Michigan Hockey 22-23, new coach, new players, new era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by model94 View Post

Not sure where this litmus test concept comes from, to have the honor of commenting here. Many years ago at a certain North Woods engineering school, one could take hockey as a physical Ed class. This was -1984. At that time the hockey program assigned its most junior asst coach to teach the class. He would later become head coach there as well as at a respected big 10 school. I took that class and had this man as a teacher. I also grew up attending games at yost in the 70s. I appreciated what he did at the North school and am personally not at all clear on what did and did not transpire recently, except to say that it was not handled with transparency. I do not “hate” the program however the arrogance displayed by many of its followers can be distasteful.
    You challenging Michigan posters to care so much about what you want to obsess over is when we don't want to because of valid reasons is arrogance? Seriously? Get over yourself. You are looking for controversy where multiple people ended up losing their jobs who were part of it, and even when we point out that the fans are not in a position to do anything about it, you mock us for not caring. And somehow, we are the arrogant ones.

Ok, live in your little fantasy world. Your mocking of us is our arrogance. Got it.

Comment

I'm not arrogant, I'm just better than most.

Vandal, maybe it's time to lay off. We at least got an answer to why they care.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Man, it was nice to see a game live. Last time was March 2020. Nice to see all of the people who sit around us are still there, that's for sure.

Our team is darned talented, but it's interesting that we have changed head coaches twice, and we still have a tough time getting the puck out of our zone. That could be a lot due to Western- they really anticipated what we were doing really well and kept the puck in our zone stubbornly. Fun game, as Western was really good and aggressive. And fast.

Fun and stressful win, and great to be back at Yost.

Comment

Whew. Nice to win in TO, but TOO MANY PENALTIES. My gosh. Coach Naurato has some work to do- for a team that fast, some of those sounded like not moving your feet penalties. Granted, it sounded like some questionable one, but still- there was a lot when they should not be taking them.

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
            Whew. Nice to win in TO, but TOO MANY PENALTIES. My gosh. Coach Naurato has some work to do- for a team that fast, some of those sounded like not moving your feet penalties. Granted, it sounded like some questionable one, but still- there was a lot when they should not be taking them.
            Still fewer penalties than we took at Lake State. That game at Western was tense. Thought we would hold onto the lead and win it in regulation. When Western tied it up, it felt like they had all the momentum. Glad we got the OT win.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

Still fewer penalties than we took at Lake State. That game at Western was tense. Thought we would hold onto the lead and win it in regulation. When Western tied it up, it felt like they had all the momentum. Glad we got the OT win.
              Was a very tense game- but that's when the team needs to be the most disciplined- especially with how good a team like Western is on the PP. I wish I could see the penalties- to understand how and why. Many of them (like hooking) can be avoided by just using the speed advantage they should have. Some you just have to take- sure (Western took a great one on Friday- IMHO, given it was a clear scoring chance, and we didn't score on the PP). And some are questionable. But so many are just because players are not moving.

Comment

Wow, somehow we are #1. Interesting.

And as much as I have put some criticism on them, they are a really good team- everything I've harped about is easily fixed. Heck, for many seasons, we've seen those concerns dealt with during the season. They certainly have the speed to avoid taking some of the penalties that you normally see from being behind. Although seeing that we got reviewed twice on Friday, they should also keep an eye out for the head when making hits- don't want to give the ref's the option.

Of course, the speed can be used as the opposite advantage- getting penalties called on the other team. Which they have been doing pretty well- so good to see that over the weekend, the PP was pretty solid- 4 for 9 over the weekend. And got it when it was really needed on Saturday. 13 for 45 for the season is 8th in the nation so far.

The only real weakness is the 2.75 GAA, and it's that "low" a lot because of Portillo. If the D can get straightened out, wow. Much of that has been a historic problem of getting the puck quickly out of the zone- and I do think they can come up with some changes there.

One of the best parts about this program is that they are not constantly being talked about WRT the #1 draft picks- man, I hated that all season last year. But it also means that other's expectations may be lower. But with different coaching, maybe this team can be a lot better.

Right now, while I really expect them to win a NC (like I do every year), if they play so well that the "Interim" title comes off of Coach Naurato's name, that would be awesome.

Comment

We'll have to see how they play with that #1 target on them. Michigan tends to see everyone's best game.

When the hockey schedule came out I had talked to friends about a fun road trip this weekend that I'd go on if I didn't have a 3 year old. I envisioned Friday night hockey at PSU then drive to NJ for football vs. Rutgers Saturday (at the time, not knowing when the football game was I thought a noon game you could potentially drive back for Saturday night hockey). Should be a good hockey series. Penn State is 13 in the poll(s don't matter) but also undefeated thus far this season.

Arenas visited:

Comment

We'll have to see how they play with that #1 target on them. Michigan tends to see everyone's best game.

When the hockey schedule came out I had talked to friends about a fun road trip this weekend that I'd go on if I didn't have a 3 year old. I envisioned Friday night hockey at PSU then drive to NJ for football vs. Rutgers Saturday (at the time, not knowing when the football game was I thought a noon game you could potentially drive back for Saturday night hockey). Should be a good hockey series. Penn State is 13 in the poll(s don't matter) but also undefeated thus far this season.
                    One way would not be hard- after the hockey game to the FB game. But even if it was a noon start, it would be a tough drive to get back to Happy Valley in time for the face off.

I really wish we didn't have to pay more for BTN+ to see the game, though. That sucks.

Comment

Wow! Talk about a gauntlet. The boys just won two against the team ranked #17 at the time and now for the next four weekends will face teams currently ranked #3, #12, #13 and #15! Four of the games on the road. What is a realistic expectation for number of wins in that stretch?
                      The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                        Wow! Talk about a gauntlet. The boys just won two against the team ranked #17 at the time and now for the next four weekends will face teams currently ranked #3, #12, #13 and #15! Four of the games on the road. What is a realistic expectation for number of wins in that stretch?
                        I'm going to say two spits, two sweeps.

Comment

So a tough "start" with Portillo not being able to play... bummer.

Comment

Certainly can't blame that loss on Noah. The D play was atrocious.

Comment

Noah played great.

Hopefully we see a better team effort tonight. Im not used to seeing Michigan out skated, out shot and just out played...but they were.

Arenas visited:

Comment

Noah played great.

Hopefully we see a better team effort tonight. Im not used to seeing Michigan out skated, out shot and just out played...but they were.
                                The announcers did mention that Coach Naurato expected a game or two like this, and it can be used to more clearly illustrate what the team needs to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X