No announcement yet.

>< Michigan Tech Huskies 2022-23: Over One Century of Hockey ><

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to add a few things on this coming weekend. I've seen BU twice vs Notre Dame. They skate extremely well, better than almost everyone else in College hockey. . they have likely the best D man in college hockey who can really shoot and moves the puck up very well. ( he may be at world Jrs this weekend, and may not be). They forecheck very aggressively and depend on the forwards to come back hard, so they typically steal the puck on the back check and turn over the direction of the puck quickly. They bring the weak side D man deep into the O zone once the puck gets into the corner, making it harder to get a good breakout. You cannot cheat for offense against them. Thats huge mistake . I'd say they are not quite as good a forward group as WMU but they are still very skilled with a better defense than WMU has. Goaltending is average.
    ASU, more defensive oriented, goaltending is good, but the d hangs him out to dry at times. Not as skilled on the front as BU, but not terrible. A lot like Michigan state.
    I have not seen AF but you have to think they have improved a lot and will be very hard working and no pushover for whoever they play.
    There is no way on Gods green earth i'm going to pay ASU the high prices for tickets that they charge. I believe the games will be on TV thru the pac 12 web site and maybe a link via ASU. I typically go out to Nevada this time of year for a couple of weeks but i'm skipping the tournament and playing golf instead.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      There is no way on Gods green earth i'm going to pay ASU the high prices for tickets that they charge. I believe the games will be on TV thru the pac 12 web site and maybe a link via ASU. I typically go out to Nevada this time of year for a couple of weeks but i'm skipping the tournament and playing golf instead.
      I saw prices worked out to $28 per game, I suspect that does not include some extra fees. I paid $45 at Sanford Center to see ASU play BSU, 1 game, with fees. I haven't done a survey at all NCAA arena's but last year I paid $55 with fees for a UND Hawks home game. But you are correct, it will be on ASU livestream, go to their schedule, to that game, click on the livestream/watch/view icon. It may require a subscription to PAC12 Network although the bars in Vegas should carry it.

Comment

• I went and looked up AF. They have some good wins. Beat CC and lost by 1. Tied AIC and lost by 1. Swept AA, split with RIT, etc. Don't go to sleep on them.

Last two games were vs HC and lost both, 4-2 and 2-1.

Comment

• I thought you all would find this interesting. It's from a book by Kerry Frazier. NHL ref.

”As I waited for the visiting team to exit the ice ahead of me, one player straggled along behind. It was big Jim McKenzie. His quiet and gentlemanly demeanor did not befit his giant stature or his role as an enforcer.
          Very quietly and politely, Jim asked whether, if he told me to eff off, I would give him a penalty. He had a grin on his face, and I thought he was kidding.
          He wasn’t, and went on to explain that he had a bonus in his contract for penalty minutes and he was four minutes short. I looked at Jim and shouted, ”What did you say?” Jim quietly responded, ”**** off.” Then I shouted back, ”SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT.” Practically at the top of his lungs, he thundered, ”**** OFF!” I hollered, ”YOU’VE GOT 10!” Jim smiled and quietly thanked me before walking uptown the rubber mat to the dressing room.”
          – Kerry Fraser.
          Source: ”The Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes”

Comment

• I don't want to turn this thread into the former NHL Refs' tales from the ice but...

I was at a hockey jersey collectors gathering and former NHL ref Paul Stewart was the booth next to me signing / selling copies of his Autobiography "Ya Wanna Go?" It was great hearing him tell stories all day as people came up to buy his book and get photos. My favorite was from his first week as a ref. As Paul tells it, he ejected Yzerman, Lemieux and Gretzky all in his first week as a ref, trying to establish himself with the players as they tested what he would tolerate. Related to the Gretzky ejection [I'm paraphrasing the story] Wayne was giving Stewart a hard time all game. So finally Paul had enough and he asked Wayne if he had a marker. Gretzky asked "Why?" Paul said "So you can sign your stick and give it to a fan on your way out because you're outta here...."
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Completely unrelated... I'm in Phoenix this week for the games. If anyone has a game worn Huskies jersey they want to sell or trade for something else, just wear it to the game. Don't worry about where to meet. I'll find you. I'm always looking for the next addition to the collection.

Go Huskies! Go Tech!
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Interesting game. Hard fought. I thought we took some penalties we shouldn't have, Especially late. Listening to the ASU broadcast and the ASU fans last weekend, I think they all pretty much expected to win this game. Their second goal was a lucky bounce off a skate and to a guy open in front and then they had the shorty. Those shorty's drive me totally nuts. We looked horrible on that play. And it has happened too many times this year.

It Did look on tv like a good crowd. I didn't hear Powers' comments, but the look on his face in the press conference was extremely unhappy. I did not think we played all that well compared to some of our other games, but a win is a win.

Comment

It Did look on tv like a good crowd. I didn't hear Powers' comments, but the look on his face in the press conference was extremely unhappy. I did not think we played all that well compared to some of our other games, but a win is a win.
                  How were you able to watch it?

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyDut View Post

How were you able to watch it?
                    https://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university

Comment

• MTU certainly outplayed ASU. Congratulations & your goalie looked great! Good luck against BU, should be a good, exciting game.

Comment

• Thank you! I very much enjoyed watching that one.

Comment

• Great wins this weekend! Hopefully they keep it up.

Comment

• We'll certainly take the wins. I didn't like us taking our foot off the gas in the second period of the BU game after going up 3-0. The PP was ineffective the entire weekend, though they didn't get a ton of chances either.

Comment

• A few comments.
                              our guys look mentally fatigued. If you watch over time many of the goals against us are because we read the situation, just too slowly, on the PP we read the situation, just too slowly. Quite a number of times you can see we are just mentally not quite up to speed. a week off would do wonders!.
                              I do think at times we are also tired and skating in quicksand but I think mostly it's mental. that trip out west took it out of us and we need some time off.
                              If you watched any of the MSU vs ASU series, MSU came in after the break a different team. They are much sharper and hitting on all cylinders. The difference is stark.

Comment

I do think at times we are also tired and skating in quicksand but I think mostly it's mental. that trip out west took it out of us and we need some time off.
                                So more stamina training or not do any long distance travel?

Comment

Working...
                                X