Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Lookie what the cat dragged in!! ;-) Seriously though, good to see you back on here, Snives!!

You folks already know where I stand on developing more quality in-state hockey competition.
    February 12, 1938: UNH beat St. Anselms 19-2 in men’s ice hockey.

Comment

Do we know if these are previously-filled positions now open, or just Step 1 in empire building?
      Honestly I have no idea Chuck.

Both have been posted within the past couple weeks, (after the new AD had been on the job for a bit) but that might only be a coincidence.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

February 12, 1938: UNH beat St. Anselms 19-2 in men's ice hockey.
        October 7, 1916: In college football, Georgia Tech routed Cumberland 222-0.

I was gonna question what the Vegas odds were for those games, but as of 1900 the population of Las Vegas was only 22. Not 22,000 or 2,200 or even 220. So I'm guessing there were no wiseguy odds. Interestingly, as of 1940 - two years after the UNH trouncing of St. A's, the population of Vegas was 8,422 - less than Durham, Goffstown, and not so much higher than my beloved Effingwoods. But that was still before La Cosa Nostra's first wiseguy squatters showed up to transform things.

Modern day Vegas would probably set the line at UNH -3.5 goals if this game were played now.

More importantly, it could be a big step towards getting NH another viable D-1 program ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

Honestly I have no idea Chuck.

Both have been posted within the past couple weeks, (after the new AD had been on the job for a bit) but that might only be a coincidence.
          Genuinely curious, no worries. If the new AD produces more competitive teams across the board, I'm not going to quibble with having a few lackeys on board to help make it all work. But if this is going to be "I'll do compliance, and you guys do the icky sports stuff", that's not what we're looking for, is it? For all his many faults, Blue Skies ran the show, and owned all his coaching decisions.

Comment

More importantly, it could be a big step towards getting NH another viable D-1 program ...
            I'd rather see UNH become the next viable DI program in New Hampshire...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• So I just got back from the women's team game against Union. A nice 5-2 win after a struggle yesterday. I must say I'm not disappointed in the outcome of the arena renovation as I thought I would be. The fact that they didn't fill the concrete floor out to the new wall width gives a better optical feel even though the sight lines were pulled in. There is basically a step down into a new row that are the blue folding chairs which, while a bit tacky, makes for a better look and feel than five feet of blank space. I hope that if they are committed to adding seats there (as they should be) they look to a more permanent option. Overall it doesn't feel as awkward as I felt it would
              would.

Now for me, not a fan of the yellow kick plates (personal preference) but where this project was to modernize and conform more closely to NHL standards, it doesn't ruin my day. I'm just more a fan of the light blue we have had for many years now.

Now the bad, the corner sections and the end bench seats without chairbacks toward the corners have some of the worst sightlines I have ever seen. I think some of the bench seats were pretty rough to begin with but they are almost unusable now. I will say that the side sections were not as badly affected as I thought they would be but the corners... Woof...

I don't know if this is a conformity thing but I felt they should have given the extra space created by sliding in the walls to the player benches. At present they slid the bench areas in five feet as well and now have a five foot gap with a tarp covering it. I figured we would go more like what Providence has with a more spacious area behind the bench.

Overall, I would give the project a B/B- and suggest to anyone who has tickets in the corners to move immediately and if you are buying tickets avoid the corner sections and the first 3-4 rows. Otherwise I don't think you will notice a massive difference.

Lastly, thank whatever higher power or lack thereof that you believe in that we got better side glass than the drunk goggles that Conte Forum has. These have very minor distortion comparable to most pro arenas.
              Last edited by deltabravo62; 09-24-2022, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                So I just got back from the women's team game against Union. A nice 5-2 win after a struggle yesterday. I must say I'm not disappointed in the outcome of the arena renovation as I thought I would be. The fact that they didn't fill the concrete floor out to the new wall width gives a better optical feel even though the sight lines were pulled in. There is basically a step down into a new row that are the blue folding chairs which, while a bit tacky, makes for a better look and feel than five feet of blank space. I hope that if they are committed to adding seats there (as they should be) they look to a more permanent option. Overall it doesn't feel as awkward as I felt it would
                would.

Now for me, not a fan of the yellow kick plates (personal preference) but where this project was to modernize and conform more closely to NHL standards, it doesn't ruin my day. I'm just more a fan of the light blue we have had for many years now.

Now the bad, the corner sections and the end bench seats without chairbacks toward the corners have some of the worst sightlines I have ever seen. I think some of the bench seats were pretty rough to begin with but they are almost unusable now. I will say that the side sections were not as badly affected as I thought they would be but the corners... Woof...

I don't know if this is a conformity thing but I felt they should have given the extra space created by sliding in the walls to the player benches. At present they slid the bench areas in five feet as well and now have a five foot gap with a tarp covering it. I figured we would go more like what Providence has with a more spacious area behind the bench.

Overall, I would give the project a B/B- and suggest to anyone who has tickets in the corners to move immediately and if you are buying tickets avoid the corner sections and the first 3-4 rows. Otherwise I don't think you will notice a massive difference.

Lastly, thank whatever higher power or lack thereof that you believe in that we got better side glass than the drunk goggles that Conte Forum has. These have very minor distortion comparable to most pro arenas.
                I was there too, I must say that Coach Witt's team is looking much better than in recent seasons (fingers crossed). I'm in section 119, and I didn't see too much differerence in my sight lines. The rink reduction looked fairly well done, though I didn't do a thorough check of the sight lines in other sections. Hey....if an NHL surface helps them win games, than I am not going to complain.

One note, to be filed in the Oh,-that's-different-but-you-are-free-to-express-your-opinion-and-I-respect-that department -- With both teams on the ice, the national anthem begins to play. Just at that moment, starting goalie Nicky Harnett immediately drops to one knee as the music starts. First time I've ever seen a UNH hockey player do that. Like I said, I raised my eyebrows and said "Huh...ok" and just let it go at that. I guess she's free to express her views. #shouldershrug
                UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

I was there too, I must say that Coach Witt's team is looking much better than in recent seasons (fingers crossed). I'm in section 119, and I didn't see too much differerence in my sight lines. The rink reduction looked fairly well done, though I didn't do a thorough check of the sight lines in other sections. Hey....if an NHL surface helps them win games, than I am not going to complain.

One note, to be filed in the Oh,-that's-different-but-you-are-free-to-express-your-opinion-and-I-respect-that department -- With both teams on the ice, the national anthem begins to play. Just at that moment, starting goalie Nicky Harnett immediately drops to one knee as the music starts. First time I've ever seen a UNH hockey player do that. Like I said, I raised my eyebrows and said "Huh...ok" and just let it go at that. I guess she's free to express her views. #shouldershrug
                  Last season I would say 7-10 players were doing it including some still on the team this year. I was curious to see how many were continuing that and I guess it’s just the one. I’m very much in the you do you camp on that whole thing, different seeing some of the ones who did so last year no longer doing so.

In terms of the seating, My tickets were 119 as well and that is where I plan to sit at the games I attend this year. Aside from the top of the glass being more in my view at the far end net front it’s not that much of a change.

Watched the team on the ESPN plus feed last night and they struggled a bit but adjusted and got better with the team they were playing and the ice surface as that game went on. Came out of the gate strong today and never let up, hope to see them get something going this year too. I definitely think the narrower ice helps the womens game, curious to see how the guys adjust to it.

Comment

I was there too, I must say that Coach Witt's team is looking much better than in recent seasons (fingers crossed).
                    They had to settle for a split with a team that went 5-28-1 last season, I'll reserve judgement. MBB and WIH are the lone UNH programs with worse HC situations than MIH if you're asking me (though MBB has never even tried to try as long as I've been alive)...
                    Last edited by Dan; 09-24-2022, 09:55 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

I'd rather see UNH become the next viable DI program in New Hampshire...
                      LOL fair point :-)

Comment

Liberal arts major with interests in "social justice" and DIE, from the Commonwealth of Minnesota.

Nikki Harnett ‘23 | Sociology (unh.edu)

Some of the Men's Soccer guys were doing it last Fall. Welcome to Higher Ed in the 2020's ...

Comment

• Interesting piece in the Athletic today on who are the best recruiters in college hockey:

https://theathletic.com/3591225/2022...shared-article

This is behind a paywall, but it should be of no surprise that New Hampshire didn't have anyone in the top 10 or honorable mention. Here's who made the list from Hockey East:

4th: Jerry Keefe, Northeastern
                          6th: Ben Barr, Maine
                          10th: Joe Pereira, Boston University

HM (Honorable Mention): Greg Brown, BC; Greg Carvel, UMass; Nate Leaman, Providence; and Mike Levine, Northeastern.

Comment

• Originally posted by OvahInDovah View Post
                            Interesting piece in the Athletic today on who are the best recruiters in college hockey:

This is behind a paywall, but it should be of no surprise that New Hampshire didn't have anyone in the top 10 or honorable mention. Here's who made the list from Hockey East:

HM (Honorable Mention): Greg Brown, BC; Greg Carvel, UMass; Nate Leaman, Providence; and Mike Levine, Northeastern.
                            One thing I found interesting is UMA’s other assistant coach who just went to Michigan St. was ranked third. I was always under the impression Barr did all of the recruiting at UMA but it sounds like it was a team effort. If a program has two of the top recruiters in the country as assistants and then loses both you would think it would be hard to maintain recruiting success.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

One thing I found interesting is UMA’s other assistant coach who just went to Michigan St. was ranked third. I was always under the impression Barr did all of the recruiting at UMA but it sounds like it was a team effort. If a program has two of the top recruiters in the country as assistants and then loses both you would think it would be hard to maintain recruiting success.
                              What it likely actually means is the HC drives recruiting strategy and processes - do people really still think it’s 1960 and assistants travel through the darkness for weeks on end and HCs just take what the bring them...

Sure, certain assistants are better than others but HCs scout extensively, make final decisions and are every teams ‘most important’ recruiter...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by OvahInDovah View Post
                                Interesting piece in the Athletic today on who are the best recruiters in college hockey:

No Luce?!? Can't be ... last I heard, he supposedly "had his fingerprints all over HEA"?????

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Luce, as Pereira is now back at his alma mater ...

Comment

Working...
                                X