X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model94
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Yeah, I couldn't understand why twice he was so badly out of position when the puck was behind the net allowing the bank shots off him. He should have ben tight against the post! If those two goals didn't happen the games outcome may have been different.
    There were a number of posts, crossbars and other assorted close calls that could have pushed the total higher too. This loss definitely did not land on the goalie. MI got beat handily, all around.

Leave a comment:

• QU/UM
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
    Again, yes, Portillo kept the team in the game. But to not say that both of those goals were not mistakes is ignoring what happened. He didn't move to the pipe when the puck went behind the net.

Then again, many times during the game, he got into situations that he could not get up, or was just not that mobile. It was almost as if he was sick- as they did mention that Hughes was sick during the game.

Hughes had a really, really bad game, too. Like horrible. To the point I would question NJ if they brought him to the team this weekend. And it was hardly unique. Maybe he was sick. Granted, the assist he made was really solid. Made up for him letting that breakaway happen.

Still, we've seen this before, and it was clear QU did, too. Along with the suffocating D play, they were really aggressive and hard skating to the puck, and maybe even forced those mistakes.
    My point is that I see fans here, on Twitter, on MGoBlog, etc. blaming Portillo for the loss. He gets a share of the blame, no doubt. But I think he is getting too much of it. Michigan needed to score more that 2 goals or it was going to be tough to win this game. The D needed to minimize the brain farts, they had just enough of them to lose. There is responsibility all around. And credit to QU, which you absolutely gave.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    The 2nd bank shot goal was something. He looked like he was enjoying a light practice instead of being in a tie game at the FF. Had plenty of time to get into position on that one.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Again, yes, Portillo kept the team in the game. But to not say that both of those goals were not mistakes is ignoring what happened. He didn't move to the pipe when the puck went behind the net.

Then again, many times during the game, he got into situations that he could not get up, or was just not that mobile. It was almost as if he was sick- as they did mention that Hughes was sick during the game.

Hughes had a really, really bad game, too. Like horrible. To the point I would question NJ if they brought him to the team this weekend. And it was hardly unique. Maybe he was sick. Granted, the assist he made was really solid. Made up for him letting that breakaway happen.

Still, we've seen this before, and it was clear QU did, too. Along with the suffocating D play, they were really aggressive and hard skating to the puck, and maybe even forced those mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• QU/UM
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

You're trying to stand up for a guy who gave up two goals from behind the net.

It just means that in the last 60 years, they've never won a title without Marty Turco. And I don't think he has any eligibility left.
    There is an article on CHN that says QU knew what they were doing with those bank shots. I was wondering that during the game last night. They tried it at least one other time that I noticed and it didn't work. It seems like Rand and the QU staff saw something on tape that they could exploit, and did. Full credit to them.

The 4th goal (Metsa) was weak. And that was the back breaker.

To me, Portillo absolutely kept them in the game; the bank shots were great strategy by QU.
    Last edited by QU/UM; 04-07-2023, 01:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
    UM Goalie is the only reason the game was not 11-1. 2 bounced off him, but man made so many big saves. UM in the last 5 years has gone away from playing defense.
    You're trying to stand up for a guy who gave up two goals from behind the net.

It just means that in the last 60 years, they've never won a title without Marty Turco. And I don't think he has any eligibility left.

Leave a comment:

• Puckstopper467
    replied
    UM Goalie is the only reason the game was not 11-1. 2 bounced off him, but man made so many big saves. UM in the last 5 years has gone away from playing defense.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Portillo very much has a pretty bad night- at least moving after a shot. Those two goals that were banked off of him was terrible
    Yeah, I couldn't understand why twice he was so badly out of position when the puck was behind the net allowing the bank shots off him. He should have ben tight against the post! If those two goals didn't happen the games outcome may have been different.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by sshablak View Post

What about the three breakaways he stopped ? Wasn't all his fault Mr Sour Grapes !
    Sure, he kept the team in the game, but how does that not mean those were some pretty bad mistakes. Just like the really horrible pinches Hughes made that lead to odd man rushes and ultimately the 2nd goal.

Many other times, the offence is capable of dealing with those problems, but Q's D was so strong and suffocating that it took an amazing single person play and a really strong play just to get the two goals we had. That part of the game was pretty predictable, so the D, including Portillo, had to have one of the best games they ever played. That didn't happen.

Q won because they deserved it. But don't tell me that mistakes can't be pointed out.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied
    Originally posted by sshablak View Post

What about the three breakaways he stopped ? Wasn't all his fault Mr Sour Grapes !
    Lol. What?!

Leave a comment:

• sshablak
    replied
    Well, that was a let down. Made mistakes, and QU jumped all over them. And that D they have is amazing- just took away almost all chances we had to score. Portillo very much has a pretty bad night- at least moving after a shot. Those two goals that were banked off of him was terrible, and then that 4th goal- geez.

Still, all things considered, getting to the Frozen Four with a coach that literally had to recruit his own players before the season because he was announced at the last moment, and then had to fix a lot of issues- that was a pretty big deal to keep the program going strong. It could have been a disaster, but things really turned around after the OSU weekend.

Sucks to lose in the Semi again, but sometimes the better team wins. QU was just great tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Great, now I'm going to have to root for the Gophers. I'll be needing a shower afterwards!

Leave a comment:

• QU87
    replied
    Your team has some scary talent. Just wasn’t in the cards tonight. Strong defense, goalie play and a bit of puck luck was the difference tonight.

Leave a comment:

• ZYanksRule
    replied
    Congrats to your team on an outstanding season. Such an impressive array of talent.

Leave a comment:

• Puckstopper467
    replied
    UM See Ya!!!! I guess you need more NHL draft Picks, How is Buccigross going to sleep tonight. What a terrible one sided announcer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X