No announcement yet.

RPI 2022-23: Return of the Schmidt and the Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to cornell and Colgate for two wins next week.

Comment

• Tough to look forward to next year's Mayor's Cup with a great deal of enthusiasm after tonight's debacle. It was mentioned on the game thread that the players and the students now regard Union as RPI's chief rival, so it seems unlikely that the series will be discontinued any time soon.

If I may digress from hockey for a moment -

Baseball fans of a certain vintage may remember that the Mets and Yankees used to play an annual exhibition game called the Mayor's Trophy. The game started in 1963 and was played almost every year through 1983, after which it was discontinued. It was reported at the time that the reason for ending the series was that the teams had trouble setting up their schedules to find a mutually convenient date to play the game, although Ron Guidry stated in later years that the real reason was because the players didn't like giving up an off day to play and risk injury in an exhibition game that they didn't really care about.

Perhaps by the 1980's the players had ceased to care about the game, but I recall an incident from 1970 which led me to believe that at least one of the players at that time cared very much about it.

I was in the Army, stationed at Fort Dix, NJ. One afternoon, I was sent on an errand to battalion headquarters.

When I got there, I noticed a soldier in fatigues, wearing PFC insignia. I thought I had seen him someplace before, but I couldn't think where.

I got close enough to read the name tape on his uniform. It said "Munson."

It was Yankee catcher Thurman Munson. In those Vietnam War days, it was common for ballplayers to enlist in the National Guard. Munson's National Guard unit had been called to duty in order to participate in training exercises at Fort Dix. And there he was.

He had come to battalion headquarters to ask for a pass for the evening so that he could go to New York City and play in the Mayor's Trophy game. With the Mets having won the World Series the year before, it was generally conceded that it would be a great boost to the Yankees' morale if they could beat the Mets in that game.

As far as I could find out, Munson did not participate in that Mayor's Trophy game, so apparently he was not granted the pass he requested. The Yankees didn't need him, as they won the game, 9-4.

Perhaps the charm of the Mayor's Cup hockey game will wear off one of these years, the way the Mayor's Trophy did. I just hope the series won't end on such a stinker as tonight's game, though.

Comment

• This team and coaching staff need to spend Sunday examining their entire approach. We know they aren't the most talented team in the ECAC, but there's no excuse for being able to play a competitive weekend at home against the North Country rivals bracketed by 3 abysmal road games against 3 of the weakest teams in the league. Their failure to win even a single road game while playing competitive hockey at home tells me they are sorely lacking in the leadership department. We know that Coach Smith believes in developing a culture of leadership within the players, but that may not exist on this roster. Even good players and good people aren't necessarily leaders. He has to determine whether our leadership left in the transfer portal after last season and the players must look to themselves to deterrmine whether they've stepped up sufficiently into necessary roles. Either the coaching style has to change or the players have to drive change from within, but make no mistake, something has to change immediately if this team is to play competitively through the last month of this season (and, probably, next season as well).

Comment

• I have tried to make sense of it all and understand why they aren’t a consistent team. The only thing I can come up with seems to be the women’s team is the one to watch. The women are also not the most talented team. But their attitude, team spirit, and work ethic is turning them into a team that exceeds the sum of its parts. Not to mention they always get great and consistent goaltending. You simply can’t argue RPI has more to offer recruits for women than for men. I don’t expect the men will be in the top 4 in the ECAC. I do expect them to show up every game to be competitive. This was the Mayor’s Cup game. The next best thing to a holiday tournament. To get a shellacking by Union a few weeks ago makes me wonder why they weren’t all over Union from the opening face off.

Comment

• Looking like another 10/12 win season. I’m just as confused today as I was 5/6 years ago when they offered the job to an Atlantic hockey coach with a bad overall record in the weakest league in college hockey. I’m not surprised we suck this is exactly who we hired. He’s a sub 500 coach nobody should be suprised by lack of consistency or talent. Take a look at what Maine is doing if you need further proof. Benny Barr has the them playing hard consistent in year 2 and he has NHL talent coming in next year. I see no recruit next year other than Wallace if he’s even coming and hotson as good players.
            That’s the bad the good is DR smitty isn’t going to put up with this crap. I don’t see smith lasting long. If we have another **** poor season next year which I have no doubt we will I think we’re getting into letting smith go territory. Who knows if loose to Yale in the big red freakout that might be enough? Lol and you know we will lose to Yale. Theirs simply to many young really great coaches out their to let this **** keep going. The young man who’s leading Dubuque is a god place to start. Mcelroy ****ed up the Barr hire can’t do it again.

Comment

• Lose to Yale

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post
                Looking like another 10/12 win season. I’m just as confused today as I was 5/6 years ago when they offered the job to an Atlantic hockey coach with a bad overall record in the weakest league in college hockey. I’m not surprised we suck this is exactly who we hired. He’s a sub 500 coach nobody should be suprised by lack of consistency or talent. Take a look at what Maine is doing if you need further proof. Benny Barr has the them playing hard consistent in year 2 and he has NHL talent coming in next year. I see no recruit next year other than Wallace if he’s even coming and hotson as good players.
                That’s the bad the good is DR smitty isn’t going to put up with this crap. I don’t see smith lasting long. If we have another **** poor season next year which I have no doubt we will I think we’re getting into letting smith go territory. Who knows if loose to Yale in the big red freakout that might be enough? Lol and you know we will lose to Yale. Theirs simply to many young really great coaches out their to let this **** keep going. The young man who’s leading Dubuque is a god place to start. Mcelroy ****ed up the Barr hire can’t do it again.
                Great take Engineers. I said the same thing last summer but the splainers here said I was shilling for my Great Coach. I'll get the same ad hominen attacks again because there 's no way to defend what's going on under Dave's tenure . The Mayor's Cup was the biggest game this team will play all year and they were not competitve (out played). Marty got talked into this extension by some of the older alumni; he'll need to do something quick because this thing is going down quick. Lee needs to step up but of course he won't (semi retired). #HireKirk
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                  Their failure to win even a single road game while playing competitive hockey at home tells me they are sorely lacking in the leadership department.
                  Starts with the Coach, gotta teach, instill it and recruit for it.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• I have been informed by an alumni that Reid Leibold has left the program. Reid, wishing you all the best in your future.

Comment

Theirs simply to many young really great coaches out their to let this **** keep going. The young man who’s leading Dubuque is a god place to start. Mcelroy ****ed up the Barr hire can’t do it again.
                      #HireKirk

Comment

• #1 Rule of Leadership The Fish Stinks From the Head down !!!
                        What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Looking like another 10/12 win season. I’m just as confused today as I was 5/6 years ago when they offered the job to an Atlantic hockey coach with a bad overall record in the weakest league in college hockey. I’m not surprised we suck this is exactly who we hired. He’s a sub 500 coach nobody should be suprised by lack of consistency or talent. Take a look at what Maine is doing if you need further proof. Benny Barr has the them playing hard consistent in year 2 and he has NHL talent coming in next year. I see no recruit next year other than Wallace if he’s even coming and hotson as good players.
                          As for this season, I think we knew that goals would be a challenge. Injuries have also an issue and guys have been playing banged up: one player broke a bone in his foot in the first month of the season, but he's always out there. The goaltending hasn't been at the same level as last year and that's hurt them badly. The defensive lapses are frustrating and not helping the goaltenders.

My personal opinion is that Ben Barr was not hired because he struck the decision makers as not much different than the person he was replacing: a good recruiter from successful programs, but no head coaching or NHL assistant experience. That might have been the wrong decision in the long run, but I can understand why the school was looking for a different profile after Appert.

Dave Smith was starting to turn things around and I don't think you can overstate how this program has been set back by the decision to completely prevent the team from practicing in 20-21, after the team was on fire in March 2020. This harmed recruiting and led to some departures that would have been avoided otherwise. I don't think that Ben Barr would be doing much better in that environment.

There are some structural issues here as well that might be harder to address. It's a tough moment to make investments in facilities unless some generous alumni appear. The new transfer and NIL rules add a new dynamic that requires schools in the same position as RPI to make some uncomfortable decisions. Down the road at Siena, the school has endorsed an alumni-formed collective that tries organize sponsorship opportunities for student athletes. While that is creative, that also creates a variety of other issues that a school might want to avoid.

Comment

• This all started when they moved the band from behind the goal. Not a shot at the band l, love their energy. Just need to move them back where they belong. There is my conspiracy theory for this past decade of performances.
                            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

• Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                              This all started when they moved the band from behind the goal. Not a shot at the band l, love their energy. Just need to move them back where they belong. There is my conspiracy theory for this past decade of performances.
                              That would definitely be an improvement!

Comment

• Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                                This all started when they moved the band from behind the goal. Not a shot at the band l, love their energy. Just need to move them back where they belong. There is my conspiracy theory for this past decade of performances.
                                I call it the Flag dude curse

Comment

Working...
                                X