BU: Offseason '22: Build The Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I'm confused by this series of recent posts. You do remember that these players all kind of suck, right? Our goalie is good. We have two decent defensemen. Have any forwards besides Skoog scored more than 10 goals? I think the best we can hope for is a team that isn't awful.
    Pretty much agree... great goalie, average at best d corps, and slightly below average forwards. Gonna have to win a lot of 2-1 or maybe 3-2 games this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
      I'm confused by this series of recent posts. You do remember that these players all kind of suck, right? Our goalie is good. We have two decent defensemen. Have any forwards besides Skoog scored more than 10 goals? I think the best we can hope for is a team that isn't awful.
      I think it's hard to tell how much the lack of production was a product of **** poor coaching from Albie and how much is the players may not be that good. It's clear Albie's staff did not prioritize player development - which Jay & co. clearly are. Therefore, it's reasonable to believe the level of play we saw from them would improve.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post

I think we need to remember that the excellent recruiting news obviously doesn't impact this season. That said, I agree that this team should be improved - but I wouldn't say this is THE year. Yes, having so many upperclassmen is a rarity and should help. As should a pretty strong freshman class. The big question for me is - does the new coaching staff help guys like Stevens and Zabaneh realize their potential. We see flashes of brilliance, but not that next step to consistent high level of play. Even someone as talented as JOB wasn't consistent enough. Will there be any mid-season departures over playing time? I think it will be a bad sign if we see that from younger guys, since Pandolfo emphasized his goal of finding guys that are willing to stick it out when all doesn't go well. But I am optimistic that we won't have much if any of that.
        A few observations:
        On paper, BU has enough talent and experience to contend for home ice in an extremely competitive conference and earn an NCAA bid. This is largely the same squad that went 15-2-1 over three months with one OT loss and a 2-goal loss with an ENG. And yes, an ugly finish.

Both consistency and player development will be critical to BU’s success. In a WTBU interview, AD Marrochello said that he and Pandolfo are in lock-step on emphasizing player development. Besides the 2 players defkit mentioned, the new management needs to guide NHL-drafted juniors Tuch, Peterson and Webber in taking the next step up/becoming impact players, and to quickly get the freshmen ready to contribute.

In a recent podcast interview, Matt Brown said one key to this season is staying healthy, noting that last year, top 9 forwards missed a lot of games. The top 5 returning Fs were out for a combined 44 games, including 11 each for O’Brien and Brown, and Tuch 9. Only Skoog and Fensore played all 35.

BU had eight games (nearly ? of the schedule) go to overtime, with 3 OT wins, 2 OT losses and 2 shootout losses. 3-on-3 is effectively a special team situation like PP and PK, as is the penalty shot. Standings points at stake in close games.

It was a pretty good off-season in terms of early departures, with Mastro being the only unexpected loss of significance. Vlasic went right to the NHL and made 15 starts.
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Going to be interesting to see how we start the year. Feel that will determine how our season goes. Obviously, need to be good to get wins, but will be interesting to see how Pandolfo and staff do to start the year. OOC schedule is best/toughest we've had in years with Michigan, Notre Dame, Harvard in the first half of the season.

Last 3 Seasons (not counting 20-21) record until the new year

18-19
          6-8-2.....finished 16-18-4

19-20
          6-6-5..... finished 13-13-8

21-22
          7-9-3.... finished 19-13-3

Comment

• I hope we break in through this year... Here's our challenges and past realities...Against good/very good teams, we've struggled to score goals. Our OT/shootout results also show we're average in the offensive pop category. Our forwards HAVE to step up and produce, or we'll be sitting here a year from now putting our faith in the more heralded offensive recruits coming in.

Keep in mind: we feasted on lower PWR rated teams from January to end of February. Look at the SOS and apply a healthy amount of salt to gaudy record in the second half of last year.

The defense also has to step up or Drew will be exhausted in most most third periods/OT's... where I think we'll see improvement is in our overall playing systems and tactics/in-game adjustments.

It's going to be interesting to see the season unfold! It'll grab my interest mire than previous seasons- that's for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post

Pretty much agree... great goalie, average at best d corps, and slightly below average forwards. Gonna have to win a lot of 2-1 or maybe 3-2 games this year.
              Totally agree with this....play sound team defense...pop a few goals and hold on for close wins...we really need some of the forwards to take the next step and produce. You can't have a defenseman the leading scorer. Brown, Tuch, Peterson, Skoog need to make a bigger impact on the scoresheet.

Comment

• Brownie is leaving at the end of the academic year. Who is mookie going to write nasty emails to when the Terriers lose 3 in a row? : )
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Cole Eiserman (Newburyport, Mass) commits to Minnesota. Potential top 10 pick in 2024. BU was rumored the favorite at some point. First player to ever play for gophers from MA. Tough loss
                  Last edited by hydrant; 09-07-2022, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hydrant View Post
                    Cole Eiserman (Newburyport, Mass) commits to Minnesota. Potential top 10 pick in 2024. BU was rumored the favorite at some point. First player to ever play for gophers from MA. Tough loss
                    Bummer - was figuring the longer things went on the less chance he was coming here.

Comment

Cole Eiserman (Newburyport, Mass) commits to Minnesota. Potential top 10 pick in 2024. BU was rumored the favorite at some point. First player to ever play for gophers from MA. Tough loss
                      Gotta gove credit to the Gopher staff for that one. Of course he was at SSM out there but I stil thought he would want to be closer to home. Would also have been amazing to (potentially) see he and Macklin Celebrini skate together. I'm sure they will see each other on opposite sides of some WJC games.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                        Brownie is leaving at the end of the academic year. Who is mookie going to write nasty emails to when the Terriers lose 3 in a row? : )
                        Hopefully a new president that cares.

Comment

Man, I absolutely hate seeing a top player from MA heading west. Not good.
                          The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                          BC - 12
                          BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

• I thought the narrative on here was high-profile 1st round talent should not be coming to BU and we should get four-year character guys instead.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              I thought the narrative on here was high-profile 1st round talent should not be coming to BU and we should get four-year character guys instead.
                              We need a blend of both. The problem the past handful of years was that we had some one and dones/two and dones with poor player development for the 4 year guys. So, it left us with mediocrity - at least compared to our previous 50 year history.

Comment

• Got my annual before the season call from one of the players, thanking me for my support, etc. etc. etc. I let it go to voicemail. I'm assuming those were live so if I answered the phone, I could have had a chat. Ha! I really should do that next time. Freshman Lachlan Getz was my caller. Never heard of him. I had to check out the roster to see who he was. Did anyone else get one of those?

Comment

Working...
                                X