• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday postgame
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MSIh4AbZoU
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
      I was wondering if there are any rules regarding when a player gets ejected from the game. I had always thought the player has to leave and go back to the locker room. However, yesterday when Alaska’s player was ejected, he sat by the blue curtain at the end of the field and finished watching the game. At one point he was standing by the railing by the Zamboni doors.
      The NCAA rules are online, but the basic rules are that the ejected player cannot be in the bench area or the penalty boxes and is not allowed to communicate with other players and coaches during the game (obviously, the ejected player will interact with teammates and coaches in the locker room between periods). It is not a requirement that the player stay in the locker room; it is OK to sit in the stands away from the bench.

Comment

• Early odds for next weekend. The girls are a 1.5-2 goal favorite and our boys are a 0.5 goal underdog to Vermont. Our football team is an odds on 100% favorite for a much needed weekend of rest and relaxation after completing another fine season.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Early odds for next weekend. The girls are a 1.5-2 goal favorite and our boys are a 0.5 goal underdog to Vermont. Our football team is an odds on 100% favorite for a much needed weekend of rest and relaxation after completing another fine season.
          I am surprised that there is no difference between the home and away games vs. UVM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I am surprised that there is no difference between the home and away games vs. UVM.
            Agree-usually home ice is worth that slight edge of 0.5 goal. The odds makers this year have really been pretty good. They had our girls as 4.5 goal favorites over Post. I was not sure the girls could ever score enough to cover that but they actually doubled the spread!! They are fairly decent favorites once again this weekend for each game.

Comment

• My brother, who went to Williams College, mentioned in an e-mail that his alma mater's basketball team will be hosting RPI this Tuesday evening.

I'm not planning to travel to the game, but I did take a look at Williams' athletic website. To my surprise, it is headed by an announcement that Williams is going to require masks at all home athletic events from Nov. 27 through Dec. 6, due to the students, faculty, and staff returning to campus from their Thanksgiving break.

As far as I know, RPI is no longer requiring masks at athletic events.

Has the day finally arrived when somebody is showing more of "an abundance of caution" than RPI is?

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                My brother, who went to Williams College, mentioned in an e-mail that his alma mater's basketball team will be hosting RPI this Tuesday evening.

I'm not planning to travel to the game, but I did take a look at Williams' athletic website. To my surprise, it is headed by an announcement that Williams is going to require masks at all home athletic events from Nov. 27 through Dec. 6, due to the students, faculty, and staff returning to campus from their Thanksgiving break.

As far as I know, RPI is no longer requiring masks at athletic events.

Has the day finally arrived when somebody is showing more of "an abundance of caution" than RPI is?
                Can't thank you enough for the heads up, especially since it has been well over a year since most normal people stopped checking for this stuff around these parts (Williams is only 35 miles from Troy). Was considering combining a Tuesday trip to a well known Vermont shopping landmark with a hoop game on the way home. Not anymore!!! No more jumping through hoops for the whims of woke whack jobs, loons and nuts who possibly compensate for all of those by being totally bats. Really thought this stuff was limited to just one funny farm and that it was all in the past even at that One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Evidently not and it evidently was not only that one place either. Now really glad that I gave up my hockey season ticket so as to not risk another episode of academia bureaucrats going red snapper and putting protocols in place AFTER taking your money. Williams just proved that it could have happened and for reasons that, at best, sound pretty lame.

Once the spring of 2021 came and went is was never any longer about "an abundance of caution", medicine or science. Definitely not in this area. After that point it became little more than self serving and self promoting elitists demigods carrying out their insatiable lust for power and control. Why??? Because they could knowing full well that nobody could or would do anything about it or stop them, at least not at that moment in time.

However, that moment in time would eventually arrive and something those pea brains did not have the capacity to comprehend happened. Those they used and discarded for their personal agendas turned on them and instead became the users and discarders themselves. Just look at the attendance figures!!! Obviously, decades long regular supporters (myself included) are now either just using them as a last resort for entertainment and showing up only sporadically and only when there is absolutely nothing else to do (including even nothing good on TV) or have deep sixed them entirely.

As for the latest and greatest self appointed saviors of the public health in a small town 35 miles east of here, it appears both common sense and mental processing have declined even further than it did here. Mere cursory research shows that the Williams basketball arena holds 1,600 but they drew only 273 and 195 (468 total) for their two home games. The hockey arena holds 2,100 but they drew only 233, 301 and 99 (633 total) for their three home games. Put on a mask!!! Really!!! For numbers that could not even keep a market or a box store from going out of business and getting boarded up. Totally woke, totally looney tunes and totally bats!!!

Comment

• The condo where I live still requires masks outside of one's own unit. The only place this makes any sense at all to me is in the elevators; not in the lobby, the corridors, the garage, etc. Even in the elevators, large dogs concern me more than COVID.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The condo where I live still requires masks outside of one's own unit. The only place this makes any sense at all to me is in the elevators; not in the lobby, the corridors, the garage, etc. Even in the elevators, large dogs concern me more than COVID.
                    Then Jenny and I would have been a big concern for you years ago. When we met she had 3 Dobermans and I had a King German Shepherd (Rajah weighed about 164 without an ounce of fat on him). However, within a few years, our practice grew and being on call 24/7 no longer gave us the luxury of having dogs and we became cat rescuers. In those early days however, it was quite humorous to see people react to Jen (all 4'10" of her) being led down the street by a troika of huge dogs. You probably would have never had much to worry about since there was no way we could get all 4 of the dogs into an elevator at once!

Comment

The condo where I live still requires masks outside of one's own unit. The only place this makes any sense at all to me is in the elevators; not in the lobby, the corridors, the garage, etc. Even in the elevators, large dogs concern me more than COVID.
                      Assuming there is no state or local government mandates for condos where you live, will take a wild guess that the people who somehow, someway got to make these decisions for you have no more medical qualifications or knowledge than your plumber or electrician. Not even all that sure that state or local elected politicians ever possessed the necessary qualifications and knowledge to make all the decisions they made for us. A management group managing a condo??? Not a chance!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

Assuming there is no state or local government mandates for condos where you live, will take a wild guess that the people who somehow, someway got to make these decisions for you have no more medical qualifications or knowledge than your plumber or electrician. Not even all that sure that state or local elected politicians ever possessed the necessary qualifications and knowledge to make all the decisions they made for us. A management group managing a condo??? Not a chance!!!
                        There is a company managing the condo, but these decisions are probably made by the Board of Directors whom the owners, including me, vote for. I don't mind wearing a mask and have never been stopped when I forget. I just feel that it is not necessary in the lobby, etc.

BTW, DC is not a state. :-D
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-29-2022, 02:23 PM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Then Jenny and I would have been a big concern for you years ago. When we met she had 3 Dobermans and I had a King German Shepherd (Rajah weighed about 164 without an ounce of fat on him). However, within a few years, our practice grew and being on call 24/7 no longer gave us the luxury of having dogs and we became cat rescuers. In those early days however, it was quite humorous to see people react to Jen (all 4'10" of her) being led down the street by a troika of huge dogs. You probably would have never had much to worry about since there was no way we could get all 4 of the dogs into an elevator at once!
                          When I moved here, there was a size limit on dogs. That disappeared about 10 years ago.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

When I moved here, there was a size limit on dogs. That disappeared about 10 years ago.
                            We do not have a size limit here and never had. We do, however, have a state law which restricts certain breeds. Back in the early 1970's when we first started in NJ we had thought about two different breeds to have and we were told by the State Police that they were both restricted. up in the Adirondacks we could have had anything we wanted at the time. Not sure if that is the case now that the state seems to be run the way NJ is with some very strict, and non sensible, controls.

Comment

• Mike Addesa passed away. :-(

https://***********/HNIBonline/statu...68933369581575
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Albany Times Union coverage: https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...edium=referral

Former RPI men's hockey coach Mike Addesa, who led the Engineers to the 1985 NCAA Division I championship, died Tuesday night. He was 77.

The Worcester (Mass.) Railers Junior Hockey Club, where Addesa worked as general manager, announced his death on social media. The cause wasn't immediately available. He lived in Andover, Mass., with his wife, Mary.

Word spread quickly among RPI hockey alumni, including Mike Sadeghpour, the captain of the 1985 team. "Haven't spoken to the family yet, or anything like that, so it was kind of surprising to a lot of us," Sadeghpour said Wednesday. Sadeghpour recalled Adessa was a standout college football player at Holy Cross who crossed that knowledge into hockey.

"Legendary, like, bigger than life," Sadeghpour said of Addessa. "He came to RPI and, at the time, the program was down. ... He took the principles and discipline of football and applied them to hockey where there were specific breakouts and coverages in all three zones and penalty-killing and power play. That was very new and different back then and that gave us an incredible competitive advantage on the folks that we played while Mike also then went out and was a master recruiter."

Addesa directed that 1984-85 team, which starred future Hockey Hall of Famer Adam Oates, to a 35-2-1 record capped by a 2-1 victory over Providence in the national title game in Detroit. He went 186-124-9 over 10 seasons in Troy from 1979-89.

But his tenure with the Engineers ended with three straight losing seasons and controversy. He resigned in 1989 after directing a racial slur at Graeme Townshend, a Black RPI player. Townshend forgave Adessa for the incident and said the two last spoke about 18 months ago.

"I thought he was a man that, first of all, gave me and my teammates a great opportunity to pursue our education and our hockey goals," Townshend said. "I thought he was a great coach, a great motivator. I think he really cared about his players and it's just a sad day that he's passed. He and I over the years have been able to reconcile the differences we've had way in the past and it's nice to be able to have contact with him. It's just sad that we don't have more time together."

Towshend called Mary Addesa "an incredible woman" who made Thanksgiving his favorite holiday during his RPI career.

"She really loved us and took care of us," Townshend said. "I feel terrible for her because she definitely loved him deeply."

After RPI, Mike Addesa worked as a scout for the Detroit Red Wings, Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks and coached junior hockey. He told the Times Union in 1995 that "I've never recovered."

"I've tried like heck to get back and coach college hockey, but it looks like nobody's going to give me that chance," said Addesa, adding the damage done to his wife and five children was "devastating."

However, Addesa sounded a much more positive note in 2010 when he prepared to return to Troy for the 25th anniversary reunion of the 1985 championship team.

"It's going to feel natural for me to go back, like nothing ever happened," Addesa said then. "I mean, all of my thoughts of the Capital District and RPI are extremely positive. It was an easy sell for me when I got the invitation."

Two years ago, Addesa reminisced about his players tossing him in the shower and ruining his corduroy sport coat after the championship game win over Providence.

"I was just so fortunate," Addesa said. "I really, really loved that team and I really love them today."

"The one thing I would say is, he was an innovator, incredibly driven and committed," Sadeghpour said. "Just one of those people in your life that pushed in you and believed in you more than you did yourself. When you reflect on your time with him, you're like, 'He got me to a place I didn't think I could get to.' "

Comment

Working...
                                X