No announcement yet.

>< Michigan Tech Huskies 2022-23: Over One Century of Hockey ><

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good thing we swept, lots to work on before the rematch with an NMU team playing a lot better than when we last saw them.

Comment

• They don't ask how, they ask how many. Two more very important wins for the Huskies this weekend and we move on. I expect nothing less than a rocking building next weekend. Let's get two more wins!
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Looking at the CHN Pairwise Probability Matrix, it looks like Tech should make it in.

Tech need to stop the mistakes and relying on Blake to keep them in the game. He is amazing and consistent, but they can't keep going to the well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
          Looking at the CHN Pairwise Probability Matrix, it looks like Tech should make it in.

Tech need to stop the mistakes and relying on Blake to keep them in the game. He is amazing and consistent, but they can't keep going to the well.
          I agree. We typically allow the other team to turn the defense several times per game and we get away with it because of Blake but against high skill teams doing that will get us killed. We also allow several times per game, the other team to get multiple shots on net close in, again we cannot continue to get away with that. I do not see us winning a game in the NCAA's though I do think we make it in.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

I agree. We typically allow the other team to turn the defense several times per game and we get away with it because of Blake but against high skill teams doing that will get us killed. We also allow several times per game, the other team to get multiple shots on net close in, again we cannot continue to get away with that. I do not see us winning a game in the NCAA's though I do think we make it in.
            Yes. We give away so many breakaways and odd man rushes a game it is because of Blake that we didn't finish last. Unfortunately he won't get the national recognition he deserves.

I'm just dumbfounded how our D seems to be ok with letting Blake bale them out time and time again. Granted, if you would give anyone what we had returning on D and what has happened to the D core, one would be shocked that we are 11th in the pairwise.

Comment

I'm certain the only way MTU isn't a lock is if all three of the HEA, CCHA, and ECAC have autobids below the cutline. B1G has no upsets left because if MSU beats MN and Mich it will be much higher in the pairwise. Right now you have a 99.4% chance of finishing 12 or higher, so it would take a miracle not to be in even if there are three upsets.

Comment

• In a WI thread, someone happened to mention Joe as a candidate for the HC position. My guess it was just commentary and rumor but any thoughts on Joe ever leaving or staying?

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  In a WI thread, someone happened to mention Joe as a candidate for the HC position. My guess it was just commentary and rumor but any thoughts on Joe ever leaving or staying?
                  As I read the comment, the poster just went down the Pairwise, and more or less was asking, "How about this guy?" I think his point was that they should be looking for a coach who already knows how to get a team into the tournament, instead of one learning on the job. In other words, not even rising to the level of speculation. Essentially a wish list.
                  Last edited by purpleinnebraska; 03-07-2023, 12:43 PM.

Comment

In a WI thread, someone happened to mention Joe as a candidate for the HC position. My guess it was just commentary and rumor but any thoughts on Joe ever leaving or staying?
                    It seemed like a throwaway comment. They also mentioned Alaska's head coach, but that got zero traction with them.

They are now focused on Hastings and backing up the truck to get him to Madison.

Personally I see zero ways Joe willingly leaves the UP. He has Tech at a point of consistent CCHA contention, seems happy with recruiting, seems happy with his coaching team, he's the 2nd most winning coach of all time at Tech, has the Mac rocking, and by all accounts has a great boss who let's him do his thing. He's also 60 and does he want to deal with a rebuild?

IMO Joe would get crucified in Madison or most major universities. He's defense first, hard skill, not afraid to get political/religious, all the Joe-ism, his fashion "sense",... :-)

Joe is perfect for Houghton/MTU and MTU/Houghton is perfect for him.
                    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 03-08-2023, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Joe loves the UP. He won't leave laid back Houghton for Madison.

Marv is available... ;^)
                      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

• I am shocked that Close wasn't a finalist and Levi was. I think Blake has a chance at it.

Blake should in a landslide. No one has meant more for his teams success than Blake. I don't think he will win though.

Is Perets a finalist level goalie, yes. Would Quinnipac be leading the ECAC and have an NCAA tourney bid locked without him, yes. My knock on him, he is a system goalie on a good team.

Comment

• I think it will be Levi.. Most of the East coast writers, which is a majority, have never seen Blake.

Comment

• I repeat, you keep letting teams turn the defense or get breakaways you are going to get burned. Especially by high skill forwards.
                            I liked how Russell played. And for him to still be the top scoring D man after missing most of the year, doesn't speak well for the rest of the D corps.

Comment

I repeat, you keep letting teams turn the defense or get breakaways you are going to get burned. Especially by high skill forwards.
                              I liked how Russell played. And for him to still be the top scoring D man after missing most of the year, doesn't speak well for the rest of the D corps.
                              Let me start by saying I'm very proud of this team and happy for how exciting the season, so far, has been. That said, one can only keep rose colored glasses on/drink the kool aid for so long...

I can see why Joe had his pre-season opinion about this team. We don't have high skill on the team and we struggle mightily against high skill teams (WMU, BG, NMU,...). We have a bunch of mucker who usually find a way to score, just not in bunches. In order for us to win, the "classic" rule of the first one to 3 wins. To make matters worse, we have a D-corp that has uncalled for turnovers every game that lead to breakaways/grade A+ scoring opportunities. I doubt Blake will get the Richter, but he should and the Hobey. Without him, Tech would be down there with LSSU, maybe even lower.

I hope Joe and staff are recruiting well and they can do well in the portal. Sorry for being so negative, but Jimminey Christmas, that game was another stinker! Depending who we get, if we make the NCAA (the CHN Matrix has us making it) I hope we don't get a high skill team. It could be UGLY!
                              Last edited by Lost_Husky; 03-13-2023, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X