X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >< Michigan Tech Huskies 2022-23: Over One Century of Hockey ><

Time for a new thread...

"Huskies to add Jordy Murray to Hockey Staff"

https://www.techhockeyguide.com/2022/07/13/huskies-to-add-jordy-murray-to-hockey-staff/

Tech is going to have some well conditioned kids. No surprise Joe hired someone who worked under Jeff Jackson.

Comment

I recall that as a player, he had enough talent that he could produce, but he was never the flashy big star on those UW teams. That perhaps bodes well for teaching current players how to make the most of what they've got.

Comment

"From Captain to Coach"

https://www.waterlooblackhawks.com/n...e/show/1232730

Brett Olson has retired and joined the Waterloo Black Hawks as an assistant coach. I would like to see him behind the Michigan Tech bench in the future.
        Last edited by redwing61; 07-19-2022, 04:24 PM. Reason: Edited per thread style guide...apparently

Comment

"Murray named assistant hockey coach"

https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...20220718mxo2qm

Comment

Here is the latest on use of electrolytes.
            https://thefeed.com/insider/a-shifti...2TioQRUtaO2d3c
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Maybe someone can help me out because I’m confused. Beside the head coach, Tech’s coaching staff consists of one assistant whose total previous coaching experience was as a volunteer strength and conditioning coach and the other assistants total previous coaching experience was as a volunteer development coach and between the two of them they have a total of one year as a paid coach in hockey at any level? It was mentioned that the new hire was coming from Notre Dame and that was a positive. I quickly checked Notre Dame’s staff. One assistant at Notre Dame is Paul Pooley has been with Jackson for 17 years including 2 national championship years at Lake State. Oh, yeah, he was also the head coach at Providence for 11 years where he was a 2 time finalist for the Penrose award. The other assistant is Andy Slaggert who has been coaching since 1989, has 30 years at Notre Dame, and is credited with recruiting 56 players who were drafted by NHL teams.
              I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts about the current state of Tech’s coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                Maybe someone can help me out because I’m confused. Beside the head coach, Tech’s coaching staff consists of one assistant whose total previous coaching experience was as a volunteer strength and conditioning coach and the other assistants total previous coaching experience was as a volunteer development coach and between the two of them they have a total of one year as a paid coach in hockey at any level? It was mentioned that the new hire was coming from Notre Dame and that was a positive. I quickly checked Notre Dame’s staff. One assistant at Notre Dame is Paul Pooley has been with Jackson for 17 years including 2 national championship years at Lake State. Oh, yeah, he was also the head coach at Providence for 11 years where he was a 2 time finalist for the Penrose award. The other assistant is Andy Slaggert who has been coaching since 1989, has 30 years at Notre Dame, and is credited with recruiting 56 players who were drafted by NHL teams.
                I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts about the current state of Tech’s coaching staff.
                Joe knows what he’s doing. Check his record. It’s very similar to Mel’s and is among the best of any coach since John MacInnes retired.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                  While I share some of your same concern, Tyler has been with/around coaching since he returned to Tech as a strength/conditioning coach. Tyler, while strength and conditioning coach, has been behind the bench when one of the assistants was out recruiting to serve as the 3rd coach. Joe has been working with/around Tyler for several years and had last year to see how Tyler did as a coach. Apparently he liked what he saw and felt comfortable about bringing in a "green" coach.

Jordy has a lot going for him, son of a coach, Jeff Jackson's recommendation (assumed), on ice skill development experience (something Tech sorely needs),...

Yes they might be green, but when one steps back and looks at things, this can work and gives Tech a lot of what is needed to have a successful program.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Joe knows what he’s doing. Check his record. It’s very similar to Mel’s and is among the best of any coach since John MacInnes retired.
                    Well.... On paper and at face value, yes, those statements are true. However, I would say that strength of schedule has taken a significant dip since the end of the WCHA 1.0 in 2013. In my opinion, playing in the WCHA 2.0 and CCHA 2.0 is worth about 4 more wins per season on Tech's record, regardless of who is coaching the team. The collective strength/quality of our conference since 2013 does not come anywhere close to pre-2013.

If you back out four wins per season that Tech played in those two conference arrangements, Mel drops to 110-100-29 (0.524 win percentage) and Joe drops to 85-77-16 (0.525 win percentage). For comparison, Mike Hastings record at Mankato since 2013 playing the same conference teams (and arguably a harder out of conference schedule most seasons) is 250-82-21 (0.753 win percentage).

Also keep in mind Mel/Joe are the only two coaches that even have winning records since John. So being one of the best since John isn't setting the bar super high.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Well.... On paper and at face value, yes, those statements are true. However, I would say that strength of schedule has taken a significant dip since the end of the WCHA 1.0 in 2013. In my opinion, playing in the WCHA 2.0 and CCHA 2.0 is worth about 4 more wins per season on Tech's record, regardless of who is coaching the team. The collective strength/quality of our conference since 2013 does not come anywhere close to pre-2013.

If you back out four wins per season that Tech played in those two conference arrangements, Mel drops to 110-100-29 (0.524 win percentage) and Joe drops to 85-77-16 (0.525 win percentage). For comparison, Mike Hastings record at Mankato since 2013 playing the same conference teams (and arguably a harder out of conference schedule most seasons) is 250-82-21 (0.753 win percentage).

Also keep in mind Mel/Joe are the only two coaches that even have winning records since John. So being one of the best since John isn't setting the bar super high.
                      While I agree with your assessment, it is a mute point. Yes John is the best coach Tech had. Yes the WCHA 2.0/CCHA 2.0 is not as strong as the WCHA 1.0. That's not the point. The point is Joe is proving he can coach and maintaining the level of success that a certain former Husky turned Skunk Weasel revived. We can debate if Skunk Weasel benefited from a weak WCHA 2.0, playing with WCHA 1.0 talent, and having Tanner Kero gifted to him.

The Hastings comparison is superfluous. He is a top tier coach and has built a top tier program.

I know you want us to be there, but considering Tech's 100+ year history, we are in a good place with Tech hockey. Could it be better, yes. Should we be challenging MnSU for the league championship year in year out? Of course. Let's be real though. We are settling into a competitive league with MnSU at the top and a dogfight for the remaining home ice spots. Joe successfully went through a re-building and took us to the tournament. Now the team needs to re-load and tweak some things. Hopefully there is some development and guys put in a lot of skill work this off season.

Comment

i think today's "joe shawhan hour" is telling... and jordy is even on with joe. pretty fun...

https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/..._072022_SM.MP3

Comment

Reading between the lines, I interpret Brooks' departure as him wanting to focus on his family and on player development, and having less time/appetite for the level of recruiting travel that Joe wants. Thus, Joe sees this staff turnover as a "win-win" and a good opportunity for Tech to get back to his preferred staffing model of having two young assistants who have the time to focus on both the recruiting trail grind and player development. It's unfortunate to hear Joe admit that he thinks our recruiting fell behind, but he did call out Tyler's work on the recruiting trail last year, which I think is a good sign and we'll see what Jordy Murray can accomplish once he gets out there.

Also worthy of note is that Tech is currently undertaking a series of locker room upgrades to help win recruiting battles, including new showers, hydrotherapy, and a weight room expansion. They did some analysis on a possible addition to the existing facilities, but ultimately concluded that they could do what they need to do within the existing footprint.

EDIT: They also added an afternoon exhibition against Lake State on 10/1 to kick off the season and are finalizing another exhibition game against Lakehead to occur shortly after that, probably Monday evening 10/3
                          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-26-2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

It was a good show. Agree fully on why Brooks left, a win win. Liked hearing from Jordy, sounds like he is full of energy.

Any photos of the locker room and coach area remodel?

Comment

Brooks is wanting a head coaching position, the lateral move gives him experience in another league and as Joe mentioned not a team coming out of a recruiting class "high" as Tech did.

Just listening to Jordy has me excited for the next couple years of Tech hockey. We lost a tactician in Brooks, but if we are stronger, and displaying more skill and the new coaches scour the earth for talent I do not see any concerns with relative inexperience as they deserve a shot with their credentials

Comment

Working...
                              X