill-fated Troy Slapshots at the Field House) which lasted only a month or two before going out of business. Does anyone know what happened to City Center rink?

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

That reminds me of the fiasco that was the City Center rink in Schenectady. It was built around 1980 and was supposed to join with Proctor's in drawing people downtown. However, it didn't have a viable business model. There wasn't enough school and youth hockey business to carry it and it was too small (perhaps a 1000 seats or so) to be used as a professional facility. A local businessman with more hope than money or common sense tried to put a team, the Schenectady Chiefs, in the Atlantic Coast Hockey League (the same league that would later include the ill-fated Troy Slapshots at the Field House) which lasted only a month or two before going out of business. Does anyone know what happened to City Center rink?
          All true... and if memory serves Union contemplated moving their hockey teams to Center City....but IIRC the students were surveyed and voted the idea down. The rink is long gone and was redeveloped into office/retail/restaurant space.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

All true... and if memory serves Union contemplated moving their hockey teams to Center City....but IIRC the students were surveyed and voted the idea down. The rink is long gone and was redeveloped into office/retail/restaurant space.
            Played a lot of youth hockey there. I remember Mike Addessa's hockey school was moved there the year the Field House was renovated.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

This is RPI we are talking about? You have to remember Kepler's laws. They are still valid.
              Tell me that you are on an RPI thread without telling me you are on an RPI thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post

Tell me that you are on an RPI thread without telling me you are on an RPI thread.
                The popcorn machine is on fire....
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• USCHO article about RPI.
                  https://www.uscho.com/2023/02/09/thi...nce-standings/
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post

Kepler's 3rd rule is as valid today as it has been for the almost 60 years I have followed RPI hockey. I cannot even list how many times i have lost a bet on RPI when they were a 'sure thing' and how often I was afraid to wager when they were a huge underdog (and they somehow won). Perhaps epitomized by 1991-1992 when as a #10 seed they went up to Burlington and smashed Vermont (#1 seed) 5-1 and then in Cambridge beat harvard in OT. Honestly felt they should have won in Boston at the ECAC tournament against SLU but Referee Murphy had a difference of opinion with me!

Comment

• Odds as of now. For the girls-against QU underdogs by 2.5 goals and against Princeton underdogs by 1.5
                      For our guys - Against Brown a 0.5 goal favorite and against Yale a 0.5 goal favorite.

This time of year so much will depend on the relative health of the teams. Lots of viral stuff going around and the unusual spell of warm weather in February is not helping that. Here at the Jersey Shore we are seeing a slight uptick of COVID cases (very few moderate to severe) but a myriad of other respiratory viral infections that are normally not categorized. Seasonal influenza has seemingly already peaked and not as many case being reported as had been expected.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Kepler's 3rd rule is as valid today as it has been for the almost 60 years I have followed RPI hockey. I cannot even list how many times i have lost a bet on RPI when they were a 'sure thing' and how often I was afraid to wager when they were a huge underdog (and they somehow won). Perhaps epitomized by 1991-1992 when as a #10 seed they went up to Burlington and smashed Vermont (#1 seed) 5-1 and then in Cambridge beat harvard in OT. Honestly felt they should have won in Boston at the ECAC tournament against SLU but Referee Murphy had a difference of opinion with me!
                        Can you remind me what the first 2 rules are? I remember them involving cornell and clarkson but nothing else

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post

Can you remind me what the first 2 rules are? I remember them involving cornell and clarkson but nothing else
                          As best i can recall they go something like this.

Rule #1 - Never bet Against Clarkson in the regular season (and never bet on them in the playoffs)
                          Rule #2 - Do not bet on Cornell in the regular season (or against them in the playoffs)
                          Rule #3 - Never bet for or against RPI ever.

Comment

• And they still apply (well, especially #1 and #3).

Comment

I believe the Center City rink itself was converted into a gym for the local YMCA. Schenectady CC used it for its hoops teams until the pandemic led to the program getting shut down.

Moving Union's teams to Center City would have been nuts.
                              Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 02-09-2023, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Does anyone know what the status of the Talkin Neers podcast is? No episodes since Dec 2nd, and I miss their weekly recaps & coach and team member chats.

Comment

Working...
                                X