No announcement yet.

Harvard Crimson 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Certain players were missing in the post season, like Wong and Deveaux and Aucoin. Were there injuries, or does the roster get cut down for the ncaa tournament.

Also, not sure if folks know that Foskett was helped off the ice at the end of the game. He could put no weight on his right leg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is this just pessimism (optimism?) or had there been earlier signs/rumors they are leaving? I was floored Farrell left. Players just don't leave Harvard early.

Edit: Calgary sure seems to think they are signing Coronato.
      If a player dominates at the college level and has nothing left to prove (as is the case for Farrell and Coronato), they will in the vast majority of cases sign a pro deal. The biggest exception I can think of is Jimmy Vesey. Donato, Fox, Marino, and many others left Harvard early.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynah Rink View Post
        If a player dominates at the college level and has nothing left to prove (as is the case for Farrell and Coronato), they will in the vast majority of cases sign a pro deal. The biggest exception I can think of is Jimmy Vesey. Donato, Fox, Marino, and many others left Harvard early.
        I guess my thinking is, like the rest of me, Old. I had guys like MacDonald and the Moores in mind.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The biggest exception I can think of is Jimmy Vesey.
          Don’t forget about Alex Killorn. He wanted to actually earn his degree from Harvard, and did that and made it into the NHL!
          https://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...tning/2230628/
          Colgate '09

Comment

• Coronato signed. Like I said, there was no shot either of them came back. Now it's a waiting game for Laferriere, who is a toss up in my eyes

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
              Coronato signed. Like I said, there was no shot either of them came back. Now it's a waiting game for Laferriere, who is a toss up in my eyes
              Well that was quick. Laferriere has signed too. Guess that wasn't really a toss up since it was so quick

Comment

• I wish the Harvard players who left the best in the NHL, always root for them. That said, I don't understand how a player like Coronato can make it in the NHL. He took a big hit against Princeton in the ECAC playoffs, afterwards didn't go into the corners or dig. Has not looked like the same players since, gun-shy and gets testy with contact. How will he survive in the NHL?

Myself, I wish Harvard would recruit players who are not as flashy, but good solid workers, who are committed to the team rather than their own careers after playing a few years. The kind of players the Cornells recruit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
                  I wish the Harvard players who left the best in the NHL, always root for them. That said, I don't understand how a player like Coronato can make it in the NHL. He took a big hit against Princeton in the ECAC playoffs, but afterward didn't go into the corners or dig. Has not looked like the same player since, is gun-shy and gets testy with contact. How will he survive in the NHL?

Myself, I wish Harvard would recruit players who are not as flashy but are good solid workers who are committed to the team rather than their own careers after playing a few years. The kind of players the Cornells recruit.
                  That is extremely well said. Those are my thoughts exactly.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Harvard spent too much time focusing on its Academic Index and not enough time
                    on Ohio State :/
                    If not the AI, perhaps too much focus on signing NHL contracts rather then the game at hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I guess my thinking is, like the rest of me, Old. I had guys like MacDonald and the Moores in mind.
                      This year with at least three going pro with less than four seasons at Harvard confirms a growing trend. Besides Lane MacDonald and the Moore brothers, I think of Alex Kerfoot, Alex Biega, Alex Killorn, Colin Blackwell, Kyle Criscuolo, Mark Fusco, and Jimmy Vesey all of whom played four years. However, since COVID the trend seems to be shifting to leaving early. Louis Leblanc was one of the first to go pro early when he signed with Montreal. Ryan Donato was next followed by Adam Fox, John Marino, Jack Drury, Jack Rathbone, Nick Abruzzese, and Reilly Walsh. Now Matt, Sean and Alex have joined the crowd. BTW I have heard that many guys on the team take summer courses in order to advance their academic program. I think most finished their degrees working over the summer and, during COVID, finishing remotely online.

I think it would be wise if we return to recruiting solid team members committed to four years. So many drafted players may be a distraction that even a good, but young, team doesn't need. After Friday's devastating defeat, it's back to basics and a rebuild.
                      Last edited by HUJFKLINE; 03-27-2023, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LastRowRegular View Post
                        Question: Certain players were missing in the post season, like Wong and Deveaux and Aucoin. Were there injuries, or does the roster get cut down for the ncaa tournament.

Also, not sure if folks know that Foskett was helped off the ice at the end of the game. He could put no weight on his right leg.
                        I think in the case of Wong, his major penalty during the Princeton series sealed the deal that he wouldn't play in the semis and the NCAA tournament. Once they moved Gaffney down to the fourth line, Deveaux became a casualty. Aucoin has been in and out of the lineup since the end of January and I can't say for sure if health was an issue. He should get regular playing time next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUJFKLINE View Post

This year with at least three going pro with less than four seasons at Harvard confirms a growing trend. Besides Lane MacDonald and the Moore brothers, I think of Alex Kerfoot, Alex Biega, Alex Killorn, Colin Blackwell, Kyle Criscuolo, Mark Fusco, and Jimmy Vesey all of whom played four years. However, since COVID the trend seems to be shifting to leaving early. Louis Leblanc was one of the first to go pro early when he signed with Montreal. Ryan Donato was next followed by Adam Fox, John Marino, Jack Drury, Jack Rathbone, Nick Abruzzese, and Reilly Walsh. Now Matt, Sean and Alex have joined the crowd. BTW I have heard that many guys on the team take summer courses in order to advance their academic program. I think most finished their degrees working over the summer and, during COVID, finishing remotely online.

I think it would be wise if we return to recruiting solid team members committed to four years. So many drafted players may be a distraction that even a good, but young, team doesn't need. After Friday's devastating defeat, it's back to basics and a rebuild.
                          You could add Sean Malone and Tyler Moy to that list as well. Thrun could have left after last year. Some players will stay, others will leave. No question we took a major hit losing Sean, Matthew and Alex. The rebuild won't be easy although defensively, we'll have depth.

To compete against HE and to a lesser extent, teams from the West require that Harvard recruit players who may leave school early. Jack Badini left early, and it hasn't worked out for him. So did Brian Hart and he never made it onto Tampa's roster. Jack Drury is up with Carolina only because Svetchnikov is out for the season. It isn't a lock to make an NHL roster just because you may have a lofty draft status. And admissions hates it when these guys leave early. So, there may be a course correction coming in the next few years. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                          X