Michigan Hockey 22-23, new coach, new players, new era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

First, that would be very cool. Second, it's about darned time.

And that would probably lead to some renovations at Yost- since I would *hope* a women's team would get their own locker.

Oh, that would also probably open the other Michigan schools, especially State.
    I've mentioned on forum before that MSU could have years ago put a woman's team in their old arena, Demonstration Hall but they put flooring in it and gave it to the band and made no provision for one with all the recent renovations to Munn.
    Bonnie told me she didn't know what the mindset was on where a Michigan women's team would play or be housed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

I've mentioned on forum before that MSU could have years ago put a woman's team in their old arena, Demonstration Hall but they put flooring in it and gave it to the band and made no provision for one with all the recent renovations to Munn.
      Bonnie told me she didn't know what the mindset was on where a Michigan women's team would play or be housed.
      Yost is already used for other amateur hockey- so converting a pair of the 4 extra rooms to the women should be pretty easy, theoretically. And the hockey office area used to house 2 other programs until the new athletic campus was finished- so adding office space for another team would also be pretty easy, theoretically.

As for the visitors- the current locker would be fine- it's already not all that great, with those odd temporary walls. But those are needed so that there's a direct route to the outside.

Not followed what's going on at Munn, as it's been a long time since we've been to a game there- but there *used* to be 4 full separate lockers. Munn used to host regional tournaments. And back then, there were 6 teams in a regional.

We have other rinks here in AA, but Yost just makes more sense.

Comment

First, that would be very cool. Second, it's about darned time.
        Didn't Red some years ago make a statement that he'd never share Yost with a woman's program?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Didn't Red some years ago make a statement that he'd never share Yost with a woman's program?
          I don't know. He may have, but I'm not aware of it.

Comment

• Congratulations on your win, do the Big Ten proud at the FF!

Comment

• Wow, just wow. After we scored, the way PSU pressed, I didn't have a lot of confidence there, but that happened so fast, and from a spot that Souliere did really well all day. Wow.

And it was nerve wracking when the D turned it over so much for odd man rushes, but Portillo was really strong today. The goal he gave up- the only fault was where the rebound was directed- but hey, can't have everything.

I need to calm down- having an interim coach take the team to the Frozen Four is pretty something. It took a while for the team to fully be put together, but its working well, now. And I was content that this wasn't the game given the puck luck right up until Fantilli's goal.

We are going to the Frozen Four, again!

Comment

• And now the FF has two first year coaches. Although, ours is still "interim". I suppose that will get taken off the label no matter what happens in two weeks- it took a while to get them all working together, but the team is playing so much better now than they were earlier in the season. And I have to give Coach Narauto a lot of credit to keep the team from getting frustrated with all of those shots and not scoring- that's happened before. Especially with a young team.

Oh, and some very contrasting team ages, too- the B1G is bringing two of the youngest teams in the country, where BU and QU have a lot more experience under their belts.

QU looked really solid against OSU, so that will be a very, very tough nut to crack.

Comment

• Wow. That was exciting, thrilling, nerve-wracking, nail-biting, had me up in knots kind of game.

We bought our Frozen Four tickets back during the priority process, and after the ups and downs of the team this Fall, I didn't expect us in the Frozen Four. I am beyond excited.

Go Blue!
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                    Wow. That was exciting, thrilling, nerve-wracking, nail-biting, had me up in knots kind of game.

We bought our Frozen Four tickets back during the priority process, and after the ups and downs of the team this Fall, I didn't expect us in the Frozen Four. I am beyond excited.

Go Blue!
                    We've decided that are nerves are already more than shot, and will go if we play Saturday. We've done that twice, and it's turned out well.....

Comment

• As I reflect a little more on the regional final, I am more impressed by this team. I had grown used to the strong offensive Michigan teams that run into a good goalie and allow frustration to get to them. This team just kept going at it. Get pucks on goal and something may eventually go in.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Just watched the highlight of Hughes saving the game in the 3rd- he stopped a very, very open backhand shot from going in that would have made the game 2-0. Which we know would have been tough to tie by the end of regulation.

So as much as he gave PSU chances from poor turnovers, he stopped a probable game winning goal. Wow, again.

Comment

• no one mentions how many times Hughes was walked or caught up ice. just sayin, he is going to be a really good NHL player and is a talent.
                          Great to see Mackie, get the winner he is going to be a Matty B type player in the NHL. Man I have always been a Naruato fan, if he was at a different school where the super agent is handing them NHL top prospects, his ability to recruit would really shine. Put him at OSU or Q he would attract some really top talent. He is a top A coach and his players respond to him

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
                            no one mentions how many times Hughes was walked or caught up ice. just sayin, he is going to be a really good NHL player and is a talent.
                            That happens so much it's become the usual Hughes mistakes. The source of most of the odd man rushes.... It's gotten less, but sometimes he just needs to simplify when players are within 5 feet of him. Not all the time- he makes some great moves with the puck, but at least when there are two.

Comment

That happens so much it's become the usual Hughes mistakes. The source of most of the odd man rushes.... It's gotten less, but sometimes he just needs to simplify when players are within 5 feet of him. Not all the time- he makes some great moves with the puck, but at least when there are two.
                              Which Hughes are we talking about? Didn't Quinn have the same issues? If the forwards that are out with him recognize and one falls back when Hughes is up it's ok, and I have seen those adjustments sometimes.

Arenas visited:

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

Which Hughes are we talking about? Didn't Quinn have the same issues? If the forwards that are out with him recognize and one falls back when Hughes is up it's ok, and I have seen those adjustments sometimes.
                                Luke. Because of short memory.

And given how they are playing out, I think teams are planning for it, and jump him really quickly to cause enough confusion that he makes a bad play enough times to be a problem. PSU remembers how he took them apart earlier in the season, and compensated for it well, especially seeing how he is still susceptible to errors. That's where I think he and his forwards need to come up with a quick play to deal with it- especially when there are two coming at him- that leaves the rest of the offense with a one man advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                X