Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 22-23, new coach, new players, new era

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • just such a good player and kudos to him staying the extra year

    Comment


    • Interim Coach Naurato is finalist for the Spencer Penrose Coach of the year https://ahcahockey.com/news/2223/0328d1cy.php

      Which is really cool, except that it was a nomination based on circumstance as opposed to other coaches paying attention- the nominees are all of the conference COTY's as well as the coaches that make the Frozen Four. And of the 8 coaches there, Naurato is the odd coach out- not even making the final list of B1G COTYs, and all of the rest of the FF coaches were their conference COTY.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
        Interim Coach Naurato is finalist for the Spencer Penrose Coach of the year https://ahcahockey.com/news/2223/0328d1cy.php

        Which is really cool, except that it was a nomination based on circumstance as opposed to other coaches paying attention- the nominees are all of the conference COTY's as well as the coaches that make the Frozen Four. And of the 8 coaches there, Naurato is the odd coach out- not even making the final list of B1G COTYs, and all of the rest of the FF coaches were their conference COTY.
        Ok, now that I understand how the finalists were chosen, that makes sense. I was going to come post about how Naurato is a finalist for the Spencer Penrose when he wasn't even a finalist for B1G coach of the year (which I recall the B1G finalists being every coach whose team made the B1G semis but didn't have an 'interim' in his title).
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.



        Arenas visited:
        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

        Comment


        • When is Michigan going to remove "interim" from his job title? Unless they are waiting to bring the previous coach back?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
            When is Michigan going to remove "interim" from his job title? Unless they are waiting to bring the previous coach back?
            After the season. Why distract him right now?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

              After the season. Why distract him right now?
              Distract?

              Comment


              • Fantilli in the Hobey Hat Trick- https://www.uscho.com/2023/03/30/thr...bey-hat-trick/

                Given a few years ago, the Kyle Conner wasn't given the award the year after Eichel got it, I'm wagering he won't get it. Especially since there's an upperclassman in the running. Which is fine, it's only a trophy, Adam will still be the #2 draft pick soon, and it won't really impact his contract.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                  Fantilli in the Hobey Hat Trick- https://www.uscho.com/2023/03/30/thr...bey-hat-trick/

                  Given a few years ago, the Kyle Conner wasn't given the award the year after Eichel got it, I'm wagering he won't get it. Especially since there's an upperclassman in the running. Which is fine, it's only a trophy, Adam will still be the #2 draft pick soon, and it won't really impact his contract.
                  I actually think Fantilli has a great chance to win it. I have to think that there will be a number of first place votes split between Cooley and Knies. I see Cooley and Knies voters as being of a very similar mindset as to why they are voting those players. I see Fantilli as a very different rationale. I think for Cooley/Knies its voters looking at the 200 foot game (and all aspects of the game) and how players are impacting others around them. Fantilli, in my opinion is the best pure offensive weapon in the game and his goals and points support just that. That is not to say he doesn't have skill in other areas, I just believe Cooley/Knies are better in other areas of the game. I think it hurts the two Gophers in this case as a result. We'll see how it shakes out.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by StateofHockey78 View Post

                    I actually think Fantilli has a great chance to win it. I have to think that there will be a number of first place votes split between Cooley and Knies. I see Cooley and Knies voters as being of a very similar mindset as to why they are voting those players. I see Fantilli as a very different rationale. I think for Cooley/Knies its voters looking at the 200 foot game (and all aspects of the game) and how players are impacting others around them. Fantilli, in my opinion is the best pure offensive weapon in the game and his goals and points support just that. That is not to say he doesn't have skill in other areas, I just believe Cooley/Knies are better in other areas of the game. I think it hurts the two Gophers in this case as a result. We'll see how it shakes out.
                    Funny you put it like that. Fantilli has pretty consistently been the first one to backcheck, especially when you see Hughes make a mistake. He's pretty invisible in his back check, but he's also pretty aggressive. Speed matters.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

                      After the season. Why distract him right now?
                      That prediction was wrong- https://mgoblue.com/news/2023/3/31/i...an-hockey.aspx - although it wont be finalized until after the FF. 5 year agreement.

                      Michigan has a real head coach, now. Congrats, Brandon. You had a lot of doubters when you were announced, but all gave you a chance. You very much earned the position.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

                        Funny you put it like that. Fantilli has pretty consistently been the first one to backcheck, especially when you see Hughes make a mistake. He's pretty invisible in his back check, but he's also pretty aggressive. Speed matters.
                        Never said he doesn't do other things. I said I think those two are better at other parts of the game.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by StateofHockey78 View Post

                          Never said he doesn't do other things. I said I think those two are better at other parts of the game.
                          Ok, so the "he's a pure offensive player" wasn't an implication that he doesn't play D and after you pointed out that your two finalists play a full 200ft game... Got it. But also my point is that I think he's as good in our D zone as you think your players are, and that you see his numbers and only really saw him play a handful of times.

                          Fantilli is a large reason why our D has gotten so much better in the last 3 months.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

                            Ok, so the "he's a pure offensive player" wasn't an implication that he doesn't play D and after you pointed out that your two finalists play a full 200ft game... Got it. But also my point is that I think he's as good in our D zone as you think your players are, and that you see his numbers and only really saw him play a handful of times.

                            Fantilli is a large reason why our D has gotten so much better in the last 3 months.
                            I can understand why you might think that, but no that is not the context with which I'm describing his game. Is he an excellent two way player, yes. Do I think his 200 foot game is better than Knies/Cooley, no I do not. Do I think he's the best offensive weapon in the game, yes I do. Do I think he deserves serious consideration, yes I do. Don't lose sight of the fact, we are not arguing the idea ANY of these guys are BAD or have major flaws in their game. We are simply talking about what they do best. I think it's fine if you believe he's the best at everything, we can agree to disagree.

                            Comment


                            • I'm getting excited. We leave for Tampa tomorrow. I'm not sure what to expect Thursday. I expect it to be close against a strong defensive team and great goalie. Then again it's hockey, and what I expect is often not the result.
                              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.



                              Arenas visited:
                              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                                I'm getting excited. We leave for Tampa tomorrow. I'm not sure what to expect Thursday. I expect it to be close against a strong defensive team and great goalie. Then again it's hockey, and what I expect is often not the result.
                                Have a safe and fun trip down. And we hope to see you on Saturday- as we wimped out to wait until Saturday.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X