Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

How, exactly?

Between the women's program also being horrible, and the flagship football program listing along at 3-2, and the complete stagnation in any publicity/marketing, she has a herculian effort to put her people in place for the backend support, while keeping powder dry on the coaches. At this point, with the dye cast for the season, there's no benefit to doing anything other than giving them complete and unwavering support while they are still in place, while hopefully quietly making "contingency" plans.

I agree with HockeyRef, can't wait for this season to start to we can focus on the product. Opening day lineup chart will be interesting.
    But wait, unless there have been developments I'm unaware of, we already know the product, and that is the problem. Are you seriously expecting different results from the past several years? Not being wise, seriously, do you expect any different outcome? Souza has shown us no improvement on any front, none. If you disagree please show me the "bright" spots we can point to.
    GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

But wait, unless there have been developments I'm unaware of, we already know the product, and that is the problem. Are you seriously expecting different results from the past several years? Not being wise, seriously, do you expect any different outcome? Souza has shown us no improvement on any front, none. If you disagree please show me to the "bright" spots we can point to.
      With the huge freshman class, it is a less known product. That is both good and bad. They lost three "known" forwards, at least two of which were definite plusses (Pierson/Ward) and one of which (Engaras) was solid if unremarkable. Sweeping out the rest, and guys like Hermann and Richels, is nothing to lose sleep about.

On the back end, replacing Verrier and McKinnon, two "serviceable" guys, with a plus (Carfagna) and maybe a serviceable guy DeVita, may also be upgrades. Plus growth of Gagne/Huard.

And there's the possibility of upgrade in net.

So they've thrown in their hand which had a couple of good cards, and drawn a new hand that has the potential of improvement, but may also be more of the same. There's at least excitement to see how Sardarian, Dunlop Leclerc, Skraskins and Winters fare. They could end up being Cafarelli (good potential numbers in juniors, not able to crack lineup) or Richels (one good tool, but question if skating could sustain). But they could end up as Pierson.

It will be more interesting than watching the "known" guys try and effort it out.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        While there is a lot to do I'm sure to improve things am really glad to read tweets from the new AD that she attended a field hockey game to acknowledge a coaching milestone…and tweet about it. Never saw any of that under the past AD. Social media prowess is hardly an indication of how capable one is at anything but I think it's refreshing.
        Yes, and no heavy lifting involved. Nice personal touch. "Low hanging fruit", check.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        I mean really she has barely been in the office what a couple, 3 months? Rome wasn't built in a day or did I miss something?
        With all due respect, HR, I think this frames the whole lack of urgency issue I've been railing on about for what seems like forever now. I mean, why do something now that you can't kick down the road a few more weeks/months/years? I can't speak for internal expectations of AD Rich's performance, but the last time I was kicked upstairs for a management job in the private sector, the expectations to perform began almost immediately. 3 months was a lifetime; that was over 25 years ago, and I don't think the world has changed all that much since. Yes, "Rome wasn't built in a day", but I'm guessing the most successful Roman rulers weren't just "easing into the job" when they were out there expanding their global empire.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        I doubt seriously that she reads this board…probably working on acclimating to the job and getting out to know her coaches and athletes… This board is hardly the center of the universe and I doubt the posts here are printed out and handed to her each morning.

Thank God the season starts this week…might just give us something constructive to discuss…
        I get your point here, and I don't think anyone here has any realistic expectation of a direct pipeline into the AD's office, much less having the AD on here going toe-to-toe on the pros and cons of MS7's depth chart or recruiting strategy. Of course not, she answers to a different boss. BUT ... if I'm an AD, what additional work would be involved in identifying outside sources of feedback into how the general off-campus population is viewing how your programs are doing? I'm guessing there are other places where fans of UNH Football or Hoops or Soccer or Field Hockey congregate to exchange opinions on how the team(s) are doing. Is it THAT big an ask, or THAT outrageous an expectation that the AD has a toady "printing out and handing to her" something on a weekly/monthly basis for a program out of season, and more frequently with programs in-season? I mean, no one expects she is going to attend each and every game (especially road games) so how else would you expect her to stay current with each program? Rely on the increasingly limited number of local media with scant game recaps and rare (softball) interviews? Or on Coach Fillintheblank's personal account of each contest?? Or the Wildcat Ouija Board maybe???

If I'm an AD, I want to have my finger on the pulse of everything. If "everything" only means other admins, coaches and players, with all due respect, that's a pretty insular approach. You reach out beyond the in-house options, and maybe you get something you weren't made aware of otherwise. Maybe a lot of it ends up being stuff you already know, or things you don't consider important, and that's fine. But it's the other 10%-20% you may stumble onto that fills in more of the overall picture of a program and/or its coach (or how the ticket office is/isn't doing a passable job) that can make a huge difference.

Three months in, and as a baseline I'd hope she has met all of her coaches and their support staff, and is collecting data and analyzing their performances, as well as all other off-field department heads under her control. Maybe this board isn't the "center of the universe" BUT it IS the closest measure of the heartbeat of the UNH Hockey programs. Finger on the pulse.

JMHO.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          I get your point here, and I don't think anyone here has any realistic expectation of a direct pipeline into the AD's office, much less having the AD on here going toe-to-toe on the pros and cons of MS7's depth chart or recruiting strategy. Of course not, she answers to a different boss. BUT ... if I'm an AD, what additional work would be involved in identifying outside sources of feedback into how the general off-campus population is viewing how your programs are doing? I'm guessing there are other places where fans of UNH Football or Hoops or Soccer or Field Hockey congregate to exchange opinions on how the team(s) are doing. Is it THAT big an ask, or THAT outrageous an expectation that the AD has a toady "printing out and handing to her" something on a weekly/monthly basis for a program out of season, and more frequently with programs in-season? I mean, no one expects she is going to attend each and every game (especially road games) so how else would you expect her to stay current with each program? Rely on the increasingly limited number of local media with scant game recaps and rare (softball) interviews? Or on Coach Fillintheblank's personal account of each contest?? Or the Wildcat Ouija Board maybe???

If I'm an AD, I want to have my finger on the pulse of everything. If "everything" only means other admins, coaches and players, with all due respect, that's a pretty insular approach. You reach out beyond the in-house options, and maybe you get something you weren't made aware of otherwise. Maybe a lot of it ends up being stuff you already know, or things you don't consider important, and that's fine. But it's the other 10%-20% you may stumble onto that fills in more of the overall picture of a program and/or its coach (or how the ticket office is/isn't doing a passable job) that can make a huge difference.

Three months in, and as a baseline I'd hope she has met all of her coaches and their support staff, and is collecting data and analyzing their performances, as well as all other off-field department heads under her control. Maybe this board isn't the "center of the universe" BUT it IS the closest measure of the heartbeat of the UNH Hockey programs. Finger on the pulse.

Why not help her out? athletic.director@unh.edu
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Just read the horrible news that Josh Ciocco passed away yesterday. A big loss for the college hockey family. Keeping his friends and family in my thoughts and prayers.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• God that's awful and a gut punch. He was always an engaging, passionate advocate for college.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Just read the horrible news that Josh Ciocco passed away yesterday. A big loss for the college hockey family. Keeping his friends and family in my thoughts and prayers.
                So sad and so young. Can tell by the way he played had a love of hockey and never took a shift off. The college hockey world lost one of the good ones today. RIP Josh

Comment

• I would like to offer a sincere message of condolence to all UNH hockey friends, family, and fans (as well as those in the MC hockey community) in the passing of Josh Ciocco. You all had the opportunity to see him play and were a part of his life. No matter what our differences are regarding the program, we are all part of the Wildcat family and this hurts even though I had little to no involvement. I'm so terribly sorry. HR
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-04-2022, 11:48 AM.
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Very sad. Wasn't his family a major contributor the Whitt video board funding?

During his first game (against UVM) I wondered aloud how to pronounce his name. Without skipping a beat, my buddy (who reads, but never posts here) responded. "Josh".

RIP.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I doubt seriously that she reads this board…probably working on acclimating to the job and getting out to know her coaches and athletes… This board is hardly the center of the universe and I doubt the posts here are printed out and handed to her each morning.

Thank God the season starts this week…might just give us something constructive to discuss…
                      I know, for as sure as it gets without hearing it from him directly, that Marty read this board. I've not yet heard if AD Rich will continue the tradition.

Amen to constructive discussion.

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Between the women's program also being horrible, and the flagship football program listing along at 3-2, and the complete stagnation in any publicity/marketing, she has a herculian effort to put her people in place for the backend support, while keeping powder dry on the coaches. At this point, with the dye cast for the season, there's no benefit to doing anything other than giving them complete and unwavering support while they are still in place, while hopefully quietly making "contingency" plans.
                      Agreed. There are currently open positions for Director of UNH Wildcat Productions "a component of the External Relations department... calls upon expertise in the areas of video production, live broadcasts, fan engagement, promotional messaging, and other marketing elements for use in the venue and via digital and linear platforms" and Deputy Director of Athletics, External Operations which "will have oversight of marketing, brand management, revenue generation (including ticketing and sponsorships through Wildcat Sports Properties), media relations, strategic communications, multimedia, and broadcast".

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                      But wait, unless there have been developments I'm unaware of, we already know the product, and that is the problem. Are you seriously expecting different results from the past several years? Not being wise, seriously, do you expect any different outcome? Souza has shown us no improvement on any front, none. If you disagree please show me the "bright" spots we can point to.
                      I go into every season with new hope. To your point, it would be a very pleasant surprise, at this point shocking even, to see any new or returning players who step up to be scorers/play makers. If nothing else there are five NH players on the team this year. :-)

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      With all due respect, HR, I think this frames the whole lack of urgency issue I've been railing on about for what seems like forever now. I mean, why do something now that you can't kick down the road a few more weeks/months/years? I can't speak for internal expectations of AD Rich's performance, but the last time I was kicked upstairs for a management job in the private sector, the expectations to perform began almost immediately. 3 months was a lifetime; that was over 25 years ago, and I don't think the world has changed all that much since. Yes, "Rome wasn't built in a day", but I'm guessing the most successful Roman rulers weren't just "easing into the job" when they were out there expanding their global empire.
                      Hoping for shoot first ask questions later? ;-) Tough comparison, the private sector 25 years ago to the public education sector today. I don't quite get the Rome analogy, but if it is that UNH takes over and rules the college hockey world, I am all in!

I mean, no one expects she is going to attend each and every game (especially road games)...
                      Based on her social media, who knows maybe it is one of her vast team of minions managing the accounts ;-), she's doing a pretty good job.

...if I'm an AD, what additional work would be involved in identifying outside sources of feedback into how the general off-campus population is viewing how your programs are doing? I'm guessing there are other places where fans of UNH Football or Hoops or Soccer or Field Hockey congregate to exchange opinions on how the team(s) are doing.
                      She attended the season ticket holder gathering, no? I am assuming that was not a one off for the men's hockey program only. BTW, the pictures made attendance look pretty good. Can anyone who was there confirm?
                      Last edited by Darius; 10-04-2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        I know, for as sure as it gets without hearing it from him directly, that Marty read this board. I've not yet heard if AD Rich will continue the tradition.

Amen to constructive discussion.

Agreed. There are currently open positions for Director of UNH Wildcat Productions "a component of the External Relations department... calls upon expertise in the areas of video production, live broadcasts, fan engagement, promotional messaging, and other marketing elements for use in the venue and via digital and linear platforms" and Deputy Director of Athletics, External Operations which "will have oversight of marketing, brand management, revenue generation (including ticketing and sponsorships through Wildcat Sports Properties), media relations, strategic communications, multimedia, and broadcast".

I go into every season with new hope. To your point, it would be a very pleasant surprise, at this point shocking even, to see any new or returning players who step up to be scorers/play makers. If nothing else there are five NH players on the team this year. :-)

Hoping for shoot first ask questions later? ;-) Tough comparison, the private sector 25 years ago to the public education sector today. I don't quite get the Rome analogy, but if it is that UNH takes over and rules the college hockey world, I am all in!

Based on her social media, who knows maybe it is one of her vast team of minions managing the accounts ;-), she's doing a pretty good job.

She attended the season ticket holder gathering, no? I am assuming that was not a one off for the men's hockey program only. BTW, the pictures made attendance look pretty good. Can anyone who was there confirm?
                        Thanks for the replies on my post. I am just trying to give her a chance...Anyway! As to your point...yes, the STH even was VERY well attended...it was a great vibe; players sat with us, we got to finally have some convo with them and the coaches. Lots of people, including FOH 'old guard' were in attendance. EVERYONE there had a vested interest in meeting the new AD, hearing from Coach Souza, and of course, hearing from the players. Mike Murphy MC'd it and of course did a great job of generating enthusiasm for the players, new AD, and the upcoming season on the 'new ice surface'. Wheels turn slower than we like, but, I felt encouraged, and supported.

On another note the hubs and I will make the trek to God only knows where this weekend haha to Clarkson/St. Lawrence. Staying in an AirBB 10 miles from the Canadian border! Could not get a closer hotel...must be a lot happening up that way. Looking forward to it but its going to be a haul and considering we just got back from a 9 day Cali trip....oh well, a few days to get ready! Let's go 'Cats!
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          Very sad. Wasn't his family a major contributor the Whitt video board funding?
                          I think you're referring to Mike Borisenok's family, Darius? At least that's my vague recollection.

RIP Josh Ciocco. Video below from better times, young Josh and a relevant UNH Hockey.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• My personal condolences to the Ciocco family.

Passing these along from North Dakota Hockey: https://twitter.com/UNDmhockey/statu...xsports.com%2F
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

On another note the hubs and I will make the trek to God only knows where this weekend haha to Clarkson/St. Lawrence. Staying in an AirBB 10 miles from the Canadian border! Could not get a closer hotel...must be a lot happening up that way. Looking forward to it but its going to be a haul and considering we just got back from a 9 day Cali trip....oh well, a few days to get ready! Let's go 'Cats!
                              I've made to trip to upstate NY a number of times. Taking the ferry across Lake Champlain, winter weather in early October, it was always an adventure! We used to stay in a hotel somewhere between St. Lawrence and Clarkson (The University Inn - IIRC). Good times going back to the hotel bar after games and having drinks with Frank and Pauline Haydar (great people), long time poster Greg A., and many others. Those were some good times, enjoy your trip!
                              Last edited by d.gerry; 10-04-2022, 02:40 PM.
                              GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                I think you're referring to Mike Borisenok's family, Darius? At least that's my vague recollection.
                                Correct. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X