Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    A few comments.
    our guys look mentally fatigued. If you watch over time many of the goals against us are because we read the situation, just too slowly, on the PP we read the situation, just too slowly. Quite a number of times you can see we are just mentally not quite up to speed. a week off would do wonders!.
    I do think at times we are also tired and skating in quicksand but I think mostly it's mental. that trip out west took it out of us and we need some time off.
    If you watched any of the MSU vs ASU series, MSU came in after the break a different team. They are much sharper and hitting on all cylinders. The difference is stark.
    Give up the GLI for an extra week of rest? Or take the first weekend in January off?

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

Give up the GLI for an extra week of rest? Or take the first weekend in January off?
      Personally I don't the fatigue from traveling excuse. Maybe it is just me, but after 2 days I'm right as rain. Now adjusting to classes starting along with all of that, might not be the best and that could wear on the guys. When they had time off, they played like garbage against LSSU and got beat 3-0.

Tech won't drop the GLI, it is too big of an alumni event and the other MSU seems equally committed to maintaining it. Tech's Athletic department likes to play out west as we have a decent alumni base out there. Joe strikes me as the guy who will play anyone, anywhere, anytime, if they are fair. (Aka willing to come to Houghton.)

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Joe say there is a bug going around the team and more than one guy was a game time decision? For me, that is a bigger factor, and unless everyone is quarantined, it is impossible to stop illness.

Comment

• Regardless of what is said from here on I thought FSU was bush tonight and they are often bush. They ran Kukk all night tonight and that big hit in the second was contact to the head if you ask me. There were picks all over the ice, especially on the face-offs and near our net. I thought the refs did a poor job. I was totally yo'ed by the end. AND why did we have the wrong guy taking that critical face-off after they pulled the goalie? We win that face-off and the game imho.We got out competed in the third tonight for sure and you have to ask yourself why was that?
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• I mean how many PP's do you want? your boy kukk skates with his head down the entire game and just runs into people.

Comment

• He does have his head down more than I'd like but not all game, and that's no excuse to target him.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Regardless of what is said from here on I thought FSU was bush tonight and they are often bush. They ran Kukk all night tonight and that big hit in the second was contact to the head if you ask me. There were picks all over the ice, especially on the face-offs and near our net. I thought the refs did a poor job. I was totally yo'ed by the end. AND why did we have the wrong guy taking that critical face-off after they pulled the goalie? We win that face-off and the game imho.We got out competed in the third tonight for sure and you have to ask yourself why was that?
              Bush league or not, It's FSU in Big Rapids. They only play one way.

Tech should have had 6 points. There is no excuse for Saturday.

I still loathe 3 on 3 OT and shootouts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                I still loathe 3 on 3 OT and shootouts.
                To adapt a view of former NFL'er Mike Golic regarding college football overtime and apply it to college hockey...

Q: After 60 minutes of great action (that just happened to end in a tie) why do we suddenly STOP playing real hockey at the end of regulation time?
                A: Gary Bettman and the circus he created in the NHL ranks... and then everyone else at the lower levels felt compelled to copy.

I get it, potential injuries, fatigue, can't play every game until someone scores, blah, blah, blah... well then just have a tie and go home. The all-star game and skills competition is once a year and that's for professionals, not collegiate athletes. No need to use those gimmicks after every game that ends in a tie just so there can be a "winner." Rosters were expanded a while back so now each team has an extra skater so they can "survive" an extra five minutes of 5v5 hockey.
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  To adapt a view of former NFL'er Mike Golic regarding college football overtime and apply it to college hockey...

Q: After 60 minutes of great action (that just happened to end in a tie) why do we suddenly STOP playing real hockey at the end of regulation time?
                  A: Gary Bettman and the circus he created in the NHL ranks... and then everyone else at the lower levels felt compelled to copy.
                  This is by no means a new development.

Back in the early to mid 80s, the Edmonton Oilers made a killing on 4x4 and 3x3 situations. When you can make your three Gretzky, Kurri, and Coffey you can see why. Then the NHL got the idea for "coincidental" penalties to keep the Oilers from exploiting the situation. And somehow, a rule designed to temporarily stop one team in one league tricked down all the way to the lowest levels of hockey where it still exists today.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

This is by no means a new development.

Back in the early to mid 80s, the Edmonton Oilers made a killing on 4x4 and 3x3 situations. When you can make your three Gretzky, Kurri, and Coffey you can see why. Then the NHL got the idea for "coincidental" penalties to keep the Oilers from exploiting the situation. And somehow, a rule designed to temporarily stop one team in one league tricked down all the way to the lowest levels of hockey where it still exists today.

Does Joe adjust the type of players Tech gets/dresses to make us better at 3x3/shootout? While it isn't a major part of the game, we have left 3 points on the table, this year, and who knows how many last year because we are terrible in 3x3 and shootout. I understand it OT isn't a major part of the game, but OT is not uncommon in hockey. Does Tech need to start treating 3x3/Shootout as another aspect of the game? I'm not proposing focusing on it like one would Faceoffs, PP, or PK, but it would be a good way to end practice with some 3x3 and shootouts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

Does Joe adjust the type of players Tech gets/dresses to make us better at 3x3/shootout? While it isn't a major part of the game, we have left 3 points on the table, this year, and who knows how many last year because we are terrible in 3x3 and shootout. I understand it OT isn't a major part of the game, but OT is not uncommon in hockey. Does Tech need to start treating 3x3/Shootout as another aspect of the game? I'm not proposing focusing on it like one would Faceoffs, PP, or PK, but it would be a good way to end practice with some 3x3 and shootouts.
                      I kinda like what Sergei Fedorov was doing in the KHL coaching CSKA Moscow. When they went into a 3x3 OT, he'd pull his goalie as soon as his team got the puck. They won at least 3 games that way when I watched them a while ago. It does mean you have to work on the 4x3 to prepare for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

I kinda like what Sergei Fedorov was doing in the KHL coaching CSKA Moscow. When they went into a 3x3 OT, he'd pull his goalie as soon as his team got the puck. They won at least 3 games that way when I watched them a while ago. It does mean you have to work on the 4x3 to prepare for sure.
                        I read somewhere that this isn't done in the NHL because if you give up the empty netter, you lose your overtime point. Is the NHL rulebook really this overly-detailed, and fun-killing?

Comment

• I don't care how you package it. 3x3 sucks.
                          Worried about player safety? (bull****) then do one 5 min OT and be done.
                          No shoot-outs, no 2nd OT
                          Of course, all that goes out the window during tourney time.
                          The casual fan may not get it, the real fans want it the old way.
                          How do we change it?

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            The casual fan may not get it, the real fans want it the old way.
                            The real fans or the old fans?

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

The real fans or the old fans?
                              My younger brothers and their kids aren't into hockey. Hockey ending in a tie, 3x3 OT with an added shootout for a winner is not why they don't like it. If you want to improve the approachability of hockey for new fans, expand the fanbase/fan experience, this isn't the way to do it. If anything it leads to more confusion from a new fan perspective as you have the potential of 2 additional mini-games required to determine a winner.

Comment

• I think they got rid of ties when teams would play ultra defensive for 60 minutes and walk away with a tie they didn't deserve. I'm not really a fan of 3x3 or of shootouts but a straight tie as often as it happened was really boring and was turning off the fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X