No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 22-23, new coach, new players, new era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear moron, don’t tell me you are not disappointed when you lose, and you don’t say- “if they just..,”.

Unless you are fine with your team losing. And I guess based on your posts, you must be content when they lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

We are better than everyone else, except when we need excuses for not being better than everyone else.
      It's pretty simple. Mostly, we're just better than everyone else.

I've been reading excuses pretty much every Sunday.

Comment

• Note that Saturday's game is a 6:30 start.

When we faced off against the *eyes at Yost in January the result was a split. Last month was a tie in Columbus and a stupid outdoor game that I don't care what the result was, outdoor games are a farce.

Should be a good game this weekend. I hope the team gets off to a good strong start.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Note that Saturday's game is a 6:30 start.

When we faced off against the *eyes at Yost in January the result was a split. Last month was a tie in Columbus and a stupid outdoor game that I don't care what the result was, outdoor games are a farce.

Should be a good game this weekend. I hope the team gets off to a good strong start.
          Happy about the early start, but hope the team can use it well…

Comment

• Pretty solid win- except for the PK. And Yost was really hopping last night- the crowd was nuts.

Can't see them winning the whole thing playing like that, but they really shot the puck where the goalie really had a tough time seeing it- 4 of the goals were from a very similar spot near the left (to the goalie) face off dot.

Comment

• Noticed on the mgoblog site that there's honest belief that a #1 seed is going to happen, regardless. I'm not going to run the numbers, but it really doesn't make sense to me that BU or Harvard can't pass us in PWR if we lose next weekend. At least a #1 or 2 regional seed....

Not a bad first season for Naurato, but I really think the D is lacking a lot. Much better last night, but still have the chronic problems that Red had for most of the last 20 seasons- where there's a time where the 5 on 5 play looks like a PK or there's just a really obvious turn over that should never happen. Seems that out D was more effective last night because we pinned them in the O zone long enough to force a change. It sure worked at keeping them from getting pucks on Portillo.

Comment

• The D was better but you can predict a goal when the players start running around out of position leaving someone open.
                Portillo needs to look before he tries to move the puck. He has dished off to the enemy almost as much as a teammate. He has gotten a little better and I wonder if there needs to be better communication with his teammates on where to go. (forward or behind him)
                I think if they play Minn like OSU there is a very good chance of knocking them off.
                He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                  Noticed on the mgoblog site that there's honest belief that a #1 seed is going to happen, regardless. I'm not going to run the numbers, but it really doesn't make sense to me that BU or Harvard can't pass us in PWR if we lose next weekend. At least a #1 or 2 regional seed....

Not a bad first season for Naurato, but I really think the D is lacking a lot. Much better last night, but still have the chronic problems that Red had for most of the last 20 seasons- where there's a time where the 5 on 5 play looks like a PK or there's just a really obvious turn over that should never happen. Seems that out D was more effective last night because we pinned them in the O zone long enough to force a change. It sure worked at keeping them from getting pucks on Portillo.
                  I tried running pwr predictor with us losing and both BU and Harvard winning against the highest ranked teams in their playoffs and that scenario (along with other favorites winning) allowed both BU and Harvard to jump us in the pairwise, showing a 4th place 'tie' but Michigan at the bottom of that tie, effectively 6th place. Either way, we should just try to beat the Gophers.

A B1G title would be really nice, and I'm not holding out hope for NCAAs. Too much sloppy play, weak special teams and usually too many penalties. I was excited we made it through a whole period without penalties Saturday. My fear in the NCAA tournament is that it looks like B1G officials have been calling more penalties than other conferences, which could lead to frustration of guys getting a lot of contact that doesn't get called leading to some retaliation that will get called.

As for Naurato, I agree, decent season for our interim head coach. Anyone else notice how B1G coach of the year finalists were basically if your team made semi-finals and there wasn't an interim in your head coach title?

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

As for Naurato, I agree, decent season for our interim head coach. Anyone else notice how B1G coach of the year finalists were basically if your team made semi-finals and there wasn't an interim in your head coach title?
                    He had a pretty tough time jumping in so late (and I still fault our AD for that). So yea, one of the finalists is kind of odd- since Michigan isn't given credit because of talent....

Comment

• More fun with pairwise predictor:
                      If we lose and favorites win except Lowell upsetting Merrimack so that BU beats lower ranking Lowell for the HE title, then we stay 4th just ahead of BU.

I'm also poking around to see if there is any scenario that MSU sneaks into the last spot....but it looks like they are solidly at 16, with the AHA autobid taking that last spot.

Arenas visited:

Comment

• Well, that takes care of what seed we will be, 2023 B1G champs!! Wow.

(and for I don't know how many time I post this- watching these to teams play is both stressful and really fun. The whole game finished in under 2 hours.)

Still things to address going into the tournament, but they are getting to the details now as opposed to massive faults. Really good to see the team improve.

As and aside, nice to see the interim coach beat the B1G coach of the year like that. The interim coach who didn't even make the final 3 for B1G coach of the year.

Comment

• One other note, that color commentator is a moron. The "offsides" call- besides the MN player touching the puck last, all three Michigan players were on side before the puck was played. So even it it wasn't touched, it was on-sides.

That wasn't the only one, but the one he kept repeating.

Comment

• That was exciting. I was nervous, but not too much because we knew our season continues no matter the B1G outcome.

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                            One other note, that color commentator is a moron. The "offsides" call- besides the MN player touching the puck last, all three Michigan players were on side before the puck was played. So even it it wasn't touched, it was on-sides.

That wasn't the only one, but the one he kept repeating.
                            Yup. I was surprised neither commentator picked up on that all players were onsides before any Michigan player touched the puck in the zone. That's how I explained it to my husband. He wanted to know why the guys calling the game didn't understand the call.

Arenas visited:

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                              Well, that takes care of what seed we will be, 2023 B1G champs!! Wow.

(and for I don't know how many time I post this- watching these to teams play is both stressful and really fun. The whole game finished in under 2 hours.)

Still things to address going into the tournament, but they are getting to the details now as opposed to massive faults. Really good to see the team improve.

As and aside, nice to see the interim coach beat the B1G coach of the year like that. The interim coach who didn't even make the final 3 for B1G coach of the year.
                              Credit where credit is due. A good game by both teams tonight. Could have gone either way. I thought MN had the better chances (by a small margin, but Portillo did his job). The atmosphere at the game was pretty unreal and both teams didn't disappoint. Two things I will b*tch about from the game, why were both teams so dreadful on their PP's. I mean there were short handed chances for each team. Both teams better clean that up. The second thing, what is with these big goalies and nets coming loose? The first few didn't bother me, but that last one Cooley had a grade A chance and it's a shame these loose nets are stopping the momentum of the plays. If I had the option, I'd rather see these two play a 7 game series than deal with the NCAA format LOL. Such amazing hockey. See you in Tampa, hopefully.

Comment

• Originally posted by StateofHockey78 View Post

Credit where credit is due. A good game by both teams tonight. Could have gone either way. I thought MN had the better chances (by a small margin, but Portillo did his job). The atmosphere at the game was pretty unreal and both teams didn't disappoint. Two things I will b*tch about from the game, why were both teams so dreadful on their PP's. I mean there were short handed chances for each team. Both teams better clean that up. The second thing, what is with these big goalies and nets coming loose? The first few didn't bother me, but that last one Cooley had a grade A chance and it's a shame these loose nets are stopping the momentum of the plays. If I had the option, I'd rather see these two play a 7 game series than deal with the NCAA format LOL. Such amazing hockey. See you in Tampa, hopefully.
                                Still have 45 min to watch SC, but I'm betting your 3rd goal will be in the top 10. That was pretty amazing.

But you hit on why I enjoy watching these teams play, even if it's so stressful.

BTW, what's up with making your rink smaller?

Comment

Working...
                                X