Michigan Hockey 22-23, new coach, new players, new era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Hockey 22-23, new coach, new players, new era

With Brandon Naurato being named head coach, some of us can move on and look to the new season. So far, we have who we have, and with Naurato being a bench coach, maybe they stay.

And if the team has a great season, the Interim tag for Coach Naurato can be removed for next season.

Any word on if Muckalt stays on? Hasn't he been there longer than Naurato?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Not that I can find. He was around longer, but that also ties him to Mel’s issues all the way back to Tech.

Given the time left before the season, I’d wager the rest of the staff will stay unless they want to leave (or get asked to leave).

edit- on another hockey board, multiple people are suggesting he will stay for the season
      Last edited by MichVandal; 08-08-2022, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I wonder how long we should wait to think that the team is sticking together?

Comment

He has been there longer and has head coach experience from USHL. Interesting that he was passed over for the interim position, but as far as we know he hasn't been asked to leave
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

Mgoblog has done a longer analysis of Naurato, with some more. https://mgoblog.com/content/hockey-w...oach#read-more

Muckalt is staying, and it sure sounds like the team is as well. Brandon is big on analytics, which helped our PP last season.

I guess we will see.

Comment

From what I have read, Naurato seems like a very bright guy.

Comment

Apparently, he was also very involved in recruiting. So if he gets the permanent job possibly he can maintain something resembling the insanely high recruiting bar set by Mel.
                Let's Go Bobcats!
                Go Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by QU/UM View Post

Apparently, he was also very involved in recruiting. So if he gets the permanent job possibly he can maintain something resembling the insanely high recruiting bar set by Mel.
                  It was a high bar for sure. But having loads of super high potential young players is not the key to the kingdom it would seem.

Comment

Makes me wonder if Naurato is the reason the ex-coach was kept around for so long after the report was in hand. One would think if U of M didn't feel good with an in house candidate, the report would have come out sooner to get some sort of resolution.

Comment

New assistant coach- Rob Rassey. https://mgoblue.com/news/2022/8/18/r...ant-coach.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by model94 View Post

It was a high bar for sure. But having loads of super high potential young players is not the key to the kingdom it would seem.
                        Being big ten champs and losing in OT at the FF means the formula worked IMO.

Comment

Being big ten champs and losing in OT at the FF means the formula worked IMO.
                          Mel's "formula" was to just accept an NLI from ANYONE willing to sign one. Whether or not they would ever see the ice in a game under his watch was another story. The over-recruiting mess he left behind for the new staff in Houghton took 4+ years to clean up.

If Michigan's expectation last year with SEVEN 1st round draft picks on the roster wasn't a National Championship, Naurato will have no problem removing the "temp" from his job title next season by simply finishing 0.500 and keeping himself out of any scandals.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

New director of hockey operations- https://mgoblue.com/news/2022/8/18/s...CampaignId=497

Another person from outside of the program.... Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              Mel's "formula" was to just accept an NLI from ANYONE willing to sign one. Whether or not they would ever see the ice in a game under his watch was another story. The over-recruiting mess he left behind for the new staff in Houghton took 4+ years to clean up.

If Michigan's expectation last year with SEVEN 1st round draft picks on the roster wasn't a National Championship, Naurato will have no problem removing the "temp" from his job title next season by simply finishing 0.500 and keeping himself out of any scandals.
                              You do realize that fans expect a national championship every single year, right? Just because they didn't get to the championship game last year does not change the expectation. It was even expected when we didn't make the tournament the year prior.

Thanks to Red for that raised expectation- which was there in the early 90's.

More than once, the team following the super talented players that left made it very deep into the tournament, including winning an NC in 1998.

Maybe you need to worry about Tech's expectations more. Do you seriously not expect to win an NC anymore? Man, that would make my dad mad if he knew that.

Comment

Working...
                              X