No announcement yet.

RPI 2022-23: Return of the Schmidt and the Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smitty's weekly radio call-in with 104.5 the Team.
    https://1045theteam.com/hear-why-dav...-his-rpi-team/

Not much in the way of insights, Smith was downplaying the road losses... Said that he really likes the team and that while he was happy with their effort, the team's inexperience was costly. They got "tentative" after going up 2-0 at SLU. Overall looking for the team to learn execute under pressure....ie clean break outs instead of the chipping /survival clears we saw last weekend. They are working and drilling that this week in practice. More offensive zone time with quality puck possessions ... more Grade A chances.

The fill-in interviewer didn't bother to ask about keys to the games vs. H & D.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      Smitty's weekly radio call-in with 104.5 the Team.
      https://1045theteam.com/hear-why-dav...-his-rpi-team/

Not much in the way of insights, Smith was downplaying the road losses... Said that he really likes the team and that while he was happy with their effort, the team's inexperience was costly. They got "tentative" after going up 2-0 at SLU. Overall looking for the team to learn execute under pressure....ie clean break outs instead of the chipping /survival clears we saw last weekend. They are working and drilling that this week in practice. More offensive zone time with quality puck possessions ... more Grade A chances.

The fill-in interviewer didn't bother to ask about keys to the games vs. H & D.
      Thanks for posting these links.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• First round of the ECAC playoffs will be a single game, not best-of-three.
        https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...son-Format.php
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• I am not a fan of the 1 game and done format. One good game and you are in the quarter finals. How many times has a series split in the last few years? I would like to see some data on this.

Comment

• I don't have any data, but my impression has been that the first round best-of-three series have tended not to attract very many fans, especially on the third night if it goes to three games.

Maybe somebody thinks that if the first round is one game, fans will show up for that one game.

I'm wondering whether the one game will be played on the first weekend in March, with the quarterfinals coming the following weekend, or whether the one game will be on Tuesday, Feb. 28 or Wednesday, Mar. 1, with the quarterfinals then being played Mar. 3-5. The College Hockey News article is silent on that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
              I am not a fan of the 1 game and done format. One good game and you are in the quarter finals. How many times has a series split in the last few years? I would like to see some data on this.
              Not quite as bad as it once was. After all, in this round all you are dealing with is a bunch of also rans. Really should not be using three nights just to get rid of four of them anyway.

Dumb was sometime in the 90's with top seed Harvard being taken out in a single game. Outright stupid was sometime in the early 70's with top seed UNH being taken out in a single game. The latter was a season ender as there were no back or side doors in to a four team NCAA in the 70's.

Guess who in both instances was the number eight seed that took them both out? The first time was the first time it ever happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                I don't have any data, but my impression has been that the first round best-of-three series have tended not to attract very many fans, especially on the third night if it goes to three games.

Maybe somebody thinks that if the first round is one game, fans will show up for that one game.

I'm wondering whether the one game will be played on the first weekend in March, with the quarterfinals coming the following weekend, or whether the one game will be on Tuesday, Feb. 28 or Wednesday, Mar. 1, with the quarterfinals then being played Mar. 3-5. The College Hockey News article is silent on that point.
                The official release shows it as a separate weekend. It also states that the women will have a 12-team playoff structure starting next season.
                https://ecachockey.com/news/2022/11/...structure.aspx
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-10-2022, 12:19 AM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• For RPI season ticket holders, this means an automatic refund for at least 2 games since we had to pay for 3 playoff games.

Comment

• With the championship being decided with a one and done game, why bother having the lead up games be two out of three. It seems to me that it is backwards.
                    The championship should be a series, not the other way around. JMO
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      First round of the ECAC playoffs will be a single game, not best-of-three.
                      https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...son-Format.php
                      I guess this biggest question I have is what led them to announce this decision now, in the middle of the season instead of in the off-season when these types of changes are typically made. We've not been given the whole story....surprise surprise.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• From an old time hockey fan - who always felt it was the best of the major sports. The more they have tinkered around with it, the more they have ruined it. Can imagine soon they will get rid of OT in the Stanley Cup and decide the winner with penalty kicks ( I mean shots) as they have in Soccer. What next, deciding the Baseball World Series with a home run derby? End the Super Bowl with alternating teams taking field goal kicks from midfield? here is my vote for old time hockey!
                        Last edited by DrDemento; 11-10-2022, 07:20 PM.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          From an old time hockey fan - who always felt it was the best of the major sports. The more they have tinkered around with it, the more they have ruined it. Can imagine soon they will get rid of OT in the Stanley Cup and decide the winner with penalty kicks ( I mean shots) as they have it Soccer. What next, deciding the Baseball World Series with a home run derby? End the Super Bowl with alternating teams taking field goal kicks from midfield? here is my vote for old time hockey!
                          Amen
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                            For RPI season ticket holders, this means an automatic refund for at least 2 games since we had to pay for 3 playoff games.
                            Not necessarily, because if we get a bye, we still start with a 3-game series.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Not necessarily, because if we get a bye, we still start with a 3-game series.
                              Oops. My bad.
                              I just hope I get the chance to use them…

Comment

• Blew a 2 goal lead for the second week in a row. The team played great hockey first 40 minutes then stopped playing in the 3rd? Can’t win many games playing like that especially against a team like Harvard with their 75 draft picks. Hands down our best players are muzzatti, evans, watson, smolinski. The rest of the team is pretty blah and not really a threat on the ice. Dr Schmidt was in the house which is great to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X