BU: Offseason '22: Build The Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by defkit View Post

No idea - have they said that all players that were eligible to play still can, even if they have now aged out (would seem to make sense as an approach)? If so, then the only thing I can think of is if he or BU or the Blackhawks don't want him to get burnt out or risk injury playing all that hockey before the season starts. Would love to see him play in it.

Opted out to fully prepare for BU season is the word on the street.

Comment

• You don't see that very often. If everyone did that there wouldn't be a WJC. With the timing of it being in August is it possible he's nursing an injury and doesn't want to rush back? The other guys who were on original roster and not invited:

Jake Sanderson
      Matty Beniers
      Ty Smilanic

First two will be in NHL training camps this year so maybe those teams don't want them at WJC. As for Smilanic, not sure there. Maybe something there that also explains him leaving Quinnipiac. Character concerns?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        You don't see that very often. If everyone did that there wouldn't be a WJC. With the timing of it being in August is it possible he's nursing an injury and doesn't want to rush back? The other guys who were on original roster and not invited:

Jake Sanderson
        Matty Beniers
        Ty Smilanic

First two will be in NHL training camps this year so maybe those teams don't want them at WJC. As for Smilanic, not sure there. Maybe something there that also explains him leaving Quinnipiac. Character concerns?
        If I am the Blackhawks or any other NHL they're is no way I am letting a player play in a tournament in August. It’s a dumb idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

If I am the Blackhawks or any other NHL they're is no way I am letting a player play in a tournament in August. It’s a dumb idea.
          I guess I don't see how it's any different than the WJC being held in December-January. Ultimately the kids are still playing the same amount of hockey. The only way I could see not letting a prospect play in it if it's in August is if you are having the player be a part of your NHL training camp with the idea that you have plans for them at the NHL level in the fall.

Comment

I guess I don't see how it's any different than the WJC being held in December-January. Ultimately the kids are still playing the same amount of hockey. The only way I could see not letting a prospect play in it if it's in August is if you are having the player be a part of your NHL training camp with the idea that you have plans for them at the NHL level in the fall.
            WJC being held in December and January when players have been in game shape and been playing for 4 months. August is ridiculous. These kids won't have had any games and will jump into highly competitive atmosphere = ideal situation for injuries especially goalies. Levi lost a full season due to an injury in WJC and that was in December. With a new head coach at BU and with Commesso already playing in the Olympics I could see that the WJC in August isnt a draw. Focus on training and getting ready for the BU/turning pro season is the smarter move in my opinion.
            Last edited by Lemonade; 06-22-2022, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• I'm not a hockey player so I don't know anything about getting into game shape but for college players there is typically a 2-3 week gap between end of semester and when the WJC starts. I just don't see it as a huge deal. College players go right from a college training camp into playing games so I am sure they would have the same type of training camp environment leading up to the start of the WJC in August. I haven't been following it closely enough to know how people in the game feel about this though. As a fan, I actually like the idea of it happening in August instead of the middle of the college season.

Comment

I'm not a hockey player so I don't know anything about getting into game shape but for college players there is typically a 2-3 week gap between end of semester and when the WJC starts. I just don't see it as a huge deal. College players go right from a college training camp into playing games so I am sure they would have the same type of training camp environment leading up to the start of the WJC in August. I haven't been following it closely enough to know how people in the game feel about this though. As a fan, I actually like the idea of it happening in August instead of the middle of the college season.
                Players usually take up until June off of ice totally and recover. Most do off ice all year round but push harder in Jun/July/August then just do maintenance.

Post season - take a week to month off from any training depending on player. Most do light off ice training.
                June/July - players start some on ice training/pick up games - continue off ice training - this is the time the most important time as this is when players get stronger for season.. NHL does prospect development camps.
                August - players start picking up on ice training/practices start - continue off ice training.
                September - Practices start/training camps start

Comment

Opted out to fully prepare for BU season is the word on the street.
                  Confirmed this is true per my sources. He was invited but declined to participate to focus exclusively on BU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

Confirmed this is true per my sources. He was invited but declined to participate to focus exclusively on BU.
                    Personally I love the decision. Pandolfo bringing in the "All in" mentality!

Comment

Personally I love the decision. Pandolfo bringing in the "All in" mentality!
                      Seconded! Even though Commesso isn't wearing a leadership letter on his sweater this coming season, I believe he's very much being counted on as a leader both on and off the ice.

Between Commesso and Duplessis, this is as good as I've felt about BU's goaltending in quite some time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        But now does USA Hockey hold a grudge against him? Potential for him to be a future Olympic candidate if the NHL is involved. Politics! I don't have a strong feeling on this either way and would also be excited if a BC kid turned it down to focus on the college season. It's just so very rare to see it happen.

Comment

But now does USA Hockey hold a grudge against him? Potential for him to be a future Olympic candidate if the NHL is involved. Politics! I don't have a strong feeling on this either way and would also be excited if a BC kid turned it down to focus on the college season. It's just so very rare to see it happen.
                          Good point. USA hockey should give the kid a break but will probably hold a grudge lol..he already has done U17, U18, World Jrs (twice I think before it got cancelled), Mens Worlds and Olympics...maybe he just wants to stay and prepare for a full season at BU without leaving the team again as this is probably his last college season before he turns pro. New coach at BU, new culture and he probably wants to participate in setting the course. Good for him.

Comment

• There could also be a "the WJC and I just weren't meant to be" factor. First year he has to drop out at the last minute, and he doesn't even have COVID himself (IIRC). Second year he gets there, plays great, but the tourney gets cancelled. I don't hold it against him that he wants to just avoid it and I doubt USA Hockey would either. Poor kid has had a rough go of it.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                              There could also be a "the WJC and I just weren't meant to be" factor. First year he has to drop out at the last minute, and he doesn't even have COVID himself (IIRC). Second year he gets there, plays great, but the tourney gets cancelled. I don't hold it against him that he wants to just avoid it and I doubt USA Hockey would either. Poor kid has had a rough go of it.
                              Valid points. Add it all up and I wouldn’t go either lol.

Comment

• I was just reviewing the 2017 NHL Draft (Cale Makar FTW!). Shane Bowers. Oooof.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2017e.html

It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X