Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCHA v2.9.1 - BGSU BSU FSU LSSU MSU MTU NMU UST & Special Guests - The Augie Vikings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMUFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by devildog View Post
    As a Wildcat grad and fan, I am very concerned with the current situation at NMU. I thought our play this year was uninspired and lacked any kind of urgency. That is either on the coach or the coach needs different players. So, maybe Grant is encouraging these boys to hit the road or he has lost the team and has a major problem on his hands. If he has lost the team and half the team is bolting, then he needs to go.

As far as the CCHA and NMU becoming a feeder system to the big schools, I have no interest in that at all. The one thing I loved about college hockey was the fact that small schools had a chance to win. With the consolidation of the big school conferences, and shoving the small schools to the side, it has removed that which drew me to being a college hockey fan.
    All of this.

Leave a comment:

• WayUpNorth22
    replied
    If CCHA coaches are smart, they can use the portal as a two way street. “Oh, you don’t think you’re getting enough playing time at ND? You can come play for me. “You’re not getting PP time at BU, you can come play on ours”. Smaller schools need to use the portal against the big schools and continue to recruit the older kids. Tech played BC to a 2-1 hockey game for 50 minutes of that game. It was a lot closer than that 6-1 score would indicate.

Leave a comment:

• Bale
    replied
    Originally posted by devildog View Post

As far as the CCHA and NMU becoming a feeder system to the big schools, I have no interest in that at all. The one thing I loved about college hockey was the fact that small schools had a chance to win. With the consolidation of the big school conferences, and shoving the small schools to the side, it has removed that which drew me to being a college hockey fan.
    I think this is the thing everyone is missing and it's all through college sports, not just hockey. At some point fans of the smaller programs will just go away. Then the smaller programs will go away. The fans won't become fans of others, they will just leave. It's more noticeable in hockey because there aren't many teams AND the unique nature of d2 and d3 schools competing against d1 schools.

I still have hope though. Smaller schools can offer a charm the big schools just can't. They can provide a culture that big schools cant. Good ADs will be able to work in the system to find good coaches. I also want to wait until after the COVID exception works through. We are seeing inflated numbers right now. Let's see what happens in 2-3 years and then make judgements. I'm alaed by what I'm seeing, I'm just not sure it's the end of the sport as we know it. Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Leave a comment:

• devildog
    replied
    As a Wildcat grad and fan, I am very concerned with the current situation at NMU. I thought our play this year was uninspired and lacked any kind of urgency. That is either on the coach or the coach needs different players. So, maybe Grant is encouraging these boys to hit the road or he has lost the team and has a major problem on his hands. If he has lost the team and half the team is bolting, then he needs to go.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post

Depends on the coach. Very uncommon.
    In NMU's case, what does this say about Potulny's future? I know he has 2 years left on his deal, but I have this intuition that Comley wants to install one of his guys in that job before he leaves as AD. The clock would be ticking on that scenario if it's going to happen, but with the end of the Wildcat season a while ago now it's less and less likely that it happens this off-season.

Leave a comment:

• Puckstopper467
    replied
    Watching the playoffs one thing really stands out is the how the Top schools will just keep reloading with top CCHA players via the portal. Teams like Ferris, BG, LSSU, and NMU better wake up as they are a loooooong way from even discussing a CCHA Bid. The CCHA will only get the auto bid moving forward and Mankato, Tech, BSU, and coming up St Thomas are going to challenge for that bid.

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

You are allowed to exit the portal and return to your original team. I think most players do just that.
    Depends on the coach. Very uncommon.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Random thoughts/questions. 1. What happens to a kid who goes in the portal and doesn't get any interest from the rich schools? Obviously he's not going back to the school he decided to leave, so is he just out? I'm thinking about all these NMU players who are bailing out. plus others of course.
    Second, congrats to BG on the new coach, and does this mean any additional improvement to the facilities?
    You are allowed to exit the portal and return to your original team. I think most players do just that.

Leave a comment:

• TalonsUpPuckDown
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Random thoughts/questions. 1. What happens to a kid who goes in the portal and doesn't get any interest from the rich schools? Obviously he's not going back to the school he decided to leave, so is he just out? I'm thinking about all these NMU players who are bailing out. plus others of course.
    Second, congrats to BG on the new coach, and does this mean any additional improvement to the facilities?
    tl;dr: Yep!

Construction started mid-season on the new front entrance. Closing in the south end with the suites has started (they've knocked a hole in the outside wall for the new elevator shaft). They haven't started on the away locker rooms yet. All told it's almost $6m in upgrades.

The project includes making necessary upgrades to improve the existing building systems, life safety, accessibility, and daily function, including upgrades to the locker rooms and restroom renovations. It also includes the creation of a new mezzanine on the south end of the main rink to include private suites, concessions, a club room, additional spectator seating, and the addition of a 1,000 square-foot lobby at the west main entrance. The newly renovated main entrance will highlight achievements, creating opportunities for trophy displays and encourage future growth. The project budget will be $5.75M.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bale
    replied
    For one day, I'm going to annoyingly be chanting "let's go tech. [Smack desk] Let's go tech [smack desk] Let's go tech [smack desk]...." in my office

Over and over and over and over.
    Last edited by Bale; 03-29-2024, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by AgentClass View Post

Yeah as a Mavs fan the production quality is good enough, but I would love if they just added the radio call. TV PxP is awful and it's amazing that he's been doing it for 24 years.
    Dave Brown is now available. Can they afford him?

Leave a comment:

• Iwearpurple
    replied
    Originally posted by AgentClass View Post

Yeah as a Mavs fan the production quality is good enough, but I would love if they just added the radio call. TV PxP is awful and it's amazing that he's been doing it for 24 years.
    And Mike Sullivan is one of the best play by play announcers in college hockey.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied
    Bemidji State has lost forward Lleyton Roed, who signed a three year entry level contract with the Seattle Kraken.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X