Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCHA v2.9.1 - BGSU BSU FSU LSSU MSU MTU NMU UST & Special Guests - The Augie Vikings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AgentClass
    replied
    Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
    But Mankato and Augie have standalone TV broadcasts that go to Flo as well. Everyone else just uses the radio call...with video...for Flo. Big difference. Realize that we are...mostly...all small markets. Expecting to see on Flo what you're seeing on over the air, or network cable, TV, is unrealistic.
    Yeah as a Mavs fan the production quality is good enough, but I would love if they just added the radio call. TV PxP is awful and it's amazing that he's been doing it for 24 years.

Leave a comment:

• thebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by AgentClass View Post

Almost every team in the league has issues ranging from mid-range to major with their broadcast. Which is funny because an elevated viewing experience was one of Don's new CCHA key points and basically nothing has changed other than the scorebug looking the same on each broadcast. It's embarrassing that Augustana came in as a brand new year-one program and instantly had the best presentation in the league, and it's not even close.
    And today Midco, the cable company behind Augustana’s TV production, laid off its play-by-play announcer and several others.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-col...s-on-streaming

Leave a comment:

• thebrain
    replied
    The league needs to contract with a production company to handle all aspects of the game. It might be difficult, but not undo able, given the geographical spread of the conference and not knowing where the championship game will be until a week beforehand.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    I like that the league is working towards a more professional product.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
    But Mankato and Augie have standalone TV broadcasts that go to Flo as well. Everyone else just uses the radio call...with video...for Flo. Big difference. Realize that we are...mostly...all small markets. Expecting to see on Flo what you're seeing on over the air, or network cable, TV, is unrealistic.
    And yet the league itself expected that in its championship game.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AgentClass
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    The CCHA got a hard lesson last night.

Just bringing in different voices doesn't make it a TV broadcast.

They asked a lot of Bemidji and their video crew, and the results weren't pretty. Audio issues on both player interviews and with the commissioner in the booth, a lead camera who couldn't find the puck multiple times, substandard intermission content, and a booth shot that can only be described as chaotic. They had a camera inside the booth that clearly wasn't working, so they used the angle from across that's usually how they show the radio booth. People walking in and out of the shot, the camera op head in the shot every time, and no one bothered to turn off the giant light they were going to use for the camera in the booth.

But then again, this is what happens when you give the league broadcast rights to a streaming company who has no intention of ever doing an actual linear broadcast.
    Almost every team in the league has issues ranging from mid-range to major with their broadcast. Which is funny because an elevated viewing experience was one of Don's new CCHA key points and basically nothing has changed other than the scorebug looking the same on each broadcast. It's embarrassing that Augustana came in as a brand new year-one program and instantly had the best presentation in the league, and it's not even close.

Leave a comment:

• Puckstopper467
    replied
    I agree, watched the NCHC playoff and they are CBSSN with top coverage, and then watching Big 10 hockey. Then you get the CCHA on Flo.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

They asked a lot of Bemidji and their video crew, and the results weren't pretty. Audio issues on both player interviews and with the commissioner in the booth, a lead camera who couldn't find the puck multiple times, substandard intermission content, and a booth shot that can only be described as chaotic. They had a camera inside the booth that clearly wasn't working, so they used the angle from across that's usually how they show the radio booth. People walking in and out of the shot, the camera op head in the shot every time, and no one bothered to turn off the giant light they were going to use for the camera in the booth.

But then again, this is what happens when you give the league broadcast rights to a streaming company who has no intention of ever doing an actual linear broadcast.
    Agreed. Also in the pre-game pressers the players' mics were off and in the post-game presser the coach's mic was good with no background noise but all the other mics had a ton of noise and were hard to hear. personally, they would be better off letting a broadcast company such as the local pbs station, who used to carry it live from Bemidji, broadcast the final in addition to flo carrying it.
    I thought Holden and Micholetti were interesting but not as detailed as I would have liked.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    No offense to Holden or Micholetti but if they had replaced our announcing team with them I'd be ****ed. I like the BSU guys. Well mostly.

Leave a comment:

• TalonsUpPuckDown
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I'm so sorry to BG fans for losing Ty Eigner. He was a class guy and I certainly hope he has good luck going forward. I also hope the Swankler debacle didn't hurt him.
    Swankler had little to do with this, the police report concluded there was no hazing and intimated Swankler made it (hazing) up. The investigation uncovered violations of the University Code of Conduct (underage drinking) which resulted in the player suspensions. Though one never really knows.

The dismissal was performance related. I'm really sorry it had to come to this but the team has been struggling for a while now. He's a great guy and we all wish him the best.
    Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 03-11-2024, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    I'm so sorry to BG fans for losing Ty Eigner. He was a class guy and I certainly hope he has good luck going forward. I also hope the Swankler debacle didn't hurt him.

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied
    Originally posted by tmoney@nmu View Post

I mean, I pay for it. Doesn't mean I have to be satisfied with the service. I am happy that I'm able to watch NMU from my home in St. Louis. Even the closest away games are about an 8 hour drive (Ferris and Bowling Green). I understand the biggest reason for the cost is they're covering niche sports and niche schools. The pool of customers is going to be a lot smaller than any other streamer.
    I'd almost wager money Flo has more subscribers for racing than hockey. Especially after the merger with MAVTV. Flo is a sponsor of Kyle Larson when he runs dirt.

Leave a comment:

• tmoney@nmu
    replied
    Originally posted by moose97 View Post

The only legitimate comparison is NCHC.tv, which is $117. They do offer a single school only pass which saves you a whopping $9 ($108). You do realize that subscribing to Flo also gets you all the GLIAC sports for NMU as well, right? I mean, I get not caring about other college hockey games, but I routinely switch to other games at intermission, or have watched several college baseball games on Flo. I watched the ASU/Alaska Donnybrook live solely because I subscribe to Flo. If it's too expensive for you, don't subscribe. For what is offered, it's incredibly reasonable.

Edit - I will add, I'm not forgiving all of Flo's warts. There's definitely things I wish they'd improve, most notably, I have NMU saved as a favorite, yet I always have to search for their games. That said, probably 90% of the problems aren't Flo's fault. They are with the original broadcast. And there's nothing any streaming service can do when given a substandard product, like what Ferris has been putting out most of the last two years up til a few weeks ago.
    I mean, I pay for it. Doesn't mean I have to be satisfied with the service. I am happy that I'm able to watch NMU from my home in St. Louis. Even the closest away games are about an 8 hour drive (Ferris and Bowling Green). I understand the biggest reason for the cost is they're covering niche sports and niche schools. The pool of customers is going to be a lot smaller than any other streamer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X