Wisconsin Hockey 22-23 Empty Dreams & Empty Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The 7th Defenseman View Post
    Just to build on the comments related to TG not appearing to have a clue around why his teams are so bad … he really, truly seems to think it is 100% about the offensive talent level of his players.

Last Saturday, at Michigan State, TG was interviewed between periods and Broph got as close as the Posick/Broph duo are going to get to asking a difficult question, and he was gently asked why the last two years have not lived up to the expectations of the Cole/Dylan/Linus/TPB team. He was given plenty of time to answer and, as has been the case in the past, he identified only one thing (and he repeated this excuse a few times) – he was surprised by how many players left the team (he said 8) after the season. Apparently the only one he wasn’t surprised by was Cole.

3. My last point has been made by lots of people already – lack of talent hasn’t been this team’s biggest issue the past two years. I don’t even think it’s a top 5 reason. It’s coaching. It’s TG’s shocking inability to get his team to play with consistent effort and passion, it’s his inability to coach an effective system (offensively and defensively), it’s his inability to develop players, it’s his inability to fix problems over the course of season, it’s his inability to coach a team that doesn’t routinely make mental errors, etc.
    He's so close to the problem he doesn't see it or he would figure out a way to fix it. Brandt being new may have ideas to fix this, but he's in no position to impose his ideas onto the team.

Is the moral of the story not to hire someone for a position whose been fired from that position elsewhere? It's not that it never works out, but the odds are against it.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• I think one take away is this: people who were star or superstar players almost never make good coaches. This goes across all sports.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Polzin said somewhere on the Tweederverse that it's a foregone conclusion TG is getting fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Polzin said somewhere on the Tweederverse that it's a foregone conclusion TG is getting fired.
          It was in the "open Jim" segment in the paper. I think it was your question Tim, if I am not mistaken.

Or is it this: https://twitter.com/JimPolzinWSJ/sta...42125447544832
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            This is the one I was talking about. It's a sad deal for everyone involved. The players themselves must know something isn't right with the leadership and I hope they all look forward to a new start with a new staff instead of just bailing into the portal. These guys can succeed with the right leadership. Of course if some of the guys are the problem, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Comment

• So do I go to Ann Arbor to finally watch the stake get driven through and the end take place?

My first Badgers game as a kid was to watch the Don Morton era end, a 31-3 loss to Mochigan St.

Shall I make it 2 for 2?

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
                So do I go to Ann Arbor to finally watch the stake get driven through and the end take place?

My first Badgers game as a kid was to watch the Don Morton era end, a 31-3 loss to Mochigan St.

Shall I make it 2 for 2?
                Yes

Comment

• Nice spot by Jocko. Not my favorite sports director but this is a good one.

https://www.nbc15.com/2023/02/28/being-brock-caufield/
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Nice spot by Jocko. Not my favorite sports director but this is a good one. https://www.nbc15.com/2023/02/28/being-brock-caufield/
                    He's a little too buddy buddy with the coaches. When TG gets fired he'll not be happy.

So does it happen Monday AM, or is there an fall/winter sports evaluation window that opens and they leave him out hanging for weeks? It looks like they have until 6/30 to do it on the cheap.

Comment

So does it happen Monday AM, or is there an fall/winter sports evaluation window that opens and they leave him out hanging for weeks? It looks like they have until 6/30 to do it on the cheap.
                      That's a good question. They usually do their press conferences on Monday of each week. If they are swept, season closeout will be Sunday and my guess is that TG will not be made available to the press. If the series goes 3 games, I'd surmise that he gets fired on Tuesday. Winning the series only delays it a week because they would have to play at Minnesota. If they let this linger for weeks, they only hurt themselves more. The search needs to happen ASAP after the season ends to lessen impact to recruiting and to have a better candidate pool. They may not announce a replacement until after the NCAA tourney, or (and I'm being facetious) until Ohio State's season ends :P

Comment

He's a little too buddy buddy with the coaches. When TG gets fired he'll not be happy.

I think it will happen right away. Like Sunday or Monday, assuming they don't get to next week.

Comment

• Ya'll could make it to next week. Michigan is on a 4 game winless streak.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            Ya'll could make it to next week. Michigan is on a 4 game winless streak.
                            No better tonic for that than playing the team that is 1-21 over the last 2 years in Big7 regular season games away from the Kohl Center (2-23 if you count last years quarterfinal against N/D).
                            Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-02-2023, 03:38 PM.

Comment

No better tonic for that than playing the team that is 1-21 over the last 2 years in Big7 regular season games away from the Kohl Center (2-23 if you count last years quarterfinal against N/D).
                              If you need more reasons to be optimistic, Wisconsin is:

33rd of 62 in the pairwise
                              44th in offense
                              52nd in defense
                              24th in power play
                              42nd in penalty kill
                              47th in penalty minutes
                              48th in save %
                              but T9th in Faceoff %, "so we got that going for us, which is nice...."

Comment

• Alright, you guys convinced me...got both Fri and Sat tilts in the upper for this weekend. Im excited to finally watch the unceremonious end come to TG!

Comment

Working...
                                X