Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCHA v2.9.1 - BGSU BSU FSU LSSU MSU MTU NMU UST & Special Guests - The Augie Vikings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
    A couple has donated $75 million to St. Thomas to build an on-campus hockey and basketball arena.

https://www.twincities.com/2023/01/1...arena-facility
    Good for the conference overall. I think a lot of Minnesotans knew/feared when St. Thomas came into the conference that they had the location and resources to quickly become very competitive.

Comment

UST Hockey Announcement with rink render
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Tech might have a chance at BU which would be the only HE game so far this year I think. It would be real big to beat a HE team.
        Beat ASU / BU and then come home and give away three points in the conference standings to StT. Uuuuugh!

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Beat ASU / BU and then come home and give away three points in the conference standings to StT. Uuuuugh!
          Don't get me started...

We were playing without Arvid. Not that he scores, but they say he gets after players who aren't playing hard.

Comment

Seems some NCHC teams aren't happy with the direction the league is headed (gee, where have I heard that before...)

https://letsgodu.com/2023/01/18/miam...te-membership/
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Seems some NCHC teams aren't happy with the direction the league is headed (gee, where have I heard that before...)

https://letsgodu.com/2023/01/18/miam...te-membership/
              What surprised me was talk of MAC and/or Summit League sponsored hockey. I get why that would make sense from an cost/efficiency/infrastructure standpoint.

The Summit makes the most sense as they have 4 schools (including St Thomas) with D1 hockey, 5 if Summit League affiliate Lindenwood is counted. It wouldn't be impossible to add CC, Augustana, and/or both NCHC MN schools to make it 6-9 team very viable league.

The MAC on the other hand, would either have to find at least 3 schools to elevate/create a D1 hockey program or add affiliates. There are lot of headwinds/challenges to a mostly MAC school lead conference. One way it could work, The Summit League forms hockey with St Thomas joining. The CCHA (now minus St Thomas) picks up Western and Miami. The MAC schools propose dissolving the CCHA and forming a new MAC hockey league with the addition of the remaining CCHA members as affiliates.
              Last edited by Lost_Husky; 01-19-2023, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

What surprised me was talk of MAC and/or Summit League sponsored hockey. I get why that would make sense from an cost/efficiency/infrastructure standpoint.

The Summit makes the most sense as they have 4 schools (including St Thomas) with D1 hockey, 5 if Summit League affiliate Lindenwood is counted. It wouldn't be impossible to add CC, Augustana, and/or both NCHC MN schools to make it 6-9 team very viable league.

The MAC on the other hand, would either have to find at least 3 schools to elevate/create a D1 hockey program or add affiliates. There are lot of headwinds/challenges to a mostly MAC school lead conference. One way it could work, The Summit League forms hockey with St Thomas joining. The CCHA (now minus St Thomas) picks up Western and Miami. The MAC schools propose dissolving the CCHA and forming a new MAC hockey league with the addition of the remaining CCHA members as affiliates.
                I was thinking that they could have some kind of affiliation, where the Summit and MAC provide the administrative functions the NCHC/CCHA don't have, but maintain autonomy in hockey matters. Sort of like the Missouri Valley Conference and Missouri Valley Football Conference.

I don't know if there has to be a name change, obviously the NCHC and CCHA are better hockey brands. Summit Hockey League? Mid-American Hockey Conference? MAC Hockey?

Comment

Let's say you are UND. Are you going to do anything if the Summitt league suddenly announces hockey. I think not. it's 1 mil to leave the NCHC. nobody is going to pony up. Miami would be mid pack most likely in the CCHA. I think it would be good for the league if they came in and I think it's possible the NCHC allows them out for free if ASU is added. I don't see either league picking up Lindenwood. I am not a fan of Augie but it's not up to me obviously.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

The "MAC" and "Hockey" should never be combined into the same statement. You'll be playing Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 8:45AM with streaming provided by ESPN9, which will not be included in any other ESPN subscription plan. They may put one game a week on the OCHO, but that's only if they need filler between games in Granny's Upstate Shuffleboard League.

Comment

Tonight I tried to watch a miserable excuse for a broadcast out of FSU. And miserable is being kind!. It was out of focus more than 50% of the time all weekend. The brightness was so screwed up that often you lost the Puck, especially in shots or in front. The broadcasters were ok, but the screen would go black repeatedly for about a second all weekend long. And Tech's second goal tonight was not on screen because they were showing a replay? My second grader could direct better than that.
                      I'm totally disgusted with the coverage. And the camera work was horrible! often showing some ice but no players. Even NMU is better. and Huntsville at it's worst was better.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Tonight I tried to watch a miserable excuse for a broadcast out of FSU. And miserable is being kind!. It was out of focus more than 50% of the time all weekend. The brightness was so screwed up that often you lost the Puck, especially in shots or in front. The broadcasters were ok, but the screen would go black repeatedly for about a second all weekend long. And Tech's second goal tonight was not on screen because they were showing a replay? My second grader could direct better than that.
                        I'm totally disgusted with the coverage. And the camera work was horrible! often showing some ice but no players. Even NMU is better. and Huntsville at it's worst was better.
                        I’m not making any excuses, but it turns out that at the start of every semester a new crew of students takes over. So, as soon as they figure it out and produce a decent product, it’s time for someone new to start over.

Harrison Watt covered this on last nights broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                          I’m not making any excuses, but it turns out that at the start of every semester a new crew of students takes over. So, as soon as they figure it out and produce a decent product, it’s time for someone new to start over.

Harrison Watt covered this on last nights broadcast.
                          That's great, But Harrison literally started tonight's broadcast bragging about how they have rewired the entire rink & added cameras. It's still terrible. They still can't sync the clock or track shots on the scorebug. The CCHA started off saying all schools had a commitment to improving broadcast standards. Ferris has gone backwards. Forget about the students. Spend the money. It's an absolute embarrassment.
                          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                          ECAC:
                          HEA: UMass
                          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

While I 1000% agree with your Ferris complaint, a Tech fan degrading NMU's broadcast is hilarious. Go tell your people switching cameras from one side of the rink to the other in the middle of game play is simply *not* done anywhere else, nor should it be. And the white balance is still not right from the SDC.
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                              The "MAC" and "Hockey" should never be combined into the same statement. You'll be playing Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 8:45AM with streaming provided by ESPN9, which will not be included in any other ESPN subscription plan. They may put one game a week on the OCHO, but that's only if they need filler between games in Granny's Upstate Shuffleboard League.
                              Oddly enough, this sounds exactly like BigTen hockey coverage.
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                                Normally I would agree, but this is college hockey we are talking about. Only 1 D1 conference has hockey, just barely, and they have virtually unlimited funds. The next D1 options would be the Summit and MAC with more than 2 teams that support D1 hockey. I'm not saying I like it or wish it was that way, but that is reality.

It is easy to see that the NCHC could morph into Summit League hockey. They already have 3 members in the NCHC. When St. Thomas get fully up and running, they could bolt to the NCHC. Lindenwood is already affiliated with the Summit League. I'm not saying that is/will happen, but they are at 4, 5 if you count affiliated schools with D1 hockey. Personal opinion, the NCHC is successful and seems to work well for everyone except Miami.

Comment

Working...
                                X