RPI 2022-23: Return of the Schmidt and the Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Shame the video on the site shows the stands 90% empty. Wish they had a short clip from one of the earlier Freak Outs!
    Nobody on this thread or anywhere else for that matter best concisely summed up why it is so as did Times Union writer Chris Churchill. It was part of one of his op-eds written in the form of an open letter to the new president of RPI a few weeks ago.

The relevant part to the subject matter on this thread read as follows:

"Now, I would never suggest that athletics should be a top priority of a university president. Far from it. But sports are a way that schools build ties with their communities, as used to be the case at RPI. The hockey team, in particular, was something Troy celebrated".

"In recent years, though, in part because of COVID restrictions that felt excessive, the community hasn't felt welcome at games and RPI certainly hasn't generated buzz for its teams".

Very definition of clear, concise and correct with the operative words being the community hasn't felt welcome at games. That is why the video looks as it does.

Comment

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

Nobody on this thread or anywhere else for that matter best concisely summed up why it is so as did Times Union writer Chris Churchill. It was part of one of his op-eds written in the form of an open letter to the new president of RPI a few weeks ago.

The relevant part to the subject matter on this thread read as follows:

"Now, I would never suggest that athletics should be a top priority of a university president. Far from it. But sports are a way that schools build ties with their communities, as used to be the case at RPI. The hockey team, in particular, was something Troy celebrated".

"In recent years, though, in part because of COVID restrictions that felt excessive, the community hasn't felt welcome at games and RPI certainly hasn't generated buzz for its teams".

Very definition of clear, concise and correct with the operative words being the community hasn't felt welcome at games. That is why the video looks as it does.
      Tony, there are many reasons why the field house is empty this year.
      Covid restrictions are only part of it.
      The main reason is the team. If you are not winning, the fans won't come.
      Believe me, if we had Quinnipiac's record, the building would be filled for every game.
      Then there is the crowd. I haven't been to a game in three years. Not because I didn't want to go, but for health reasons, I couldn't make the two hour trip to the games.
      When I could, I would sit in the "town" section, where the bulk of the crowd was senior citizens ( one of which was me).
      Unfortunately, senior citizens have a way of fading away for many reasons.
      Then there was the pandemic. I don't know what the death rate was in the capital district was, but I bet that took a few fans away.
      So you can't blame the whole thing on Shirley's policies, but I am sure that you will continue.
      She is gone, rejoice.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

• Since I suspect not everyone reads the recruit thread, I will post this here too:

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        If anyone is interested, The Hill School with Ryan Sanborn will be playing at Albany Academy at 1 PM on 1/8/23. It's the second half of a home and home.
        https://www.thehill.org/athletics/te...oys/ice-hockey
        RPI doesn't have a game on 1/8. Sanborn appears to be the goalie who will eventually replace Watson.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• I just got an email from Coach Smith stating that Rory Herrman has graduated this month and is turning pro.

Cardiff Devils (EIHL) https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...robert-herrman
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• More re Herrman from USCHO https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1605268331300265997
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Cardiff had reason to think well of RPI alums after Andrew Lord became a major factor in making a consistent winner out of that club.

Comment

• Prior to USCHO starting in 1999, there was a strictly RPI hockey message board run by a manager of the hockey team. IIRC, he also owned a bicycle store. Does anyone remember any details?
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-23-2022, 08:46 AM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Prior to USCHO starting in 1999, there was a strictly RPI hockey message board run by a manager of the hockey team. IIRC, he also owned a bicycle store. Does anyone remember and details?
                  No-but I had heard about a girl who worked at Mame Faye's who had a bicycle and she peddled it all around Troy!

(For those not old enough to understand - either google it)
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

No-but I had heard about a girl who worked at Mame Faye's who had a bicycle and she peddled it all around Troy!

(For those not old enough to understand - either google it)
                    Interesting that they named a tugboat after her.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Wrote up a mid-season review https://twitter.com/sezenack/status/...0InkVDY7DB6ChA

Comment

• BG is a 1/2 goal favorite for both games this week. Likely scores being 3-2 each night.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                          Thanks Sez- nice review of the positives we have seen. Will need to see a lot more of these as the schedule gets really tough with mostly all ECAC games.

Comment

• I heard the HFH has applied for a liquor license. Can anyone confirm this? I am just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
                              I heard the HFH has applied for a liquor license. Can anyone confirm this? I am just curious.
                              Interesting. I had not heard that, but would be happy to be able to purchase an adult beverage at a game. I know Colgate offers a few craft beers and wine ....Clarkson sells it in the pub adjacent to the rink (can't bring it into the arena though). I'm not sure how many other schools may offer booze..?
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Why stop with selling alcohol? I mean pot is legal now and if people could smoke pot at games, think how much more popcorn and stuff they would sell.

Comment

Working...
                                X