No announcement yet.

RPI 2022-23: Return of the Schmidt and the Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite amazing stats last night by Brooks Bandits alums. https://***********/nathandcrosby/st...20699291553792
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Football fans - RPI over Buffalo State 42-14 in a game that should have even been that close. RPI defense was so dominant that BSU did nothing for 3+ quarters and we had an advantage in first downs by 30-3. Total yards were 447-59. Then we played a bit of prevent defense and they were able to finally score an offensive touchdown against us. The first TD they got was a long interception on a poorly thrown pass out in the flat. Our rushing offense was impressive as we accumulated well over 300 yards before just about shutting down and playing everyone on the bench. But even second and third string players were have great days. I am still concerned about us having any real passing offense as now we face the last 4 games of the season against 3 Liberty League powerhouse teams. We are now overall 4-2 and all our success has been because of a dominating defense that ranks extremely high in Division III. But as was seen in a recent game we lost 3-0, unless we can develop a consistent passing attack, the next 4 weeks are going to be tough road.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• postgame interviews
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT6sVhXVJZE
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Last night was another example of why I hate the figure skating exhibition that is 3x3 OT, even though it helped us. On the winning goal one of the Mercyhurst forwards never got into the play and the other, I think it was St. Onge, skated right past Jack Brackett after he shot the puck and looped behind the net instead of picking up his assignment and ensuring that he couldn't get a rebound or return pass. Although he's one of their stars I'd park him on the bench for a few shifts to start the next game as a reminder. I probably shouldn't blame him, however, because in 3x3 all they do is skate around to maintain possession of the puck (often carrying it from the offensive end back to the defensive end if necessary - that's soccer, not hockey) and no one really plays any form of physical defense.
          Last edited by rpi82; 10-09-2022, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• short Saturday highlight video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mguVBRi4P4
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              short Saturday highlight video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mguVBRi4P4
              Thanks for the video RB. On the injury - i wonder why the ref did not put his arms out to either avoid or grab our boy skating into him? Hope this turns out to be a quick healing kind of thing as we need every cog for this machine.

Comment

• I see LIU tied Quinnipiac today. And their next game is against - guess who?

Doesn't appear that the Sharks are an opponent to be taken lightly.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                  Last night was another example of why I hate the figure skating exhibition that is 3x3 OT, even though it helped us. On the winning goal one of the Mercyhurst forwards never got into the play and the other, I think it was St. Onge, skated right past Jack Brackett after he shot the puck and looped behind the net instead of picking up his assignment and ensuring that he couldn't get a rebound or return pass. Although he's one of their stars I'd park him on the bench for a few shifts to start the next game as a reminder. I probably shouldn't blame him, however, because in 3x3 all they do is skate around to maintain possession of the puck (often carrying it from the offensive end back to the defensive end if necessary - that's soccer, not hockey) and no one really plays any form of physical defense.
                  I totally agree with what you said. But I would rather see that than a shoot out.
                  Shoot outs mad a mockery of what was once the most exciting play in sport. The penalty shot.
                  Also, going back to the 3 on 3, you correctly pointed out the non existence of defense, but you did not appreciate the offensive play that set up the goal.
                  Always good to get a weekend sweep no matter how we get it.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                    Last night was another example of why I hate the figure skating exhibition that is 3x3 OT, even though it helped us. On the winning goal one of the Mercyhurst forwards never got into the play and the other, I think it was St. Onge, skated right past Jack Brackett after he shot the puck and looped behind the net instead of picking up his assignment and ensuring that he couldn't get a rebound or return pass. Although he's one of their stars I'd park him on the bench for a few shifts to start the next game as a reminder. I probably shouldn't blame him, however, because in 3x3 all they do is skate around to maintain possession of the puck (often carrying it from the offensive end back to the defensive end if necessary - that's soccer, not hockey) and no one really plays any form of physical defense.
                    I am not a fan of ties, so I like the 3 on 3 format. I am not sure the objections you raise wouldn't also be applicable to a 5 on 5 overtime period. I wonder if anyone has tracked the impact on reducing the number of ties and shootouts.

Comment

• Jake Lee won ECAC Forward of the Week, and Jack Watson won ECAC Goalie of the Week. https://***********/RPI_Hockey/statu...59402733830144
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                        RPI decided to recruit speed, which was a positive factor throughout this weekend, especially in an open-ice overtime. RPI also has good goaltending (apart from that mental error on Friday) and that was a signficant factor all weekend--there were a couple of howlers from Mercyhurst's goalies-- and especially so on Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          i wonder why the ref did not put his arms out to either avoid or grab our boy skating into him?
                          Happened very quickly, and I have seen situations where trying to catch somebody can make things worse. During his post-game comments, Coach Smith seemed to think that the injury wasn't too severe, despite the initial concern. Hopefully, he's right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                            I see LIU tied Quinnipiac today. And their next game is against - guess who?

Doesn't appear that the Sharks are an opponent to be taken lightly.
                            Brett Riley is a promising young coach. They also have a hot goaltender: 43 saves against Northeastern and 37 against Quinnipiac.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Happened very quickly, and I have seen situations where trying to catch somebody can make things worse. During his post-game comments, Coach Smith seemed to think that the injury wasn't too severe, despite the initial concern. Hopefully, he's right.
                              It did happen quickly and from the short replay I had available, it did not look like the ref felt he was about to fall at all. Very hopeful that coach Smith is correct and he can be in the line up for next weekend. Before the season i felt next weekend would be perhaps the easiest for us all season but after the LIU/QU result, i think we may have our hands full. Never quite sure what Army brings to the table but their boys are always extremely fit and they always skate the full 60 minutes. You always have to be ready to skate against them all the way to the final buzzer. In the past many years agains tthem we have found taking them lightly is simply a big mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

I totally agree with what you said. But I would rather see that than a shoot out.
                                Shoot outs mad a mockery of what was once the most exciting play in sport. The penalty shot.
                                Also, going back to the 3 on 3, you correctly pointed out the non existence of defense, but you did not appreciate the offensive play that set up the goal.
                                Back in the dark ages OT was 10 minutes of 5x5. I don't have any firm data but it seemed that 1/2-2/3 ended with a winner. That was fine with me, but it was deemed that was a little too much extra time, especially if a team still had to travel and play another opponent the next night. So, IIRC, they went to 5 minutes but too many games were deemed to end in ties (and some leagues adopted the penalty shot tie breaker). The "solution" was 3x3, which definitely leads to a conclusion in most cases but it doesn't look like hockey to me. I'd rather they go 4x4, which at least would reduce the ridiculous amount of skating room and make defensive assignments clearer and more likely to be applied. If, after all that, the game ends in a tie then it was two equal teams for the night and an appropriate result. What's wrong with a team having a couple of ties per year?

As for the winning goal, the best play was actually made by Jakob Lee in the defensive zone. He challenged St. Onge for a loose puck in the corner. The puck popped up and Lee hit it with a one-handed backhand out of the air to send Jack Brackett off to the races and, eventually, the winning goal. I've watched it several times and Lee was spinning around so I'm not 100% sure he intentionally swung at the puck, but, if he did, it was a truly amazing play.
                                Last edited by rpi82; 10-11-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X