>< Michigan Tech Huskies 2022-23: Over One Century of Hockey ><

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

My younger brothers and their kids aren't into hockey. Hockey ending in a tie, 3x3 OT with an added shootout for a winner is not why they don't like it. If you want to improve the approachability of hockey for new fans, expand the fanbase/fan experience, this isn't the way to do it. If anything it leads to more confusion from a new fan perspective as you have the potential of 2 additional mini-games required to determine a winner.
    I'm not sure what the best way is to resolve ties. I've come to the conclusion that there's no use trying to satisfy everyone.

I'm not a fan of the 5 minute 5x5 as an attempt to resolve what 60 minutes of mostly 5x5 could not. Anything else is looked on as a gimmick. So I just try and enjoy whatever the league decides to use.

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

I'm not sure what the best way is to resolve ties. I've come to the conclusion that there's no use trying to satisfy everyone.

I'm not a fan of the 5 minute 5x5 as an attempt to resolve what 60 minutes of mostly 5x5 could not. Anything else is looked on as a gimmick. So I just try and enjoy whatever the league decides to use.
      To go nuts on this, why not 5 minutes, 8 on 8, no goalies? Or 10 minutes goalies only???? wink

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

To go nuts on this, why not 5 minutes, 8 on 8, no goalies? Or 10 minutes goalies only???? wink
        Or give each team a 2 minute 5x3. Whoever has the most goals (including shorties) wins.

I'm okay if there's no overtime and it's just called a tie. I'm also okay with whatever overtime format is used. I'll enjoy the game all the same.

Life's too short to be yelling at the clouds.

Comment

Suit up the coaches and stick boy and play 10 min.

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

The real fans or the old fans?
            Real fans as I know plenty of YOUNG fans not liking the 3x3

Comment

• Originally posted by model94 View Post

Suit up the coaches and stick boy and play 10 min.
              Each team gets a Zamboni & a long stick......like polo.......first score or most scores after 5 minutes....

Comment

• Good sweep this weekend for the season series win over the kitties. These last six regular season games look to be the toughest of the year.

Comment

• I was very impressed with NMU. That friday game was the best I've seen them play in some time.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• It is always great sweeping the Mildcats. Those 6 points were badly needed to keep pace with Mankato and keep us in the hunt. The great part, we control our own destiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                      It is always great sweeping the Mildcats. Those 6 points were badly needed to keep pace with Mankato and keep us in the hunt. The great part, we control our own destiny.
                      The final weekend is shaping up to be the weekend series to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        the real fans want it the old way.
                        Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
                        The real fans or the old fans?
                        Fans of the game of hockey want to watch 5v5, not a skills competition.

While Tech may control their own destiny, my gut feel is that they are going to be haunted by points left on the table with bottom half teams earlier in the season (LSSU twice, the Tommies, etc). Championship winning teams need to beat the teams they should beat. Here is Mankato in a "rebuilding" year, once again sitting atop the standings with a month to go, also in control of their own destiny.

PS - Hey CCHA.com... time to update the link to the MTU Huskies "Team Page" which currently connects users to the 2020-21 team roster...
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

So more stamina training or not do any long distance travel?
                          So do you cut the trips from Houghton to Bowling Green, Big Rapids, Mankato and the upcoming drives to Sioux Falls?
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Fans of the game of hockey want to watch 5v5, not a skills competition.

While Tech may control their own destiny, my gut feel is that they are going to be haunted by points left on the table with bottom half teams earlier in the season (LSSU twice, the Tommies, etc). Championship winning teams need to beat the teams they should beat. Here is Mankato in a "rebuilding" year, once again sitting atop the standings with a month to go, also in control of their own destiny.

PS - Hey CCHA.com... time to update the link to the MTU Huskies "Team Page" which currently connects users to the 2020-21 team roster...
                            Yes, those points are already haunting us. We could be tied/up on Mankato, but now are 3 points behind them.

Mankato, BG, and BSU also have had their fair share of "bad" losses. That said, the CCHA top to bottom is a much tougher league than it was last year. St Thomas has as many points as NMU. Ferris is significantly improved. LSSU has been playing better lately, beating Ferris, taking Mankato to OT, and beating BSU. The CCHA is still wide open.

Many of the current top CCHA teams are in "rebuilding" years. Tech, BSU, and Mankato lost a lot from last year. The real question, how is LSSU last, NMU tied for 6th and BGSU in their perennial 3rd position? Those teams were set up for this to be "their year."

Comment

• Blake and our defense are the primary difference. NMU and BG have struggled to keep the puck out of their nets all year.

Comment

• Stellar weekend by Blake while we got a bit of help from the stumbles by Mankato and Bowling Green. Hope the Huskies are ready to keep up this momentum going into Carny weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X