Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCHA v2.9.1 - BGSU BSU FSU LSSU MSU MTU NMU UST & Special Guests - The Augie Vikings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was released a few days -- video rendering of Augie's new hockey arena:

Midco Arena Virtual Tour - YouTube

Comment

• In case you are wondering why we have best two out of three in the first round it could be because back in the day and I do mean back, our best team lost in the first round( the old WCHA) and never made it to the tournament. MTU had been undefeated at home and had 1 or maybe two losses on the road all year. They were by far the best team in the WCHA. The playoffs were in Madison and Tech lost to a bad UND team by one goal. Tech scored the tieing goal but there was no video and the puck went in and out so fast the ref didn't see it. Gary Crosby was so mad he shoved the ref.
      Anyway, after that the WCHA went away from single elimination tournaments in the first round. I think this was 70-71 or thereabouts.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        In case you are wondering why we have best two out of three in the first round it could be because back in the day and I do mean back, our best team lost in the first round( the old WCHA) and never made it to the tournament. MTU had been undefeated at home and had 1 or maybe two losses on the road all year. They were by far the best team in the WCHA. The playoffs were in Madison and Tech lost to a bad UND team by one goal. Tech scored the tieing goal but there was no video and the puck went in and out so fast the ref didn't see it. Gary Crosby was so mad he shoved the ref.
        Anyway, after that the WCHA went away from single elimination tournaments in the first round. I think this was 70-71 or thereabouts.
        Funny how Tech is mentioned as a reason rules get changed.

Comment

• Here's a shoutout to Jacob Bengtsson. IMHO the unsung hero award should go to him. He's played great all year and without him LSSU would have been much worse. He should have been All conference if you ask me.

Comment

• Big BG fan and a huge fan of the CCHA. Hearing of any player movement out there? I have really been on this site complaining about the portal/COVID 5th year as obviously I am no fan. Always good spirited debate never anything personal. The portal discussion will go 50/50 on how people see it. BG will need to replace some top 5th year senior players as holes are at the top. Mankato does a great job recruiting and do not need the portal to compete. BSU does a really good job bringing in players that contribute. NMU used the portal last season and did have some good recruits, however now losing a top freshman to the portal. Ferris and St Thomas will be interesting as they will return most of their teams. Unfortunately we lost to Ferris and I was surprised how they looked a lot different with more skill players and WOW what a goalie. I truly love the job Rico is already doing at St Thomas. As I have said in other posts the concern for the CCHA is losing top players to the portal. Will be interesting what Tech does, losing some core seniors

Comment

• According to the USCHO podcast there are 25 or so goaltenders entering the portal. So far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
                Mankato does a great job recruiting and do not need the portal to compete.
                Hastings and staff will certainly look at the portal and improve the team if possible. Silye, Morton, and Groll are transfers, as was Benton Maass last year. Mathais Israelsson transferred from NMU and shared duties with McKay early in McKay's freshman year. The year before, Connor LaCouvee transferred in from BU and was the #1 goalie. So the portal transfers who do come in end up being major contributors.

They've also lost some to the transfer portal- but players who didn't get a lot of ice time or didn't fit the program.

I'd be more surprised than not if they didn't bring in at least one D-man from the portal- especially if they lose Livingstone and/or Hirose to a pro contract.
                Last edited by njmav1; 03-28-2023, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Big BG fan and a huge fan of the CCHA. Hearing of any player movement out there? I have really been on this site complaining about the portal/COVID 5th year as obviously I am no fan. Always good spirited debate never anything personal. The portal discussion will go 50/50 on how people see it. BG will need to replace some top 5th year senior players as holes are at the top. Mankato does a great job recruiting and do not need the portal to compete. BSU does a really good job bringing in players that contribute. NMU used the portal last season and did have some good recruits, however now losing a top freshman to the portal. Ferris and St Thomas will be interesting as they will return most of their teams. Unfortunately we lost to Ferris and I was surprised how they looked a lot different with more skill players and WOW what a goalie. I truly love the job Rico is already doing at St Thomas. As I have said in other posts the concern for the CCHA is losing top players to the portal. Will be interesting what Tech does, losing some core seniors
                  IMO, outside of Blake (assuming he leaves) I think Tech can recover from player losses. I liked the guys and they played hard, but this was slated as a rebuilding year. There were a lot of mental mistakes and terrible turnovers that Blake bailed us out on. We made it to where we got to because of Blake and a collective effort. At the end, I think the guys were burnt out as the pressure got to them.

Sounds like Joe likes the incoming recruits.

Joe has been very selective in the portal. Having said that, I suspect he will target a top 4 D man, as our D is going to young next year. Personally I hope he gets a 10+ goal scorer or two. Given Joe's playing style and defense first stance, I doubt we are on any scorer's list.

Comment

• great point, There are a few CCHA teams that are a bad mix for offense first players

Comment

• So with a brand new team ready to enter and the established superpower looking much different for next season, the CCHA is looking very interesting for 23-24.

Comment

• very true, with the MSU situation may have to look at CCHA teams with the most returning players as stronger teams. NMU could be a team even with the loss of Larson

Comment

• Last nights Iowa Heartlanders vs. Toledo Walleye game was a veritable who's who of CCHA studs. Check out these rosters:

Code:
                          Iowa
                          Tommy Parrottino   Tech
                          Justin Michaelian  Ferris
                          Alec Broetzman     Tech
                          Yuki Miura         Lakers
                          Louis Boudon       Lakers
                          Justin Wells       BG
                          C.J. Motte         Ferris

Toledo
                          Sam Craggs         BG
                          Brandon Hawkins    BG
                          Joe Nardi          Northern
                          Jake Willets       Lakers/Ferris
                          Parrottino had an incredible single effort goal. Nardi, Boudon and Miura saw a lot of ice time.

Comment

• That is good to see the ECHL has now become a skill league and a major feeder to the AHL. Definitely a grow path for NCAA players

Comment

• I complain so much on this site about the portal, and so many come back at me in support of the portal. However look at what is happening with Mankato right now, lose top players to pros, coach leaves and now remaining key players jump into the portal. What cannot play with better players to make you better? Recruits will now follow.

Comment

I complain so much on this site about the portal, and so many come back at me in support of the portal. However look at what is happening with Mankato right now, lose top players to pros, coach leaves and now remaining key players jump into the portal. What cannot play with better players to make you better? Recruits will now follow.
                                Not only are all the top players leaving, either to pro contacts or the portal, but I'd imagine that recruits who were scheduled to arrive this fall will be gone as well. What's left is a smoking rubble.

For the first time in a decade, I'm not looking forward to next season. I can see us back to attendance of 1500 a game like it was before Hastings.
                                Last edited by MavsFan; 04-04-2023, 09:11 PM.
                                My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Working...
                                X