Off-Season Entertainment: Expansion Fantasyland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Season Entertainment: Expansion Fantasyland

Despite the fact that it’s mid-June and the Stanley Cup Playoffs haven’t even reached the final round, it’s the lazy, hazy days of summer for the college hockey world with seemingly little to talk about except what might be going on with a certain coach of a certain program.

But let’s suspend reality for awhile and debate how much expansion involving which institutions would help grow the college game, make it more relevant, attract more fans, and bring national media coverage that extends beyond the Frozen Four.
    For purposes of this discussion, everything is possible. Longstanding bugaboos like startup costs, Title IX compliance, and (IMO) pushback from entrenched hoops interests that don’t want in-season revenue-producing competition don’t exist. Same for impacts on existing conferences.

So, with that said, here is my expansion fantasyland:
    Northeast: Rhode Island, Syracuse. (Either one would make a perfect 12th team for HEA)

East: Navy (only Service academy left adrift); Rutgers, Maryland (would fill out the B1G nicely); Penn (visibility in the Philly area; Ivy company for Princeton)

Midwest: Nebraska, Iowa (See Rutgers/Maryland above); Iowa State (good fit for the CCHA?) North Dakota State (Why not? Especially with UND up the road and the Augies down the road). DQ: Illinois

West: Arizona (obvious reasons); UNLV ($$$$ and venues already there); Colorado (northern anchor for a Tucson/Phoenix/CO Springs/Denver/Boulder axis)

We all know that nothing like this is likely to happen in our lifetimes but it should be fun discussing what might, should, or should not happen. Not to mention other opinions.
    Last edited by Split-N; 06-12-2022, 09:39 AM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

East: Navy (only Service academy left adrift);
    I see what you did there ...
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Would like to have Penn back
      "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

I long thought that UAlbany would make a perfect fit for Hockey East. Would fit in well with the state schools, and they already play in the same bball conference as Maine, UNH, and Vermont. They used to be in the same conference as BU, so there are already some natural rivalries. Out of conference, obviously RPI and Union, and they play in the same bball conference as Quinnipiac. There is no on campus rink, but they might be able to use the MVP Arena (they would have to alternate a home schedule with Siena basketball in regards to rink availability). They are getting bigger but I think it could work at that place.
        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

How about Northwestern to bring college hockey back to the Chicago area?
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
            How about Northwestern to bring college hockey back to the Chicago area?
            And play where? There's no space to build a rink on campus & I can't see students making the half hour drive to Allstate Arena or the United Center.
            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
            ECAC:
            HEA: UMass
            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post

And play where? There's no space to build a rink on campus & I can't see students making the half hour drive to Allstate Arena or the United Center.
              That’s the tricky bit. They just did a major renovation to their basketball arena, so the idea that they’d replace it with a dual-purpose facility is out the window.

There are plenty of community rinks in the northern shore burbs, so I guess if one were replaced with a 5,000 seat arena there are possibilities, but that’s not anything I’d say is super likely to happen.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The most likely things are:
                • Arizona/UNLV (club teams with access to and/or plans to build suitable arenas)
                • Whatever happens with the Northeast-10 teams (we saw Wodon claim St Anselm is considering options in one of his recent columns) now that Stonehill has moved on in a different way
                • I guess Simon Fraser? Maybe that’s dreamcasting on behalf of the Alaska schools, but that PNW area is what would help the Nanooks and Seawolves the most. Kind of a shame that the WHL has been in OR/WA for so long instead of the NCAA.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  The most likely things are:
                  • Arizona/UNLV (club teams with access to and/or plans to build suitable arenas)
                  • Whatever happens with the Northeast-10 teams (we saw Wodon claim St Anselm is considering options in one of his recent columns) now that Stonehill has moved on in a different way
                  • I guess Simon Fraser? Maybe that’s dreamcasting on behalf of the Alaska schools, but that PNW area is what would help the Nanooks and Seawolves the most. Kind of a shame that the WHL has been in OR/WA for so long instead of the NCAA.
                  University of Arizona just announced a new arena, not on-campus, doesn't state seating capacity but I suspect its maybe 2000+ (?)
                  https://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/arti...a-hockey-arena

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post

University of Arizona just announced a new arena, not on-campus, doesn't state seating capacity but I suspect its maybe 2000+ (?)
                    https://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/arti...a-hockey-arena
                    The article is remarkable for what it doesn't say. According to the story, the "iceplex" will include three rinks but doesn't mention if any of those will be a "stadium" rink.

Interesting that multiple references to "the Arizona hockey team" doesn't include the word "club." Be that as it may, Arizona, UNLV and a few others have the look and feel of varsity programs without being varsity programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      The article is remarkable for what it doesn't say. According to the story, the "iceplex" will include three rinks but doesn't mention if any of those will be a "stadium" rink.

Interesting that multiple references to "the Arizona hockey team" doesn't include the word "club." Be that as it may, Arizona, UNLV and a few others have the look and feel of varsity programs without being varsity programs.
                      Here is a press release on the Mosiac Quarter, which clearly states Arizona will exclusive rights to the 3,000 seat stadium rink.

Here is a press release that clearly states the Arizona hockey team is a club team.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I have always been surprised that Wisconsin only has one D1 hockey school with Minnesota having 6 and Michigan having 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                          I have always been surprised that Wisconsin only has one D1 hockey school with Minnesota having 6 and Michigan having 7.
                          https://www.reddit.com/r/collegehockey/comments/up6ygn/why_doesnt_wisconsin_have_more_di_hockey_teams/

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            Here is a press release on the Mosiac Quarter, which clearly states Arizona will exclusive rights to the 3,000 seat stadium rink.

Here is a press release that clearly states the Arizona hockey team is a club team.

Sean
                            So glad you have the time and wherewithal to drill down and find additional links. The context of my brief comment related exclusively to Arizona Wildcat article (https://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/arti...a-hockey-arena), which did not include any references to the articles you cited. That being said, nice to know that the plan includes a stadium rink, though it seems smallish (~3,000) for future D1 hockey purposes.

Comment

Tell that to UConn

Well, and actually a fairly large amount of the existing D-I schools, but mostly UConn because theirs is a new building seating 2,600.

Comment

Working...
                              X