Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 22-23 Empty Dreams & Empty Seats

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

    The Indycar parallel is 100% accurate. Indycar was HUGE like UW hockey was, then they split into 2 factions and neither ended up doing much on their own, got back together years later, but the damage was done, people moved on. When you lose interest in something, you replace that interest with something else. You don't sit around and do nothing and wait for that old interest to come back. If it makes a comeback, you've already moved on. The hardcore hockey fans are still there but 65% have moved on. The newspaper has moved on. Will Ballysports move on?
    Bingo!

    most of the hardcore fan base that they’ve lost, the people who were there for all the Dane County Coliseum sold out nights, are gone and never to return. They’ve replaced Badger hockey with something else now. They’re gone forever.

    of the fanatics who filled up the coliseum there may be 4-500 left who attend a few games a year. That’s inexcusable but that’s what King, McIntosh and Alvarez have allowed or even fostered.

    like INDYCAR, Badger hockey is a relic. If you close your eyes and access your memory you can here PA announcer Phil “are you ready for Badger Hockey?!?!”, “Wisconsin goal scored by Scott Mellanby” and you can hear the crashes into the boards and the roar and buzz of a sold out crowd. Just like INDYCAR. Close your eyes and listen and you can hear the call of little Al vs Goodyear, or Michael Andretti stomping the field at the 500 only to have his car fail.

    but today, the crowds are sparse. A few diehards will regale you with stories but they’re decades old now. The players/drivers themselves are in the rear view mirror. Today, kids don’t know Rafalski from Andretti. It’s what it is. And it never should have gotten this far.

    we have Alvarez, King and McIntosh to thank for it.

    and king can rah rah all he wants about “hang in there”. ACTIONS are what counts. Not mindless optimism or promises of change. Action. Fire the staff, treat the sport like you do football and they’ll be kicking *** again soon.


    EDIT: I also wonder if Badger hockey is salvageable at all. Even with a new hire. Forget the 2/3 of the crowd they’ve lost forever, how do they replace them? Hockey is a niche sport.
    where does the new fan come from? Where do the wins come from?

    I fear what has happened is permanent, JUST like INDYCAR. They finally make a right move and hire Roger Penske as CEO but it was 25 years too late and even Roger can’t save them with all of his business acumen and billions. Will season’s end be too late to salvage this team, this brand, this sport? Yes. The more I think of this situation and the history the more I believe that 5-6,000 will be the new ceiling for fans IF this team ever turns a corner.
    Last edited by solovsfett; 01-11-2023, 03:19 PM.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


    "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

    "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

    Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

    Comment


    • It was a few weeks ago we were talking about how the legacy is gone. And I agree with that. The more we talk about Badger Bob and how amazing he was (in my opinion), the less room we have to move forward and make decisions on the future. We are far enough removed from Badger Bob that it should have no influence or qbility to cast a shadow on the next hire. And I agree that fans that attended the Coliseum. They are all gone. No sense even talking about em anymore because the simply dont factor. That fan base existed at a time when the rest of UW sports was awful, before social media, and before sports/TV entertainment options were blasted across the universe.

      I think the Ath Dept became arrogant about hockey. They looked at it as self sustaining and the hands off approach has been disastarous. They said, "here is Kohl Center, here is LaBahn. Now go to your ice sheeta and leave us alone while we focus on basketball and football".

      The ice aheet at Kohl HAS to be shrunk to a closer version of NHL size. Its a net negative.

      New start needed, wholesale program change outside of Nate LaPoint (equipment mgr, who is the best of the best in that profession)


      Comment


      • I think that if the program can return to a consistent winner and compete with the best programs in the country, people will return. People love a winner. Being a winner will draw back many that are looking for an exciting event to fill their winter weekend evenings. Those people in turn will draw in the more casual fans who are there for the spectacle as much as the shots, goals, and checks. If (and this may be a big if) the hoopla returns when a competent on ice product returns, the people will return. It may take a few years, so we can't have 1 up year followed by 4 down. That will not turn it around. We need 3-4 up years with an occasional rebuild year. I don't mind an occasional down year as long as competence is demonstrated, and there is a history to suggest an upward trajectory. Kind of like Eaves' first year. They didn't win much, but you could see some budding talent growing each weekend. Mistakes were made, but you saw them corrected in game or by the next series. I truly haven't seen much growth or improvement in the last 3-4 years. Same dumb passes, same dumb puck watching, same dumb results.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          ....

          EDIT: has McIntosh even attended a men’s hockey game? Inquiring 37 year season ticket holder wants to know.
          I saw him at a Friday night game last year in the lower level by section 112 in the handicap area. Edit: 21-22 season...
          Last edited by WiscTJK; 01-11-2023, 04:54 PM.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

          EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

            I know you didn't realize this, but I have emailed JK many times in the past, including last year.
            Me as well. I will keep writing...
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

            EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

            Comment


            • Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
              I think that if the program can return to a consistent winner and compete with the best programs in the country, people will return. People love a winner. Being a winner will draw back many that are looking for an exciting event to fill their winter weekend evenings. Those people in turn will draw in the more casual fans who are there for the spectacle as much as the shots, goals, and checks. If (and this may be a big if) the hoopla returns when a competent on ice product returns, the people will return. It may take a few years, so we can't have 1 up year followed by 4 down. That will not turn it around. We need 3-4 up years with an occasional rebuild year. I don't mind an occasional down year as long as competence is demonstrated, and there is a history to suggest an upward trajectory. Kind of like Eaves' first year. They didn't win much, but you could see some budding talent growing each weekend. Mistakes were made, but you saw them corrected in game or by the next series. I truly haven't seen much growth or improvement in the last 3-4 years. Same dumb passes, same dumb puck watching, same dumb results.
              Great post. I tend to be a debbie downer, but I think fans will come back. Someone above asked about where will the new fans come from? I was a hockey newbie in the 90's and started attending games at the coliseum. I never saw Bob Johnson coach. I was hooked immediately and to this day as you all know, I follow Badger hockey. But you won't get hooked with attendance / atmosphere as it is at the Kohl Center today. We need a consistent winner again, fans start returning and I think it can be great again. Sell out the Kohl level great again? Maybe not, but I think selling out levels 1 and 2 would be doable.

              Your bold line is so right on. They have talent thru recruiting, but they don't get developed. And the puck watching in the defensive end is just unacceptable. I coached high school lacrosse defense. If my high school players (a lot of them played hockey too) watched the ball like they watch the puck, they got removed from the game. Head on a swivel, protect the front of the net. It's no different in my mind in hockey and it's a simple thing....
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

              EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

              Comment


              • Hand in hand with the puck watching is that they all seem to gravitate to whoever has the puck, leaving the front and backside wide open. My only explanation for it is that they don't have confidence in their teammate to defend, so they all try to make a play on the puck carrier, leaving too many opponents uncovered.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
                  It was a few weeks ago we were talking about how the legacy is gone. And I agree with that. The more we talk about Badger Bob and how amazing he was (in my opinion), the less room we have to move forward and make decisions on the future. We are far enough removed from Badger Bob that it should have no influence or qbility to cast a shadow on the next hire. And I agree that fans that attended the Coliseum. They are all gone. No sense even talking about em anymore because the simply dont factor. That fan base existed at a time when the rest of UW sports was awful, before social media, and before sports/TV entertainment options were blasted across the universe.

                  I think the Ath Dept became arrogant about hockey. They looked at it as self sustaining and the hands off approach has been disastarous. They said, "here is Kohl Center, here is LaBahn. Now go to your ice sheeta and leave us alone while we focus on basketball and football".

                  The ice aheet at Kohl HAS to be shrunk to a closer version of NHL size. Its a net negative.

                  New start needed, wholesale program change outside of Nate LaPoint (equipment mgr, who is the best of the best in that profession)

                  it’s not a shadow. It’s the gold standard. You can’t just forget Badger Bob because he hasn’t coached in 40 years in Madison. He is IT. Like Lombardi. My god the NFL awards the Lombardi trophy to super bowl winners. Not the Belichek trophy or the Carroll trophy or the Reid trophy (honoring more recent super bowl winning coaches). Lombardi was the gold standard and everyone still knows that.

                  Bob set the bar. If you want someone to raise that bar I’m all for it but you can’t just say forget the man who built the program and forget all he did for the university, college hockey, hockey in Madison and the NHL because it was 4 decades ago. And it’s not Bob’s fault the U sucked at other sports. **** if he’d have coached baseball (his first love) he’d have won titles there too.

                  we all want a winner. I’m saying the U should look to Bob as the standard. 3 titles in less than 10 years. That’s what I’m talking about. Like York at BC or Brooks at Minnesota. Those are the gold standards. Reach for those heights or raise the bar but you don’t forget them or ignore them because they haven’t coached in x years or have passed on.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


                  "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

                  "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

                  Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

                    I saw him at a Friday night game last year in the lower level by section 112 in the handicap area. Edit: 21-22 season...
                    I’m shocked. Was he sleeping? Did he miss how atrocious this team plays?
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


                    "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

                    "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

                    Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      We need a consistent winner again, fans start returning and I think it can be great again.
                      Next season's thread title: "Make Badger Hockey Great Again"

                      Comment


                      • It's amazing watching Fickell and staff rebuild the offense for the football team. It's been a long time since I have been this excited for football. It gives me hope a new coach and a refresh of the hockey program could do the same.
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

                        EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          It's amazing watching Fickell and staff rebuild the offense for the football team. It's been a long time since I have been this excited for football. It gives me hope a new coach and a refresh of the hockey program could do the same.
                          I sure as heck hope King is noticing the energy and enthusiasm being created by the change. On the plus ledger, hockey is not lacking talent like football is, it's purely motivation and coaching issues. A new coach could spin this team around in a hurry as in have a winning record next season.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                          Comment


                          • Wow, TG's rolling out the big guns for this game....not. Newton is playing d lol. The person running their Twitter feed isn't even live tweeting the game either.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Wow, TG's rolling out the big guns for this game....not. Newton is playing d lol. The person running their Twitter feed isn't even live tweeting the game either.
                              After I called him or her out they've been doing a few tweets now. Haha. Had 2 break away that period failed to convert.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                              Comment


                              • One of the gold post pegs is stuck in the ice and it's zamboni drivers are having to drive around them as they try to pull this thing out lol. Even trying a torch. And it looked like they poured hot water down there too. This is symbolic of this whole program right here. Finally After the whole ice is practically resurfaced I they got it.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X