No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 22-23 Empty Dreams & Empty Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought I should do a traditional update now that the first half is completed. This weekend got swept by Minnesota (L 1-7 Fri, L 4-6 Sat).

**Comparisons below are from early Nov after MSU series.**

Record: 7-11-0 (1-9-0-0 3 pts, 7th in Big7 (n/c))
    USCHO Poll: NR; (NR)
    USA Today Poll: NR; (NR)
    PWR: 33 of 62; (+12)
    RPI: 33 of 62; (+13)
    KRACH: 34 of 62; (-3)
    Scoring: 2.50 GPG (+0.9); (45th of 62) (+14)
    Defense: 3.39 GAPG (-0.19); (T49th of 62) (-5)
    Save %: .889 (-.020); 48th of 62 (-28)
    Power Play Rate: 16.67% (13 of 78) (+5.86%); T45th of 62 (+8)
    Penalty Kill Rate: 78.67% (59 of 75) (+4.31%); 39th of 62 (+13)
    Penalty Min per Game: 12.17 (+.47); 16th of 62 (1st is worst) (-7)
    Penalty Min: 219 (+102); 14th of 62 (1st is worst) (-5)
    Shorthanded Goals Scored; 3 (+2); T9th of 62 (+7)
    Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 2 (+1); T14th of 62 (1st is worst) (-5)
    Team Faceoff: 54.5% (+1.4%) 5th of 62 (+9)

Next games 12/28 vs Lake Superior State and 12/29 vs TBD at Kwik Trip Holiday Faceoff.

Analysis - it is FUGLY with some ups and downs, but basically in the bottom half of all NCAA teams in every statistical category that matters (except Faceoff% (thanks Lindy) and Shorthanded Goals Scored. Finish of last in the Big7 seems all buy certain unless they suddenly start winning and Notre Dame / maybe Michigan collapses.

PS: Last 5 games against Minnesota 0-5, goals scored UW 6, Goofers 30 - 1.2 GPG, 6.0 GAA. Oof is that awful.

PSS: Since Motzko took over Minnesota ('18-'19 thru this weekend): 19 games, 6-12-1 (.333), goals scored UW 53, Goofers 80 - 2.79 GPG, 4.21 GAA (-1.42 GPG).
    (even the Cole Caufield - Hobey year 20-21 was only 3-2-0 versus Minnesota (lost 6-4 in big7 finals)
    Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-12-2022, 11:26 AM.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by Punudski View Post
      I checked to see who would be breaking the news that TG is gone, but alas, we are all still left waiting and hoping. I have heard from many that he is a great guy, but it must be obvious to everyone by now that he unfortunately cannot coach. I do not know the advantages/disadvantages of moving on during/after the season but my goodness, it’s over, right? RIGHT?! Please?!
      Tony Granato IS a great guy and will always be Badger royalty. But he’s not succeeding and should be replaced.

the longer McIntosh waits the more we see he doesn’t give a good damn about hockey whatsoever. It’s reaching a point where I wonder if he wants the team to remain an after thought.

Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• So, this is what rock bottom feels like. Why are we getting out the pickaxes and shovels?

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
          So, this is what rock bottom feels like. Why are we getting out the pickaxes and shovels?
          This sure feels allot like 2016 and the end of the Eaves era. Both should have been fired the year before, but were kept on and made to get new assistant(s). They struggled that last year and then were / will be let go after the season. I really like Granato and Oseicki, and they will always be Wisconsin legends, but it is past time to move on.

Next question is who is the list of candidates? My #1, is no UW ties. Like 7 years ago, my first call would be to Mike Hastings. Take a bag of money and see if he is interested in trying to turn the ship around here. After that I would pick an up an comer from the USHL, young D1 head coach, or even from D3 if it was the right person (like Coghlin). Managing todays young men, NIL, the transfer portal and the potential of added coaches (ie full time goalie coach) make this a really difficult transition, but one that could set UW up for a long time if they find the right staff. One thing that is different, is there is more team talent than there was in 2016, so a quick turnaround could happen.

I don't see a scenario they let go of Granato now, specifically due to the 3 coach limit they have for hockey. It will be when the season is over. And I believe it will happen as Tony's buyout goes up if they keep him on another year.

Long winded post to say I agree with you! Good hearing from you Almington.

gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• I'm VERY curious to see how attendance is at the Kwik Trip Peewee tourney in a couple of weeks. Single game tix in good seats are $40 -$55 EACH. The 200 upper level isn't even open, so they can't be expecting much. I hope the end of 2022 brings us bigger and better things; like a new coaching staff.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              I'm VERY curious to see how attendance is at the Kwik Trip Peewee tourney in a couple of weeks. Single game tix in good seats are $40 -$55 EACH. The 200 upper level isn't even open, so they can't be expecting much. I hope the end of 2022 brings us bigger and better things; like a new coaching staff.
              I paid full price to get good seats. It was fun last year and will be there this year.

Comment

• Unfortunately I can't a scenario where they go after Hastings, who is 56, but I also could be proven wrong. Esp now with the football team going with youth. I have a feeling Mac prefers stability and doesnt want to have to hire another coach in 5yrs...but that could be said about every AD in college.

I don't know what the right answer is for a coach, but scheme and player development are my top priorities when lookong at the team. Very few of the guys that pushed to 4yrs in the program under Granato have been production leaders.

Youngest with raw talent doesnt get the job done.

Comment

• The women’s hockey team should have a tournament at Fiserv. Push the men out. If promoted right the attendance would destroy what the men will get in a couple weeks.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• …unfortunately I see nothing from Chris McIntosh that says he cares enough to make a move to improve the Men’s hockey team. Has even ever mentioned them in the last 2 years?

my guess is he fired Granato and keeps Oseicki.

how’s that for flipping off the 400 fans left in the fan base ?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      …unfortunately I see nothing from Chris McIntosh that says he cares enough to make a move to improve the Men’s hockey team. Has even ever mentioned them in the last 2 years?

I think he will make a change, and I don't believe he will hire Oz. I could see him trying to hire Rohlik. But at this point, I have no idea. I thought G2O was going to be bring us back, and that was completely wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

I think he will make a change, and I don't believe he will hire Oz. I could see him trying to hire Rohlik. But at this point, I have no idea. I thought G2O was going to be bring us back, and that was completely wrong.
                        I thought the same thing. That the dream team would turn the ship around… I had no idea Oseicki forgot how to coach D, Tony can’t coach and Don was completely disinterested in coaching NCAA hockey.

now,..7 more years of puppies crapping the carpet.

Comment

• Mac needs to be interested in firing King, less so about a coach first. But I also dont see a scenario where they dont promote from within to fill the Associate AD...who oversees mens and womens hockey in addition to volleyball.

There wont be a shortage of suitors and I would be curious to see if they would even ask Johnson. That would be the only temp hire Id consider good for the program, as I think he would immediately stabalize the ship and be able to hand the keys off in 3-5 yrs.

Remember, Johnson turned down Penn State to coach the UW womens team. And Ive always thought that was Pat Richters one big mistake, hiring Eaves over Johnson.

But this is the room we are in now.

Comment

• I'm for leaving Mark Johnson right where he is. No sense screwing up another force that has been Badger Women's' hockey. Find some new blood (as with football) that can inject some new ideas that will invigorate the decaying men's program. Go outside the alumni tree.

Comment

• Johnson is 65. Yes he could do the job and I feel confident that Koch can be the next women's head coach and maintain the juggernaut, but it doesn't make sense for Johnson to lay a foundation with the players and recruits knowing he's got one foot out the door already.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                …unfortunately I see nothing from Chris McIntosh that says he cares enough to make a move to improve the Men’s hockey team. Has even ever mentioned them in the last 2 years?

I feel like you’re seething over something that isn’t there. They literally re-negotiated his contract last offseason so Granato has two options: 1) get better and make the tournament 2) get fired.

You might ask, why not fire Granato mid season like they did to Chryst? Probably because 1) football has an obnoxious amount of coaches 2) Leonard had been sniffing the head coach job for at least a year or two 3) hockey doesn’t have that person good enough to take over for the rest of the season 4) hockey is only allowed a minimal number of coaches.

Comment

Working...
                                X