X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Originally posted by StateofHockey78 View Post

Ironically, mine too. They put a pacemaker in him and he's still going at 92. As far as the Mavs go seems like it should be a rebuild for them now, right? I feel like more than a few of those players have been around forever.
    As they say, best state to get sick in.

Ugh. Mankato has a program built on group buy in. Their guys stick to that programs like glue. I don't recall any of their contributors leaving for the Portal.

On a Tech related topic. Lipe signed with the Iowa Heartlanders. Wish him the best.

Leave a comment:

• StateofHockey78
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

No Problem. I want to see Tech break through the NCAA win barrier as well. We have some work to do to add talent to the roster and address the awful turnovers/breakaways that plagued us this year. Be nice to needle my Dad (Mankato Alumni) about Tech being able to take down the Purple Cows and house some hardware.

I grew up in MN and the U of M gave my Grandpa several more years of life. I'm pulling the Gophers now that Tech's season is over.
    Ironically, mine too. They put a pacemaker in him and he's still going at 92. As far as the Mavs go seems like it should be a rebuild for them now, right? I feel like more than a few of those players have been around forever.

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied

No doubt about the Covid year impact. I think you make another good point here too. I was probably an a-hole for reacting to comments fresh off the loss. Apologize for that. I really want to see this program have some success and grab a few wins in the NCAA. I rooted for these guys as a kid, they always use to come and beat the hell out of us physically and were just so damn hard to score on. It was hard not to be in awe when you look up at players that looked like tree trunks with your face pressed on the glass as a kid. Beyond that we have alumni in the family so it's always one of those secondary options I follow when I've got my fill of Gophers. Here's to a strong off-season for your club!
    No Problem. I want to see Tech break through the NCAA win barrier as well. We have some work to do to add talent to the roster and address the awful turnovers/breakaways that plagued us this year. Be nice to needle my Dad (Mankato Alumni) about Tech being able to take down the Purple Cows and house some hardware.

I grew up in MN and the U of M gave my Grandpa several more years of life. I'm pulling the Gophers now that Tech's season is over.

Leave a comment:

• StateofHockey78
    replied
    Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post

You're complaining about teams that weren't even good enough to qualify for the NCAA tournament?
    This persecution complex is such a bad look.

Players acquired through transfer:

CCHA (Not counting former UAH players)
    Bemidji - 3
    BGSU - 4
    Ferris - 1
    LSSU - 6
    Tech - 4
    'Kato - 1
    Northern - 5
    ST - 6
    League AVG - 3.75

B10
    UMich - 1
    MSU - 6
    UMinn - 1
    ND - 6
    OSU - 4
    PSU - 1
    Wisco - 2
    League AVG - 3

AVG for NCAA Tournament teams:
    CCHA - 2.5
    B10 - 1.75
    The number is even more skewed if you eliminate players who played less than 10 games for their team this season.

PSU's one transfer player, Ashton Calder, went from LSSU->North Dakota->PSU. He had 1pt in the game against Tech.
    As for OSU, all of their 4 transfers came from...........BU and QU.
    Notre Dame picked up their transfers coming from HE (3) NCHC (1) B10 (1) and a 3rd string goalie from the ECAC who has a total of 4 college hockey games under his belt.
    It's also worth noting that one of Tech's top 2 denfensemen was a transfer from OSU, and 2 of the top 6 forwards were transfers including one from Denver.

There's so much more that could be said about this, but I'll end with the fact that MN lost 2 veteran guys in Jonny Sorenson (UA 10g 18a 34gp) and Jack Perbix (WMU 6g 13a 39gp).
    These two both logged a lot of time on the PK in previous years and would have strengthened a 4th line that has been a carousel of freshmen this entire season.
    Don't forget about Tristan Broz either...10-18-28 for DU this year on the 2nd line.

Leave a comment:

• Puckstopper467
    replied
    B1G Avg will go up to around 4 next year. MSU alone is bringing in 8-10 players

Leave a comment:

• Burnt Orange Husky
    replied
    Joe's postgame press conference:
    https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2022-23/videos/20230324-ku88xt0u

Joe is such a classy guy. Lots of good insight in his comments. I'm so glad he's our coach.

Tech has a lot of highly paid engineering alumni who could afford to throw some NIL money into the mix.
    The Curse of Oak Island's Lagina brothers come to mind...
    Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 03-27-2023, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    PSU had 2 transfer players. Calder and a kid from RPI.
    Ture Linden. CHN lists his last team as being in the NAHL https://www.collegehockeynews.com/re.../Penn-State/60
    So there might be a couple others missed on the list, I don't have it in me to go through and click every player on every roster. I think it's probably reasonable to assume missed players aren't going to favor one conference over the other and the points in the initial post remain.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    PSU had 2 transfer players. Calder and a kid from RPI.

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied
    Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
    Stauber, Michigan, and Minnesota do not need the portal look at all the NHL drafted players. Now the teams below them watch this year, MSU is loading up through the portal, Penn State will need the portal to keep up as will Notre Dame. ND will be active now with teams dropping out of the tourney. Wisconsin has been in the portal and when new coach is named will hit the portal.. The only way MSU can rebound is the portal. The top PP unit next season will be ALL portal players. so do not sit here and just look at the teams in this tourney.. OSU let me think where did Wise come from?? great recruiting I guess
    You're complaining about teams that weren't even good enough to qualify for the NCAA tournament?
    This persecution complex is such a bad look.

Players acquired through transfer:

CCHA (Not counting former UAH players)
    Bemidji - 3
    BGSU - 4
    Ferris - 1
    LSSU - 6
    Tech - 4
    'Kato - 1
    Northern - 5
    ST - 6
    League AVG - 3.75

B10
    UMich - 1
    MSU - 6
    UMinn - 1
    ND - 6
    OSU - 4
    PSU - 1
    Wisco - 2
    League AVG - 3

AVG for NCAA Tournament teams:
    CCHA - 2.5
    B10 - 1.75
    The number is even more skewed if you eliminate players who played less than 10 games for their team this season.

PSU's one transfer player, Ashton Calder, went from LSSU->North Dakota->PSU. He had 1pt in the game against Tech.
    As for OSU, all of their 4 transfers came from...........BU and QU.
    Notre Dame picked up their transfers coming from HE (3) NCHC (1) B10 (1) and a 3rd string goalie from the ECAC who has a total of 4 college hockey games under his belt.
    It's also worth noting that one of Tech's top 2 denfensemen was a transfer from OSU, and 2 of the top 6 forwards were transfers including one from Denver.

There's so much more that could be said about this, but I'll end with the fact that MN lost 2 veteran guys in Jonny Sorenson (UA 10g 18a 34gp) and Jack Perbix (WMU 6g 13a 39gp).
    These two both logged a lot of time on the PK in previous years and would have strengthened a 4th line that has been a carousel of freshmen this entire season.

Leave a comment:

• StateofHockey78
    replied

No problem. Thanks for the outside perspective.

Last comments on the portal, there is only so much ice time available. If a player wants to get seen, they need to be on the ice at some point. I think the COVID year has made the portal mean more than it would under more "normal" circumstances.

I like the XX hour rule. You get a set time (typically 24 or 48 hours) to vent about what happened as it is good to get that out of the system. After that, it has to be turned into something productive (improvement planning/action).
    No doubt about the Covid year impact. I think you make another good point here too. I was probably an a-hole for reacting to comments fresh off the loss. Apologize for that. I really want to see this program have some success and grab a few wins in the NCAA. I rooted for these guys as a kid, they always use to come and beat the hell out of us physically and were just so damn hard to score on. It was hard not to be in awe when you look up at players that looked like tree trunks with your face pressed on the glass as a kid. Beyond that we have alumni in the family so it's always one of those secondary options I follow when I've got my fill of Gophers. Here's to a strong off-season for your club!

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied

Thanks for keeping me honest. I think there's a little bit on both ends of the spectrum that are valid.

I wasn't trying to gloss over St. Cyr, but my point there is the power programs lose just like the little guys. It's not like you look at QU losing St. Cyr and think, wow the rich are just getting richer. I can think of 20 schools I'd have rather gone to if I was St. Cyr, but this is where he knew he could start and DeRidder was a very competent goalie who left because M State stunk. Kind of a push in my eyes and this isn't taking from the have nots.

"Remember folks the portal is making this a Big Ten, HE, and NCHC Gold Elite tourney" - If this isn't saying we can't complete because of the portal, then what is it saying?

This was my position - The impact of transfers much like free agents is overstated/overrated.

I understand the fan base reaction commentary. If the Gophers lose, say to Boston, I'm sure we'll hear from all kinds of people with excuses about something. I'm just not the type to join in on that type of reaction. The portal reaction, in my opinion, is a pretty typical one anytime change occurs. People have a hard time with change. As soon as you work through and overcome the objections though, people can then move forward, embrace what's in front of them, and begin to use it to their advantage.

No problem. Thanks for the outside perspective.

Last comments on the portal, there is only so much ice time available. If a player wants to get seen, they need to be on the ice at some point. I think the COVID year has made the portal mean more than it would under more "normal" circumstances.

I like the XX hour rule. You get a set time (typically 24 or 48 hours) to vent about what happened as it is good to get that out of the system. After that, it has to be turned into something productive (improvement planning/action).

Leave a comment:

• StateofHockey78
    replied

Tell us how you really feel.

I get it and you do have points about the portal and some FF schools not needing/using transfers. The impact of transfers much like free agents is overstated/overrated. No amount of free agents/transfers are going to get a championship unless the vast majority of the team is already in place. Adding quality transfers/free agents will make a "bad" team better/competitive faster, see Sparty. Adding a competent, every game goalie is a huge upgrade and is glossed over/understated in your assessment. Adding depth/overall talent creates competition and drives growth. This frequently gets overlooked. Conclusions, transfers can and do help a team. Larger schools (B1G, NCHC, HE) have better odds at landing a proven D1 players.

I have not heard anyone say "we can't compete" because of the portal. I have heard people say it makes it harder for smaller schools to compete.

You're not saying anything about Tech that we don't know. Some Tech fans are a bit sore about how the season ended. We knew/know our overall team had significant flaws and it was Blake keeping us in games. (If you joined/were on the Tech Discord it is all about Blake on gameday.) Joe has not hid the fact that our team is high end talent starved because he hasn't recruited well. Joe owns that. (Hence the reason for the recent coaching changes.)

Yes, Joe does complain about things, but that isn't the reason he isn't overly active in the portal. Joe has a type he looks for and isn't going to get a player just to get a player. When we have players from the portal just our team, generally they have done well for us and overall are positive contributors.

Thinking Tech/Houghton can wave a magic wand an make money rain from the sky for better facilities is laughable on so many levels. #1 Tech has a small fanbase (Maybe 50,000 people to draw from). #2 The fanbase isn't wealthy. #3 Tech cares about this thing called academics and conduct, even for athletes. #4 Tech has maxed out what they can do with what limited resources that they have. Our gameday experience is one of the best in the nation. We travel just as well as anyone except NoDak. Could it be better, yes. Everything in hindsight could be better. Tech has brought in 2 new coaches in the last 2 years that are pounding the pavement, getting better recruits, and actively working with the current team to get better. They renovated the locker room/training facilities.

Finally Name a fanbase that hasn't vented or said irrational things when they hit a level and can't seem to break through.
    Thanks for keeping me honest. I think there's a little bit on both ends of the spectrum that are valid.

I wasn't trying to gloss over St. Cyr, but my point there is the power programs lose just like the little guys. It's not like you look at QU losing St. Cyr and think, wow the rich are just getting richer. I can think of 20 schools I'd have rather gone to if I was St. Cyr, but this is where he knew he could start and DeRidder was a very competent goalie who left because M State stunk. Kind of a push in my eyes and this isn't taking from the have nots.

"Remember folks the portal is making this a Big Ten, HE, and NCHC Gold Elite tourney" - If this isn't saying we can't complete because of the portal, then what is it saying?

This was my position - The impact of transfers much like free agents is overstated/overrated.

I understand the fan base reaction commentary. If the Gophers lose, say to Boston, I'm sure we'll hear from all kinds of people with excuses about something. I'm just not the type to join in on that type of reaction. The portal reaction, in my opinion, is a pretty typical one anytime change occurs. People have a hard time with change. As soon as you work through and overcome the objections though, people can then move forward, embrace what's in front of them, and begin to use it to their advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Puckstopper467
    replied
    I think BG should focus more on recruiting and building up with impact freshman players that you have for 4 years like a Swankler, and Ohara. I mean they were eliminated by a Ferris team with 6 Freshman in the line up who were contributing. just a thought. On a side note Tech, Minnesota State, BSU really do a good job bringing Freshman along and are getting better. Honestly folks watch the portal imports into the Big Ten this off season and tell me the portal is good for college hockey. Back out the UM/MINN comparison as they get the NHL drafted players who are directed there by their agents. same with BC, and BU

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied

No one ever said it doesn't hurt teams/leagues. Will it lean more favorably to power conferences overall, ABSOLUTELY. Does that mean a smaller program cannot complete, NO. I just think it's inaccurate to say it doesn't impact all teams. I also don't believe for one second the portal has anything to do with why MN and Michigan are in the FF. ZERO taken, 8 lost. How does that equate? People making this argument are also completely discounting the fact some teams have already learned how to use this to their advantage and it's not just power conferences. I also think the other poster who claims that when players leave, they are just flawed B1G players vs stars moving to stronger programs is false. What's the basis for the claim the players leaving B1G are scrubs? Most of them are going to be highly touted players who just couldn't get playing time. MN as one example lost at least 3 players I would love to have had on the roster this year, but these high-end players don't want to be 3rd and 4th line guys. Some of these players have absolutely shined this year after leaving.

Let's also examine this claim that M State wouldn't be half as good without transfers. They have exactly 3 players in it's top 14 in scoring that were transfers. Jeremy Davidson and Miroslav Mucha being the only two worth a salt. Davidson came from UMASS and scored 3 pts there in the one year he played back in 19-20. Mucha came from LSSU last year and was nice for them one year (10-25-35), but why wouldn't he leave they are terrible? Mucha's stat line coming to a stronger league 7-10-17 (not exactly earth shattering). Dubinsky, Jallen, Underwood, and Nolan were all terrible, just go look at their stats (a whopping 15 pts combined). They also lost 5 players in the portal and were fortunate to replace DeRidder (who left them for ND) by stealing St Cyr from QU. If you actually watched this team play you'd know it's upper classmen who have been at this program and it's actual incoming freshman were largely the reason for its success paired with a coach who actually knows how to do just that, coach. You can't just look at the teams results and claim it's all portal driven. The facts tell me otherwise.

Programs rise and fall all the time. Little Quinnipiac has built a dynasty in a minor league and due to their consistent success they landed possibly the best transfer of all, Graf (from inter-conference Union), and yet people just use the portal to throw up their hands and say we can't complete? Maybe if that MTU coach didn't spend his time whining and more time learning how to recruit and the school invested in it's facilities to attract better talent they too could compete more effectively. Some schools get it, and some don't (plenty of examples of smaller programs understanding this). If I were MTU I'd be hustling to get new facilities in place and start learning how to recruit via the portal. This team was once a great power in another time, it can be again, but it needs to accept reality and start learning how to make it work for them rather than acting defeatist. Also, if a program as awful as M State has been, was able to grab a few players perhaps you should look at your coaching staff and ask, why couldn't you figure out how to bring in bit better talent too given how solidly we've been near the top of our league of late?

I'm not discounting your opinion, I think you're an intelligent poster and appreciate all your comments these last few months. I took issue with the original poster who claimed this is all just turning into a gold elite tourney for the three "power" conferences because of the portal. Everyone, even you knew MTU was giving up way too many grade A chances and Pietila has holding it together like duct tape over a leaky pipe. The pipe burst the last two weeks and for me I look to the coaching staff not the portal.
    Tell us how you really feel.

I get it and you do have points about the portal and some FF schools not needing/using transfers. The impact of transfers much like free agents is overstated/overrated. No amount of free agents/transfers are going to get a championship unless the vast majority of the team is already in place. Adding quality transfers/free agents will make a "bad" team better/competitive faster, see Sparty. Adding a competent, every game goalie is a huge upgrade and is glossed over/understated in your assessment. Adding depth/overall talent creates competition and drives growth. This frequently gets overlooked. Conclusions, transfers can and do help a team. Larger schools (B1G, NCHC, HE) have better odds at landing a proven D1 players.

I have not heard anyone say "we can't compete" because of the portal. I have heard people say it makes it harder for smaller schools to compete.

You're not saying anything about Tech that we don't know. Some Tech fans are a bit sore about how the season ended. We knew/know our overall team had significant flaws and it was Blake keeping us in games. (If you joined/were on the Tech Discord it is all about Blake on gameday.) Joe has not hid the fact that our team is high end talent starved because he hasn't recruited well. Joe owns that. (Hence the reason for the recent coaching changes.) Tech has brought in 2 new coaches in the last 2 years that are pounding the pavement, getting better recruits, and actively working with the current team to get better. Considering Joe won CCHA coach of the year, I don't think the issue is coaching.

Yes, Joe does complain about things, but that isn't the reason he isn't overly active in the portal. Joe has a type he looks for and isn't going to get a player just to get a player. When we have players from the portal join the team, generally they have done well and overall are positive contributors.

Thinking Tech/Houghton can wave a magic wand an make money rain from the sky for better facilities is laughable on so many levels. #1 Tech has a small fanbase (Maybe 50,000 people to draw from). #2 The fanbase isn't wealthy. #3 Tech cares about this thing called academics and conduct, even for athletes. #4 Tech has maxed out what they can do with what limited resources that they have. Our gameday experience is one of the best in the nation. We travel just as well as anyone except NoDak. Could it be better, yes. Everything in hindsight could be better.

Finally Name a fanbase that hasn't vented or said irrational things when they hit a level and can't seem to break through.
    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 03-27-2023, 11:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied

Not a problem. It is portal season and it is a league/D1 wide thing.

It is hard to gauge who was let walk vs who chose to walk away. In general, I think we can say 1 CCHA has been really hurt by the portal (LSSU), 1 team stung (FSU), 3-4 teams mixed bag to positive, 1 team unaffected, and one team cleaning up* (St Thomas).

*It would be hard for them to be hurt by the portal.

PS your #12 shouldn't be playing NCAA hockey. ;-)
    At this point, LSSU only has 1 non-grad transfer player (DenBeste) in the portal so maybe they won't get hurt by it this off-season. DenBeste hasn't played much for the Lakers and is probably just looking for playing time somewhere else. Bengtsson only played 3 seasons at LSSU but is getting his degree this Spring so his entry into the portal isn't surprising.
    Last edited by Bill; 03-27-2023, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X