No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 22-23, new coach, new players, new era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the 10 minute mark in the 2nd, I looked at the scoreboard and could not believe Portillo had 36 saves halfway throrgh the game and we were losing.

Before that I had noticed a shot on goal total of 35-7. Portillo didn't stand a chance. I hope to see better puck control tonight
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      At the 10 minute mark in the 2nd, I looked at the scoreboard and could not believe Portillo had 36 saves halfway throrgh the game and we were losing.

Before that I had noticed a shot on goal total of 35-7. Portillo didn't stand a chance. I hope to see better puck control tonight
      I almost expected Erik to be pulled. Not because he had a bad night, but to make a point to the team that they needed to play better.

Comment

• That was considerably better than last night.

D still isn’t very good, still.

Comment

• As this game goes into OT, I'm so tired of watching our defensive play. Or lack thereof. Portillo is getting so, so, so many shots. Our D play seems to be just follow the puck around until you can slap at it and hope it gets out of the zone. Sometimes you get control because the other team gets so tired that they have to change.

What in the world are they even practicing?

Well, pessimism reigns. Interim Coach Narauto- you are not doing much to shorten that title with all of the talent you have on the team.
          Last edited by MichVandal; 01-20-2023, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Well, at least we won.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but I'm still not that impressed with how we are playing. That game should have easily been won in regulation- but players were behind or just watched the puck instead of where they should be. And our PP is pretty bad. I get getting the D players in the play- it makes sense. But when they give up that many odd man rushes and the PK gets more really good scoring chances than your PP- something is very wrong. When I see them, the players seem to be just playing for the next pass instead of setting themselves for the quick next pass....

For all of that talent, they should be better.

Comment

• They're still making too many errors, especially defensively. But, Michigan just split with maybe the best team in the country in their building. Take that momentum and start playing hard every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maznblu View Post
                They're still making too many errors, especially defensively. But, Michigan just split with maybe the best team in the country in their building. Take that momentum and start playing hard every game.
                As I see it, the only reason MN is #1 is they are a great *team*. For the most part, the talent is largely the same- same age, same potential- seeing how both the pros and the Jr teams view the players. There just isn't that great of difference in talent.

We've split with pretty much everyone recently, so doing it with #1 isn't that different than normal. The last time we swept a weekend was in October. We've split with the entire Big 10, except being swept by Minnesota at home.

My real frustration is that on paper, we should be a lot better than we are, and more consistent. One game we let up +40 shots, and then the other night isn't bad. What's up with that?

Comment

• Happy to get the split at Minnesota. Looks better than the shellacking we had at home against them when our team was sick and so short handed the 3rd string goalie skated out. Certainly a better feel for what a healthy full roster can do.

There were many points in those games where we had the momentum and looked like the better team. Agree with Vandal though, the defense needs work. Too many shots against, too much time in the defensive zone.

Currently we're sitting 6 points behind MSU who would be getting home ice for round 1 B1G (4th place), 9 points behind PSU & aOSU who are tied for 2nd. This weekend against PSU and next weekend against Wisconsin are huge. We need some conference points. This team should be better than 6th place out of 7 conference teams.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

• Much better D in that game. PSU did get their expected lots and lots of shots- but for much of the first period were dump ins as opposed to real shots. Their second goal was a pretty poor turn over, but the others were ok, I think. Not ideal, but not total confusion and break down. And it helps a lot that our shooting was quite good- chasing their goalie after just 12 shots on him.

Comment

• Lot to unravel in that game.

Two goals against in the opening min....

A pretty phantom hit to the head call- I'd have to see a reply, but what I saw on the overhead was that Edwards had is back to the PSU player, so I really didn't see any hit to his head.

And we get a goal- no wait, no- another completely missed hit to the head that was somehow a major but NOT a misconduct.... Uh, what? And they score one. So instead of 2-1, it's 3-0.

Duke gets a good rush on the net, gets turned around from behind, no call. How, I'm not really sure.

Then we get a goal. Whew.

Then they get their 4th, and at the same time, edit-Casey gets hit and injured- I'd have to see that one again, but it sounds like he was hurt via a hit from a PSU player- no call, and a goal. edit again- it was a pretty questionable hit as I saw it, knee to knee. Of course the refs missed it.

More goals. Good.

Fantilli gets hurt from a slewfoot, no call, and we can't review since we lost the goalie interference review from their 4th goal.

Duke then again gets pulled down from behind, but this time he scores. Should be 4-4 with a 2 min penalty- but the refs miss what appeared to be another obvious call.

Finally, the hero of the game gets his 4th goal to put it at 5-4.

From there, the team did a GREAT job bottling PSU in their own zone, not allowing much time to have 6 skaters.

Sometimes you just have to play the other team, sometimes the refs think they should be biased. And we still came back and won that.

(still have work to do, but enjoy the first sweep since October)
                      Last edited by MichVandal; 01-28-2023, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• So looking over at mgoblog (not a member- just don't want to pay for it), it seems that a 4 goal game excuses Hughes on the mistakes he's made.

I disagree- this shows what he's capable of doing, but he still needs to do 60 min of it (or whatever icetime he gets). I'm super happy for him and the rest of the team that they came back from all of that last night and swept PSU- I really am. But if they want to use their PRW position to it's max, they need to really fix all of the faults, and play to their potential for the entire game. If they can manage that, they certainly can go all the way.

Also- no word on how bad Casey was injured- the way he was carried off, it's a leg issue of some type. Hope he's ok, and it's just a bruise or something like that. And it's still not really clear how injured Samoskavich is.

Comment

• 6 points this weekend helped keep us in the hunt for places 2-6 in the conference. Now tied for 5th with Sparty, as opposed to 6th all by ourselves.

Can this team put together a decent sized win streak with Wisconsin coming to visit this weekend? Sure hope so.

Vandal,
                          I agree with a lot of what you said as that was my experience watching the officating at Yost Saturday. NaSK wasn't feeling well and stayed home to watch, where he said he agreed with a most of the calls. Watching the replay of the 5 min that took away our goal, I thought it was questionable. Obviously not intentional (which the refs agreed with no game misconduct). It's hard for me to watch players get called for contact to the head against a guy who is skating with his head down. The view I saw, with my super biased eyes, was guy skating with his head down, turns into Michigan player's shoulder.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            Vandal,
                            I agree with a lot of what you said as that was my experience watching the officating at Yost Saturday. NaSK wasn't feeling well and stayed home to watch, where he said he agreed with a most of the calls. Watching the replay of the 5 min that took away our goal, I thought it was questionable. Obviously not intentional (which the refs agreed with no game misconduct). It's hard for me to watch players get called for contact to the head against a guy who is skating with his head down. The view I saw, with my super biased eyes, was guy skating with his head down, turns into Michigan player's shoulder.
                            I half expected that was the reason. But the BTN replay I saw, they didn't show the replay. So I've still never seen it. And it made me think that teams should get short players so that they can pretty much play the entire game on a major penalty....

And while I've not reviewed the rules, I still don't understand how you get a major for hit to the head that isn't a misconduct.

Comment

• Good win, but given how the season started, or more what happened in November, there was one highlight to me- Steve Holtz in the line up. Pretty awesome to come back from an illness that took him to the hospital.

Comment

• Fantastic to see Holtz in the lineup. The team is better since they split up Samoskevich and Fantilli. Playing with Fantilli is bringing out the best in McGroarty, and especially Brindley.

Comment

Working...
                                X