Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put the odds at 70% at his point. My narrative is probably different than the one you have created. In mine, he was approached with a very positive, “ we think we can make you a D1 star, we believe in you.” Will that hold for 2/3 years? Only time will tell. In terms of losing recruits to the delay, it sure looks like it, went along with the “I play my loyal seniors first.”Ah!
    In terms of Commesso, not hard to believe but look who is here this year! Same path, different beginning. Better hope he stays for all 4. And Stutzle was a no brainer, went straight to NHL, hard to argue that one. We have all watched the miss steps, but they only become missteps when they happen.

Comment

• 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26 2026-27
      Pg.Ryan Black Fr.Ryan Conmey So.Ryan Conmey Jr.Ryan Conmey
      Sr.Harrison Blaisdell Fr.J.P. Turner So.J.P. Turner Jr.J.P. Turner Sr.J.P. Turner
      Sr.Chase Stevenson Fr.Nick Ring So.Nick Ring Jr.Nick Ring Sr.Nick Ring
      Sr.Joe Hankinson
      Jr.Nick Cafarelli Sr.Nick Cafarelli Fr.Ryan MacPherson So.Ryan MacPherson Jr.Ryan MacPherson
      Jr.Cam Gendron Sr.Cam Gendron Fr.Connor MacPherson So.Connor MacPherson Jr.Connor MacPherson
      So.Will Margel Jr.Will Margel Sr.Will Margel Fr.Niko Tournas So.Niko Tournas
      So.Liam Devlin Jr.Liam Devlin Sr.Liam Devlin Fr.Jack Sadowski So.Jack Sadowski
      So.Robert Cronin Jr.Robert Cronin Sr.Robert Cronin
      So.Conor Lovett Jr.Conor Lovett Sr.Conor Lovett Fr.Connor DeTurris So.Connor DeTurris
      So.Connor Sweeney Jr.Connor Sweeney Sr.Connor Sweeney
      Fr.Jake Dunlap So.Jake Dunlap Jr.Jake Dunlap Sr.Jake Dunlap
      Fr.Kristaps Skrastins So.Kristaps Skrastins Jr.Kristaps Skrastins Sr.Kristaps Skrastins
      Fr.Stiven Sardarian So.Stiven Sardarian Jr.Stiven Sardarian Sr.Stiven Sardarian
      Fr.Cy Leclerc So.Cy Leclerc Jr.Cy Leclerc Sr.Cy Lecerc
      Fr.Morgan Winters So.Morgan Winters Jr.Morgan Winters Sr.Morgan Winters
      Defense
      Sr.Kalle Eriksson Fr.Brenden Fitzgerald So.Brenden Fitzgerald Jr.Brenden Fitzgerald Sr.Brenden Fitzgerald
      Jr.Luke Reid Sr.Luke Reid Fr.Sam Court So.Sam Court Jr.Sam Court
      Jr.Nikolai Jenson Sr.Nikolai Jenson Fr.Ryan Philbrick So.Ryan Philbrick Jr.Ryan Philbrick
      So.Alex Gagne Jr.Alex Gagne Sr.Alex Gagne
      So.Colton Huard Jr.Colton Huard Sr.Colton Huard
      So.Nico DeVita Jr.Nico DeVita Sr.Niko Devita Fr.Josh Player So.Josh Player
      So.Jack Babbage Jr.Jack Babbage Sr.Jack Babbage
      Fr.Damien Carfagna So.Damien Carfagna Jr.Damien Carfagna Sr.Damien Carfagna
      Fr.Cade Penney So.Cade Penney Jr.Cade Penney Sr.Cade Penney
      Goalies
      Fr.Tyler Muszelik So.Tyler Muszelik Jr.Tyler Muszelik Sr.Tyler Muszelik
      Sr.David Fessenden Fr.Jed Baliotti So.Jed Baliotti Jr.Jed Baliotti Sr.Jed Baliotti
      Jr.Jeremy Forman Sr.Jeremy Forman
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
        I put the odds at 70% at his point. My narrative is probably different than the one you have created. In mine, he was approached with a very positive, “ we think we can make you a D1 star, we believe in you.” Will that hold for 2/3 years? Only time will tell. In terms of losing recruits to the delay, it sure looks like it, went along with the “I play my loyal seniors first.”Ah!
        In terms of Commesso, not hard to believe but look who is here this year! Same path, different beginning. Better hope he stays for all 4. And Stutzle was a no brainer, went straight to NHL, hard to argue that one. We have all watched the miss steps, but they only become missteps when they happen.
        Personally I don't blame the coaching staff (except for the Union thing...) myself. I believe skaters land where its best for them, and that's the long and short of it. YES very excited to have Tyler M with us this season. Will be interesting to see what's going to go down with the goal tending situation. He's gunning for the starting position, and, I hope that both of them get a shot at it opening weekend (I fully expect to see this). I bet Colton Huard doesn't make 4 seasons we'll see...but here's hoping.

Captain watch: Chase Stevenson is my bet. Yours?

I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Ref, my guess is still Kalle with the C and Chase and Harrison with the As. Would love to see a junior get an A, someone like Luke. Makes them step up and be a more active leader going into next year. I went with Kalle for a couple of f reasons. One was the showing of their hand on the schedule release page with Kalle.
          But I have no issue with your guess. Chase needs to have a big year as his past 2 have been slowed by injuries. Loved his freshman year.
          would love to get access to their scrimmage with MC the first weekend. Perhaps they can’t because of some silly HE rule. Sousa had indicated he wanted an exhibition game to start this year. Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
            I put the odds at 70% at his point. My narrative is probably different than the one you have created. In mine, he was approached with a very positive, “ we think we can make you a D1 star, we believe in you.” Will that hold for 2/3 years? Only time will tell.
            I hope you're right AtW, but when you figure that the guys who recruited him have less than a 70% chance of still being here by the time the kid matriculates, even the most wild-eyed optimists among us would be kind of crazy to peg UNH's chances of seeing this kid come to Durham in 3-4 years' time as anything more than a 50-50 proposition. Too many moving pieces, and we've seen this movie before, etc. But like I said, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Until there is an uptick in the program's success, we're basically Placeholder U ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• I saw that Merrimack just signed a high scoring 17 year old from Toronto. Only 5'9" but had 108 points last year in the GTHL and will move up to the OJHL this year. Hmmm...... sounds familiar, like deja vu all over again. How come we cant get players like this? Oh wait, we used to, back when we had a solid pipeline into Toronto AND recruiters willing to battle there. One of those 5'9" players (not Johnny Rogers) ended up with 219 points at UNH. Were them the days.
              Last edited by Whalers; 09-09-2022, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
                I saw that Merrimack just signed a high scoring 17 year old from Toronto. Only 5'9" but had 108 points last year in the GTHL and will move up to the OJHL this year. Hmmm...... sounds familiar, like deja vu all over again. How come we cant get players like this? Oh wait, we used to, back when we had a solid pipeline into Toronto AND recruiters willing to battle there. One of those 5'9" players (not Johnny Rogers) ended up with 219 points at UNH. Were them the days.
                Darren Haydar isn't going to be walking through that door anytime soon, sadly.

UNH's rich vein of recruiting in British Columbia also largely dried up when McCloskey left.

Nowadays UNH gets everyone's leftovers, a couple of Swedes, and flawed/borderline prospects.

Anyone even approaching a legit top-tier prospect commits to UNH at age 16 (Placeholder U - "come & get me"), seemingly to get the attention of the rest of the hockey world, and more often than not ends up somewhere else. It's like the whole "safety school" concept taken out onto the ice. It might even work for UNH too ... if only MS7 could generate on-ice success to compel the would-be recruits to actually follow up on their years-ago commitments, knowing there are meaningful games to be played at UNH. That hasn't happened. And I have a hard time blaming kids for changing their minds. So ...

Comment

• On the media poll, they have several tiers, with us in the 9-11 grouping (as I also see it)

Mike Machnik @MikeMachnikCHN 2022-23 @hockey_east

Writers & Broadcasters Association Media Poll:
                  1. Northeastern (7) 117
                  2. Massachusetts (3) 96
                  =======================
                  3. Providence 87
                  4. Connecticut 86
                  5. BU (1) 85
                  =======================
                  6. Massachusetts-Lowell 73
                  7. BC 63
                  ======================
                  8. Merrimack 51
                  ======================
                  9. Vermont 24
                  10. New Hampshire 23
                  11. Maine 21

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  With kids hitting campus now, let's see where we are in HE
                  1.BU
                  2.NU
                  3.U.Mass
                  4.U.Conn
                  5.BC
                  6.Providence
                  7.U.Mass-Lowell
                  8.Merrimack
                  9.U.N.H.
                  10.Maine
                  11.Vermont
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    1. Northeastern (7) 117
                    2. Massachusetts (3) 96
                    =======================
                    3. Providence 87
                    4. Connecticut 86
                    5. BU (1) 85
                    =======================
                    7. BC 63
                    ======================
                    8. Merrimack 51
                    ======================
                    9. Vermont 24
                    10. New Hampshire 23
                    11. Maine 21

If ALL goes well UNH can perhaps jump Vermont, maybe Merrimack? Hard to see this team being better than BC/Lowell or any one else in Hockey East this season. If they cannot score, and struggle to possess the puck in the offensive zone, it's not so hard to see them jumped by rival Maine...

It's an absolute shame what has been allowed to happen to UNH Hockey.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      On the media poll, they have several tiers, with us in the 9-11 grouping (as I also see it)

Mike Machnik @MikeMachnikCHN 2022-23 @hockey_east

1. Northeastern (7) 117
                      2. Massachusetts (3) 96
                      =======================
                      3. Providence 87
                      4. Connecticut 86
                      5. BU (1) 85
                      =======================
                      7. BC 63
                      ======================
                      8. Merrimack 51
                      ======================
                      9. Vermont 24
                      10. New Hampshire 23
                      11. Maine 21
                      BC will move up several notches, and both Providence and UConn are slightly overrated here. Lowell almost always seems to exceed expectations. I think Merrimack falling back a bit from last season is a good call. Anyone who thinks Ben Barr is going to be taking UMaine to a second last place finish in a row isn't paying attention. This year's UMaine team will be the surprise of HEA, as was Merrimack last season. And yes, either UNH (sadly my pick) or UVM will be ending up in the HEA cellar this time around. Bring on the rebuild, please ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

If ALL goes well UNH can perhaps jump Vermont, maybe Merrimack? Hard to see this team being better than BC/Lowell or any one else in Hockey East this season. If they cannot score, and struggle to possess the puck in the offensive zone, it's not so hard to see them jumped by rival Maine...

It's an absolute shame what has been allowed to happen to UNH Hockey.
                        AD Rich, I hope that you are reading this. Come March 2023, if this team isn't singing a different tune, please make this your JOB #1 and make the necessary changes. Thank you.

Signed,

A 30+ year season ticket holder
                        UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

AD Rich, I hope that you are reading this. Come March 2023, if this team isn't singing a different tune, please make this your JOB #1 and make the necessary changes. Thank you.

Signed,

A 30+ year season ticket holder
                          I'm with Scott here, but not as patient! I feel AD Rich needs to address this sooner, rather than later. Please begin a top down rebuild immediately. It is a complete shame what has been allowed to happen to a once proud program.

Signed,

A 27 year season ticket holder.
                          GO BLUE!

Comment

• Hockey East Media Day today - Stevenson (at least) is representing UNH, so that's a good sign he'll be in a leadership position this season (Assuming this hasn't been announced already? I can't claim to be too caught up in anticipation for this season...). The Wildcats were picked 9th in the Coaches' Poll (UNH Women equally as neglected in the 8th spot)...

--

Devlin - Blaisdell - Cronin
                            Dunlap - Sardarian - Cafarelli
                            Margel - Stevenson - Skrastins
                            LeClerc - Lovett - Gendron/Winters
                            Hankinson - Sweeney - Black

Gagne - Reid
                            Carfagna - Huard
                            Babbage - Eriksson
                            Jensen - DaVita
                            Penney

Muszelik / Fessenden
                            Foreman
                            Gaughan

If the team gets good goaltending from Muszelik than they could be pretty good from the blueline back - this honestly might be the most talented/exciting defensive group since the days of Pesce, VanRiemsdyk, Knodel, Agosta, Hardowa, Kostolansky. Outside of the two future NHLers on that corp the rest of the group might have been a bit of a surprise over the course of their UNH careers relative to their on paper expectations. The current group is probably a deeper group based on expectation...

But what does UNH get from its forwards this season? How much did promising freshmen seasons from Devlin and Cronin depend on their more talented upperclass counterparts (Pierson, Ward, Engaras)? Can they take a step forward needing to be the drivers of the offense themselves? Blaisdell has struggled to play up to expectations at both NoDak and UNH. The rest of the group is entirely comprised of inexperience and yet-to-produce options...

I would be surprised if there aren't struggles to score this season - at least from the forward group (how much can the D be expected to drive overall offense?)...

My biggest concern is puck possession in the offensive zone - allowing the D to mobilize, catch a breather and not spend all 60 minutes under siege in their own end.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Hockey East Media Day today - Stevenson (at least) is representing UNH, so that's a good sign he'll be in a leadership position this season (Assuming this hasn't been announced already? I can't claim to be too caught up in anticipation for this season...). The Wildcats were picked 9th in the Coaches' Poll (UNH Women equally as neglected in the 8th spot)...
                              Hockey East 2022-23 Men's Preseason Coaches' Poll
                              Rank Team (1st Place Votes) Pts.
                              1. Northeastern (7) 105
                              2. Boston University (1) 94
                              3. Massachusetts (3) 93
                              4. Providence 76
                              T-5. Boston College 71
                              T-5. UMass Lowell 71
                              7. UConn 70
                              8. Merrimack 44
                              9. New Hampshire 37
                              10. Vermont 29
                              11. Maine 26

Can't say I blame them, but also, this group, as you go on to say, is unknown up front. 16 points for Cronin and Devlin, and then 10 for Stevenson, 8 for Blaisdell and 7 for Cafarelli are the career highs. Given the past "knowns" and the limitations that encompassed, I prefer a re-deal of the deck. Basically the whiffs on the 2020 and 2019 classes is why there's 7 newcomers on the forward lines.

--
                              Devlin - Blaisdell - Cronin
                              Dunlap - Sardarian - Cafarelli
                              Margel - Stevenson - Skrastins
                              LeClerc - Lovett - Gendron/Winters
                              Hankinson - Sweeney - Black

Gagne - Reid
                              Carfagna - Huard
                              Babbage - Eriksson
                              Jensen - DaVita
                              Penney

Muszelik / Fessenden
                              Foreman
                              Gaughan
                              Not bad guesses. They're all sort of in the same boat, and you can as easily make a case for Leclerc on #2. Heck, since you have him at the #6 D spot, maybe try Eriksson up front, because I have to think they have a role for DaVita.

If the team gets good goaltending from Muszelik than they could be pretty good from the blueline back - this honestly might be the most talented/exciting defensive group since the days of Pesce, VanRiemsdyk, Knodel, Agosta, Hardowa, Kostolansky. Outside of the two future NHLers on that corp the rest of the group might have been a bit of a surprise over the course of their UNH careers relative to their on paper expectations. The current group is probably a deeper group based on expectation...
                              Agree. Muszelik is the wildcard, as freshmen goalies are hard to predict. Remember Trent Cavicchi, a similarly highly touted NHL pick who took three years to approach starting?

But what does UNH get from its forwards this season? How much did promising freshmen seasons from Devlin and Cronin depend on their more talented upperclass counterparts (Pierson, Ward, Engaras)?
                              I'd say Cronin's track record is stronger on that front, but your point is entirely proper -- riding shotgun is different than being the lead.

I would be surprised if there aren't struggles to score this season - at least from the forward group (how much can the D be expected to drive overall offense?)...

My biggest concern is puck possession in the offensive zone - allowing the D to mobilize, catch a breather and not spend all 60 minutes under siege in their own end.
                              Basically, in 34 games, they'll need at least 85 goals to be competitive.
                              The last years have been 76, 60 (23 games), 91, 90, 88, 124

They may not get there in 2022-23, so another 9-11 spot season is in the offing. But it will be more fun to "play the kids" and maybe the cupboard will have some groceries for the Chef come 2023-24. Where we are in March 2023 will be interesting.
                              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-13-2022, 11:38 AM.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Usually the Captain goes to the Hockey East Media Day...at least, that's been the norm from what I gather. Haven't seen any verification of that. As per the team we know we need to find scoring and I think that there is potential there. Lots of 'unknowns'...guess we'll find out! Not surprised at the ranking/poll.
                                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                                X