No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 22-23, new coach, new players, new era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I should read the news more often on the USCHO home page- Paula Weston did a great article focusing on Steve and somewhat on Narauto- https://www.uscho.com/2023/02/02/thi...gs-considered/

I had no idea it was that bad. And 5 of our players were in the hospital from being sick is also worse than I thought. Crazy that Steve has no memory at all of the days leading up to him going to the ER just after the ND weekend. And this was leading into the Minnesota weekend- which is even more of an explanation of how bad it was and how gutsy it was they played so hard against the gophers.

At the same time, takes some respect away from their coach- who insisted we play in spite of all of our sick players. Not only because he took advantage of a weak team, he also very much risked the health of his own team by mixing with a bunch of players who were around kids who ended up in the hospital.

Knowing more of what happened to Steve makes it even better to see him out on the ice.

Comment

• Well, if I came away with anything from that game is that the refs were pretty useless. They missed some calls that made both teams mad, and then made some questionable ones, which made both teams mad. And that almost totally boiled over- leading to Holtz getting ejected with 3 unsportsmanlike calls at the same time.

And thanks to their calling of the game, that just took forever. Especially at the end where they called some incredibly close, if not made up, calls. That Wisconsin cross checking near the end very much wasn't. The call didn't need to be done, and it just made the game longer.

Comment

• Can they review hits after the game? Joshua's hit on Hughes was a forearm to the head, much worse than the one that Edwards got.

Frustrating to see an easy power play turn into a fight.

If they could keep up the puck control they had in the first period, these games would be considerably less stressful.

Good win, even so, against a rival at home. Their last home game of the season.

Comment

• Not sure who to blame for the game getting out of hand for the refs, but thanks to that, Fantilli's frustration is keeping him out of tonight's game.

And that hit on Hughes was pretty important, given he had to play so much with so many Dmen out (including Edwards). If Joshua really connected, he could have hit Luke out of tonight's game, too.

But I'm sure the B1G won't bother to check that hit post game, even though it was pretty clear he directed his forearm to Luke's head- meaning it was fully intentional and not a basic hit to the head. Far worse than Edwards that kicked him out of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
            Can they review hits after the game? Joshua's hit on Hughes was a forearm to the head, much worse than the one that Edwards got.
            Al Randall seems to think so but it might require Naurato to challenge the call. He asked Naurato about that during the post-game portion of the broadcast. Naurato said they were looking into that. But what would the possible remediation be? Having to sit out all or part of the next game? Tuesday night at the Pretzel Bell should be very interesting.
            Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7
            Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

• If tonight's game at LCA wasn't already a sell out (I seriously doubt it) last night's game should have changed that.
              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7
              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeZ View Post

Al Randall seems to think so but it might require Naurato to challenge the call. He asked Naurato about that during the post-game portion of the broadcast. Naurato said they were looking into that. But what would the possible remediation be? Having to sit out all or part of the next game? Tuesday night at the Pretzel Bell should be very interesting.
                I thought if you got a major + game late enough in a game that it carried over to the next game.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                  If tonight's game at LCA wasn't already a sell out (I seriously doubt it) last night's game should have changed that.
                  Depends. The way the refs called the game last night, I would not want to see more of it. Getting a little tired of watching the refs lose control of a game leading to endless reviews.

Comment

• How in the world was that not a major???? Shoulder to Duke's head, and it wasn't even called, even after a review. That was also worse than the one that got Edwards DQ'd last night- as it was head first as opposed to momentum to the head.

Add that to Joshua's forearm to the head that wasn't called or reviewed. What a joke.

Given how this season has been called- we would have gotten a major and a DQ for that. And that's why I think the refs are making this game hard to watch.

Comment

• Of course they tie it up when we should have been on the PP. Thanks, refs.

Comment

• Well, that was dramatic.

Now we are in 2nd by ourselves solidly.

Comment

• Well, I expect there to be a good conference call with the B1G to review what is and isn't a hit to the head penalty. Especially knowing the difference in the standard between Michigan- which has gotten a ton of late review calls against us, and the rest of the league- especially State- given one forearm to the head not called and a shoulder targeted to the head not called.

Pretty sad to see the refs be so inconsistent with the standard of that penalty.

Granted, we are still an incredibly undisciplined team- given how they were standing around in the third period, it's surprising they didn't give S even more chances on the PP.

But that's not a good reason to have different standards of what a call is. Joshua should not have played for half of last nights game because of his forearm to Hughes' head, and they should have been on a major PK instead of scoring the tying goal.

If we make it to the FF this season, it will be a miracle that the team can beat both the other teams and the refs.

Comment

• I hope USCHO has a liquor license. Have never experienced so much Whine.

Comment

• Originally posted by model94 View Post
                              I hope USCHO has a liquor license. Have never experienced so much Whine.
                              Wow, that has to be one of the most creative attempts at an insult of all time. Did you come up with that on your own?

Must have tasted good back when you where discussing about your coaching situations multiple times.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Wow, that has to be one of the most creative attempts at an insult of all time. Did you come up with that on your own?

Must have tasted good back when you where discussing about your coaching situations multiple times.
                                I did. I thought it was pretty good. And for clarity I was discussing your coaching situation. But seriously, do you guys ever lose a game just because you played poorly and not because of illnesses or bad refing? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X