Wisconsin Hockey 22-23 Empty Dreams & Empty Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
    I usually don't contradict folks but the athletic department was in shambles and operating at an awful loss every year before Richter and Alvarez were hired. While the hockey and basketball teams carried the athletic dept, it wasnt enough. Remember there was very little in terms of sponsorships back then compared to today.

My first Badgers football game as a tyke was Don Morton's last game...a 31-3 loss and 23,000 in attendence. The ath dept operated at an awful loss each year and was basically cut off by the university.

That acrimonious relationship btwn the univ and the dept led to a source of pride when they turned it around but a double edged sword in terms of how much the univ was willing to help ath dept out over the years. Hence why the football team has had such a tough time...the ath dept ate their seed corn and spent it all on non rev sports and not facilities for players. Which is all that matters for football teams, and to which I would say sucks but the fact of the matter is....football revenue carries every athletic dept.
    So your saying athletic department and university hated each other before? And now they love each other bc of the revenue? Makes sense if that's what your saying.

Football is revamped.
    Volleyball is best in the nation
    Basketball is boring but okay ish.. they go to the tournament.
    Womens hockey is best in the nation overall.
    Cross country is best in the nation I think.
    Mens Hockey sucks. Sucks.

Comment

• Once MI got cranked up, UW could not keep up, but maybe MIs loose d will keep uw in the game. I think the contact to the head call was a bad call.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• I’m shocked. For stretches Michigan was worlds better than Wisconsin. EDIT: based on Ian Perrin describing Michigan as great skaters and Wisconsin D just watching.

we’ll see if they can finish the sweep.
        Last edited by solovsfett; 12-02-2022, 11:17 PM.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          I’m shocked. For stretches Michigan was worlds better than Wisconsin. EDIT: based on Ian Perrin describing Michigan as great skaters and Wisconsin D just watching.

we’ll see if they can finish the sweep.
          Looks like I picked a terrible day to forget they were playing.

I wonder if we are just starting to see Brandt’s effect in coaching. Usually you start seeing a new coach’s impact a little ways into the season. If I remember correctly, it took the gophers till the second half of Motzko’s first year to really start playing well.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
            I wonder if we are just starting to see Brandt’s effect in coaching. Usually you start seeing a new coach’s impact a little ways into the season. If I remember correctly, it took the gophers till the second half of Motzko’s first year to really start playing well.
            Good point. It isn't like they have a 6 week training camp to get the lads dialed in systematically.

Solo is right, UM did have some dominant stretches and I think they missed the net on a lot of prime wrist shot chances which masked some N to D zone transition issues.

UW got a couple puck luck seeing eye goals from the blueline. You do need those every once and awhile, just not all in one game. The ENG was an own goal. Moe would like to have the one back from the endline. Only scoring 1 ppg was a bummer, but now allowing UM any ppg's was a big plus. UM is always generous in allowing odd man rushes, too bad UW only converted on 1 of those. Tonight's game will be fascinating. Was last night just UM being off a bit and UW being a bit lucky?

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post

Looks like I picked a terrible day to forget they were playing.

I would love it if this is true re: Brandt. But man,…whomever is in charge of the defense needs to get their **** together. Tell the kids to skate, anymore standing around and the stands will be calling for the offenders to be on street clothes watching if all they want to do is watch.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Does anyone know what happened to Ty Smilanic? My sons favorite player when he was at QPac….I see he’s not even in the lineup anymore? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

I would love it if this is true re: Brandt. But man,…whomever is in charge of the defense needs to get their **** together. Tell the kids to skate, anymore standing around and the stands will be calling for the offenders to be on street clothes watching if all they want to do is watch.
                  The power play needs a lot of work as well. 0/6 today and gave up a shorthanded game winning goal on a freshman mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Good point. It isn't like they have a 6 week training camp to get the lads dialed in systematically.

Solo is right, UM did have some dominant stretches and I think they missed the net on a lot of prime wrist shot chances which masked some N to D zone transition issues.

UW got a couple puck luck seeing eye goals from the blueline. You do need those every once and awhile, just not all in one game. The ENG was an own goal. Moe would like to have the one back from the endline. Only scoring 1 ppg was a bummer, but now allowing UM any ppg's was a big plus. UM is always generous in allowing odd man rushes, too bad UW only converted on 1 of those. Tonight's game will be fascinating. Was last night just UM being off a bit and UW being a bit lucky?
                    Michigan looked beatable based on their defense. Badgers just need to execute better and preferably not give up a shorthanded goal. They had 1-0 and 2-1 leads today. If they can’t score more, then the defense needs to go full Jacques Lemaire.

Comment

• Friday, I thought Wisconsin played well in the 2nd and 3rd, probably as good as I have seen them in a long time. Still too much puck watching and not covering on D, but they played well ovrerall. I didn't see Saturday as I was at my son's choir concert in Iowa, but to lose on a shorty is tough.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                        Friday, I thought Wisconsin played well in the 2nd and 3rd, probably as good as I have seen them in a long time. Still too much puck watching and not covering on D, but they played well ovrerall. I didn't see Saturday as I was at my son's choir concert in Iowa, but to lose on a shorty is tough.
                        UW was victimized by bad transition D into their own zone all weekend. UM comes in on the rush, UW has guys back and in decent position, but they fail to close on the puck carrier, clog passing lanes and tie up attacking support players. Once UM gained O zone control on a forecheck, I think UW played decent D zone D.

PP was not good all weekend, 1 ppg Friday and Saturday the PP generated little, especially when they needed it in the 3rd. Sad.

After seeing UM destroy MSU, I am not hopeful for the upcoming weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

UW was victimized by bad transition D into their own zone all weekend. UM comes in on the rush, UW has guys back and in decent position, but they fail to close on the puck carrier, clog passing lanes and tie up attacking support players. Once UM gained O zone control on a forecheck, I think UW played decent D zone D.

PP was not good all weekend, 1 ppg Friday and Saturday the PP generated little, especially when they needed it in the 3rd. Sad.

After seeing UM destroy MSU, I am not hopeful for the upcoming weekend.
                          Yeah, I think Minnesota is the best team in the country this year. They’re very likely to clean UW’s clock.

Comment

• Saturday was ... a weird game. Wisconsin looked dominant until they scored their first goal and the game was interrupted for the teddy bear toss, and then after that ... passing was horrible and the PP equally bad (Michigan decided to attack the puck carrier aggressively on the PK and Wisconsin never adapted/dealt with it - and obviously the shortie for Mich was a back-breaker). Both sides seemed discombobulated by the 4 p.m. start. Michigan had at least 20 offsides on zone entries - so many it was almost comical, like they didn't know what the blue line was.

Comment

• Enter Sandman just came on the radio, wow do I miss the old days of a full barn. Sad.

Comment

• Yep, it's goofer week and no one is here. I fully expect them to sweep UW.....the program is basically dead right now.
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X