Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU: Offseason '22: Build The Boats

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    If we pencil in Joe Pereira, I don't see any reason to believe we risk losing existing players or recruits. Anyone on the fence likely would've left by now, and it's already past the NCAA deadline to enter the portal for next fall.
    I have heard the absolute opposite - if Albie came back there was going to be a mass exodus of players.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

      I have heard the absolute opposite - if Albie came back there was going to be a mass exodus of players.
      I, too, have heard similar from multiple sources. I feel this quote from Dom Fensore in the BU Today article says so much:

      “The second half, we kind of just gelled together, and [Pandolfo] was a big part of that,”

      Comment


      • #33
        Despite not having been around college hockey much as a coach, I think the biggest difference between Jay and Albie is that Jay brings a level of respect and credibility that I'm not sure Albie ever commanded as head coach. I feel there was an overestimation of Albie's vast experience as an Assistant/Associate HC across several programs and how that experience could translate into success as a head coach at a program of BU's stature.

        In hindsight, I think the gap between expectations vs. reality with Albie's capabilities to be a consistently successful head coach at BU were far greater than many realized. I think the growth curve was far steeper than many expected and I'm not sure if he ever grew into the role the way he needed to. I think it was brassbonanza who pointed out that Jay has been a winner at every level he's played and coached at - Burlington High, BU, NJ Devils, Bruins. Albie's coaching experience prior to BU was all with programs that didn't achieve levels of success during his years at those programs that a place like BU demands.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

          I have heard the absolute opposite - if Albie came back there was going to be a mass exodus of players.
          I wasn't saying the opposite as you - instead exactly the same. I was saying anyone who wanted to leave or decommit because Albie was let go would've done so already - and no one did. So now that they've made a hire, it seems unlikely anyone will now leave or decommit because they don't like the hire.

          I too heard there would've been quite a few who left if Albie returned and that they players' opinion of his coaching was at least a small factor in Drew's decision to move on.

          I agree with FoBUH's point above about commanding respect from the players. Albie always came off as very buddy-buddy with the players in his public appearances. I distinctly remember multiple instances of players calling him "Albie" in public, including Logan during a preseason event last year. It struck me as odd that they didn't refer to him as Coach, Coach O'Connell, or something similar and suggested an odd player-coach mutual respect.
          Last edited by brassbonanza; 05-10-2022, 01:55 PM.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

            I wasn't saying the opposite as you - instead exactly the same. I was saying anyone who wanted to leave or decommit because Albie was let go would've done so already - and no one did. So now that they've made a hire, it seems unlikely anyone will now leave or decommit because they don't like the hire.

            I too heard there would've been quite a few who left if Albie returned and that they players' opinion of his coaching was at least a small factor in Drew's decision to move on.

            I agree with FoBUH's point above about commanding respect from the players. Albie always came off as very buddy-buddy with the players in his public appearances. I distinctly remember multiple instances of players calling him "Albie" in public, including Logan during a preseason event last year. It struck me as odd that they didn't refer to him as Coach, Coach O'Connell, or something similar and suggested an odd player-coach mutual respect.
            Gotcha. I think you touched on exactly what ended up being Albies downfall and that was the lack of respect of the head coach position. Albie is a great guy, great recruiter who connects with the kids with his personality. That personality however didn't translate into the head coach position. Not everyone is cut out for that head coach spot.

            Comment


            • #36
              Small sample but in the most important games of the year you got blown out by a horrible Maine team and lost to a bad BC team which I believe ultimately cost you in the PWR and blowing home ice and having to play at UConn where you lost. Just adding some context about the first half of the season conveniently being Albie's fault and Pandolfo getting credit for the hot streak.

              Comment


              • #37
                Why are we concerned if anyone leaves? What did these boys accomplish that any other schmoe off the street couldn’t?

                there has been one single ncaa loss, and one single trophy of any kind (a limited field in season tournament). Mookie should be getting a refund on his season tickets from Nancy at this point for what mookie has spent over the last umber of seasons.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                Comment


                • #38
                  McMahon cites a source saying the Len Quesnelle won't be part of Pandolfo's staff next season, adding that BU is looking for a coach with a "skills background" for that position. Two names that jump to mind are a pair of All-American defensemen: Jon Coleman--a teammate of both Pandolfo and Doug Friedman--who is now an assistant at Bentley, and Freddy Meyer, who succeeded Shawn McEachern at The Rivers School.
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

                    Gotcha. I think you touched on exactly what ended up being Albies downfall and that was the lack of respect of the head coach position. Albie is a great guy, great recruiter who connects with the kids with his personality. That personality however didn't translate into the head coach position. Not everyone is cut out for that head coach spot.
                    Got that right. Head coach can't be buddy-buddy with the players. Assistants can be a little closer to the team, but not the guy in charge.
                    "No matter where you go, there you are"

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                      McMahon cites a source saying the Len Quesnelle won't be part of Pandolfo's staff next season, adding that BU is looking for a coach with a "skills background" for that position. Two names that jump to mind are a pair of All-American defensemen: Jon Coleman--a teammate of both Pandolfo and Doug Friedman--who is now an assistant at Bentley, and Freddy Meyer, who succeeded Shawn McEachern at The Rivers School.
                      Interesting! I'm still holding out hope for confirmation about Joe Pereira. And I was assuming that Doug Friedman would remain as the Hockey Ops guy. But I was questioning why the hockey ops guy was on the bench. Scott Young was as well when he was in that role but Brittany Miller was not. Is that their way of adding to the coaching staff without adding to the coaching staff?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

                        Interesting! I'm still holding out hope for confirmation about Joe Pereira. And I was assuming that Doug Friedman would remain as the Hockey Ops guy. But I was questioning why the hockey ops guy was on the bench. Scott Young was as well when he was in that role but Brittany Miller was not. Is that their way of adding to the coaching staff without adding to the coaching staff?
                        Well I think there is room for both Pereira and one of these guys since if Quesnelle is gone that means two openings. Maybe you weren't implying otherwise...
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by defkit View Post

                          Well I think there is room for both Pereira and one of these guys since if Quesnelle is gone that means two openings. Maybe you weren't implying otherwise...
                          McMahon "presumes" that Pereira has been hired, noting that UConn is looking for a replacement. If Quesnelle is being replaced, it makes sense to announce Pandolfo's entire staff once it's complete.

                          McMahon also reports that O'Connell had serious talks with Michigan State about joining new coach Adam Nightingale's staff, but turned it down.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Did Pereira attend Monday's news conference?
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              wasn’t Len an old time coach who had deep contacts in the ushl? Like buddy was not so long ago?

                              someone like this is needed more than bringing in all these old timey terriors to make everyone wax on for the good ole days.

                              the boys need to stop sucking. That is the priority now
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Fun read on the coaching carousel.

                                https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...s-Wrapping.php

                                It Happened!!!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X