Union College: 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union College: 2022-2023

This thread is the Union College "Dutchmen" hockey thread for 2022-2023. We will have a new Coach. We have graduated our senior defensemen, and transfers have hurt our experience in scoring. In terms of top returning players, the cupboard is bare. We have an excellent goalie, but he will need body armor. It is unclear what other overall talent we have this year. Given all the transfers, the team's success may be a big challenge for the new coaching staff. Here is hoping we can fill the stands again and be respectable. Going to be some lean years.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

The Dutchmen are playing RIT for the NCAA D-III Lacrosse National Championship Sunday at 1:00 pm in Hartford, Connecticut. It looks like the Liberty League this year is running away, the best D-III Lacrosse league in the country. Back in the 1960's Union Played Syracuse and other D-I lacrosse teams, and in 1966 defeated Syracuse 12-2. However, our overall record against Syracuse was only 4 - 25.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

The Savannah Ghost Pirates have announced an NHL/AHL affiliation with the Vegas Golden Knights and their American Hockey League affiliate, the Henderson Silver Knights when they make their ECHL debut in October 2022. Rick Bennett has been named the first Head Coach for the Ghost Pirates.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Dutchmen lost to RIT 12-10 in the NCAA DIII Lacrosse National Championship. At one time the Dutchmen lead 7-2. The game has certainly changed over the years. There was a lot more physicality 40 years ago but I guess that was true in most college sports. The big winner this year was the Liberty league with many outstanding teams and perhaps the most competitive league in D-III college lacrosse. RPI, Hobart, St. Lawrence, RIT, and Union all had outstanding teams.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Expectations cannot be any lower for the Dutchmen for next year. I wish I knew what our non-conference looked like. Whoops, just posted. UMASS (2). UCONN (2) RIT (2), NU (1). Definitely staying close to home. We could be embarrassed if we square off against some top teams. Thank God we have Connor Murphy in goal.
          Last edited by Dutchman; 06-05-2022, 04:12 PM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Time to remember our glory days and what once was but will not likely be again for some time. I am really glad to have followed the team so intently in 2012 and 2013.

2014 Article: "The Unstoppable Rise Of Union College Hockey - Just how, exactly, did a tiny Division III school become an NCAA powerhouse on ice?"

https://the-cauldron.com/the-unstopp...y-fbb78652f0ca
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Heading down memory lane
              NCAA Hockey Selection Show 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPrnxlxIhU
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Union College vs. Boston College - 2014 NCAA Division I Hockey Semifinals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpPlvh2PBso
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Looks like 11 non-conference for 2022
                  4 Atlantic Conference
                  RIT(2)
                  Bently(1)
                  Army(1)

7 Hockey East
                  UCONN (2)
                  UMASS (2)
                  UNH (2)
                  Northeastern (1)
                  Last edited by Dutchman; 06-29-2022, 04:10 PM.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Union College Hockey: Banner Night (Oct. 10, 2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThGs9aMRWIY
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      4 Atlantic Conference
                      RIT(2)
                      Bently(1)
                      Army(1)

7 Hockey East
                      UCONN (2)
                      UMASS (2)
                      UNH (2)
                      Northeastern (1)
                      Not a whole lot of distant traveling here. Does not look like any need for airfare.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Not a whole lot of distant traveling here. Does not look like any need for airfare.
                        Gotta save money for that new rink ??....
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

4 Atlantic Conference
                          RIT(2)
                          Bently(1)
                          Army(1)

7 Hockey East
                          UCONN (2)
                          UMASS (2)
                          UNH (2)
                          Northeastern (1)
                          The 12th is, of course, the Mayor's Trophy game.

Comment

While Union has not posted a roster for 2022-2023, College Hockey News has https://www.collegehockeynews.com/re...oster/Union/54 Looks like seven freshmen? I cannot make heads or tails of what I see. We lost defensemen (a lot), retained a very good goalie and lost most of our offense, which was not that good, to begin with. I am really glad that I dropped everything in 2013-2014 to follow the team as I figured they would never be back that way again. Hoping our new coach can recruit.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

While Union has not posted a roster for 2022-2023, College Hockey News has https://www.collegehockeynews.com/re...oster/Union/54 Looks like seven freshmen? I cannot make heads or tails of what I see. We lost defensemen (a lot), retained a very good goalie and lost most of our offense, which was not that good, to begin with. I am really glad that I dropped everything in 2013-2014 to follow the team as I figured they would never be back that way again. Hoping our new coach can recruit.
                              Heisenberg has one of the best websites for recruits, though none are perfect https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...5rro/htmlview#

Hauge & company have been working hard and there is a huge recruiting class coming in. Looks like 5-6 D-men, 6 forwards, and at least one goalie. Included are four transfers, the bigger names being Chris Theodore a 5th year who was a leading scorer for AIC & was Atlantic POTY last season, and Josh Nixon a forward who had 20 points for Lake State last season as a freshman. There is also a d-man from Penn State & a big forward from Cornell. The freshman recruits aren’t exactly blue chippers, but a few look promising.

Theodore and Nixon should help replace the loss of Seger & Graf, and if the returning forwards improve the offense could actually be better than last season. Goaltending should be good with Murphy and hopefully a true backup can be found that can share the workload or step-in if Murphy gets hurt. The weak link in the chain will likely be on the blueline where there won’t be anyone with more than one-year’s experience. Overall I would expect a season pretty similar to last year with 10-15 wins and anywhere from 6th-10th in the league. The main things that will help is having the four games with AHC teams and the fact that the bottom 6-7 teams in ECAC (including Union) will once again uniformally suck. I’m hoping that whatever change in coaching style happens reinvigorates some of the returning players and the team can gel quickly and maybe surprise a bit. However my brain is saying that it is likely to be a long season and it will take a couple years for Hauge to build the kind of team that he wants.

Last edited by ADK11; 08-03-2022, 09:49 PM.
                              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Working...
                              X