Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

LOL thanks 'Watcher, I'm going to snap up the bait. We need to liven up the place anyway ...

... so now UConn is the "Flavor of the Month" (year/decade/whatever) after making it to the Hockey East tourney in Boston for the first time ever. Not shocking, as some program has always got to be the shiny new toy in the league, and it's finally their turn for a run at it. I mean, after all, they are still the only HEA program to have never (not once) qualified for the NCAA tourney (even Merrimack has made it once). And itty-bitty, not-so-far-from Storrs AIC has now made it three times, but they don't appear on the ESPN The Ocho Top 16 list. Hmm ...

UConn basically finished in a 3 way tie for 4th place in HEA last season with Merrimack and BU. But add a small dash of nutmeg into the local yokel ESPN yahoo homer-ism mix, and Luce will be able to wave this "selection" around non-stop, as the whole "Jerry York hasn't won anything without me" recruiting pitch is starting to age, especially now with Coach York's retirement. Who knows, maybe Yorkie will get bored polishing up his hardware at home, and offer to volunteer assist with Luce this year? I mean, only if Luce would have him, of course.

It's been a slow build over the last decade in Storrs, and I get it that some folks are giddy that the program just had its first winning season, and actually won a playoff game/series last March. Good for them. But to compare the speed of the build at UConn with the much more rapid ascensions of (for example) UMass Lowell under Coach Bazin, UMass Amherst under Coach Carvel (and yes, I was a doubter there), or a generation earlier, BC under York, UMaine under Walsh and UNH under Umile, and UConn still comes up FAR short.

UConn's closest comp is still Northeastern under Jim Madigan, but even the Huntington Hounds progressed more rapidly to relevance in HEA than the tepid pace still being set by these "other" Huskies. At some point, the "build" has to become a consistent home-ice competitor in HEA, and a semi-consistent NCAA participant. Or else someone takes their place as the shiny new toy in Hockey East. I say the clock is ticking, and the window is closing for UConn, with every step Coach Barr takes up in the Downeast to return UMaine to relevance. Northeastern is still up there, as is BU, and you can't expect BC to be down for long, now that the post-York transition is finally underway. Even "Norm from Lowell" is still in the picture.

So continue to color me as unimpressed by the speed of UConn's ascension. Others have done much more, and much more quickly. Even the Dennehy-era Merrimack program emerged more quickly. If the slow build down at Storrs continues in its current direction into more rarified air, I can be convinced to change my mind (see UMass). I just don't see it happening.
    Yeah baby! Coach Cav could cure cancer and you would try to diminish his successes. Is there any other coach in the league that has been a part of 4 NCAA championships? I know it was all Jerry, and Cav didn't have ANY role in those, but is there another coach with his name on 4? And now after UConn's (lucky, flash in the pan, lightning in a bottle, however else you want to discredit them) HE Championship game appearance, the program has confidence! They have high end first year recruits, solid transfers and returning guys that know how to win in the league. Can't wait for another year of you miserable keyboard crusaders trying to bash the most tenured, and arguably most successful, HE coach of the last 3 decades. The rise is not rapid enough, the NCAA trophies are Jerry's doing, UConn stinks, Cav's been a bad coach for 25 years......save it loser.

We'll be playing for trophies again this year, but in our new state of the art rink, thanks to Coach Cav!

But good luck to Cav's protege's at UNH, BC and now BU. The guy's imprint is all over the league, and the only place anyone says anything bad about the guy is on this toxic anonymous message board.

Comment

• Luce for COTY. {insert appropriate emoji}
      UNH

Comment

• See on the Hockey East website that they have an exhibition game on 10/1 vs Merrimack. Nothing on the unh site. Wonder if it’s a closed one like they had last year

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Luce for COTY. {insert appropriate emoji}
          Waiting for his successes to rub off on our guy...sigh.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• https://www.hockeyeastblog.com/post/unh-season-preview

Blog:

This is going to be Mike Souza’s fifth season as the head coach of UNH Men’s Hockey and this year he has a lot to prove. The highest that UNH has finished in the standings during his tenure as coach is in 8th place. With some of the talent that is heading to this roster UNH has the potential to compete for at least a top 6 spot in the standings. However, this year’s team has some question marks with some key offensive pieces leaving and with a new goalie. In this blog I will break down each position group and what to expect from each one.

Outlook:

It’s safe to say that this year’s UNH team should be better than they were last year but like was said before if the forward group can live up to potential and fill in the roles that were lost by the key players that left, then it will be a big factor on how far this team can go and if they can be a road team in the playoffs or a home team.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Offense is going to be a huge factor, we know this going in. Am hopeful for Muszelik but he can't do it on his own. Still, gives us a decent chance to compete at least. Top 6 would be a dream come true not seen in a long time... Here's hoping...

Comment

• Lookie at what the cat dragged in, folks ...

Originally posted by CT Husky View Post
                Yeah baby! Coach Cav could cure cancer and you would try to diminish his successes. Is there any other coach in the league that has been a part of 4 NCAA championships? I know it was all Jerry, and Cav didn't have ANY role in those, but is there another coach with his name on 4?
                Jimmy Logue was there with York (and Luce) for all 4 of 'em. Neither was with York at BG in '84.

Ouch. I know, don't you hate it when you step in the doo doo, dumb***?

And now after UConn's (lucky, flash in the pan, lightning in a bottle, however else you want to discredit them) HE Championship game appearance, the program has confidence! They have high end first year recruits, solid transfers and returning guys that know how to win in the league.
                Lucky? No. Lightning in a bottle? No, that would require UConn having actually won something. Flash in the pan, or one hit wonder are more likely to be apt. Slow your roll, you were second best in the tourney. None of your guys "know how to win" anything yet.

Can't wait for another year of you miserable keyboard crusaders trying to bash the most tenured, and arguably most successful, HE coach of the last 3 decades. The rise is not rapid enough, the NCAA trophies are Jerry's doing, UConn stinks, Cav's been a bad coach for 25 years......save it loser.
                LOL there are over a dozen more successful HE coaches, possibly two dozen even. Including the likes of Kevin Sneddon and Paul Pooley, who also won pretty much nothing (I think Pooley won a HE Tourney once?). You don't get to equate titles won as the 2nd, 3rd or 4th in command with guys who have actually won something as a HC. But please continue, this is all very entertaining ...

We'll be playing for trophies again this year, but in our new state of the art rink, thanks to Coach Cav!
                You don't get to use the term "again" when you've only done it once in a decade (and lost).

But good luck to Cav's protege's at UNH, BC and now BU. The guy's imprint is all over the league, and the only place anyone says anything bad about the guy is on this toxic anonymous message board.
                Proteges, LOL, now you've given the game away. In England, they would call you a WUM. Coach Brown learned under both Coaches Ceglarski (player) and York (coach) at BC, and Pereira is a first year BU assistant who learned under Jack Parker as a player. Luce can take all the "credit" he wants for the coaching mediocrity that Mike Souza has continued to be at UNH.

Your guy is a turd, everyone steps on him, gets crap on their shoes, and mucks up the whole place with his stench. Yet he wants credit, and folks like you enable him. You get what you deserve, enjoy ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Another former DRW head coach has suddenly become available for hire in the future at UNH. Plus, his kid played in HEA not too long ago, and Babs was a volunteer assistant at UVM recently, too. Despite the headline, he does leave the door open for a possible future return, so ...

Mike Babcock says he's 'retired' from coaching: 'It's time to move on' - Sportsnet.ca

In the meantime, Dave Lewis (70) is still available, as is Harry Neale (85), but neither Bobby Kromm nor Nick Polano will be coming down for breakfast any time soon sadly ...

Comment

• Well, the powerhouse UNH Men's Soccer team dropped its season opener at home to BU 1-0.

Comment

• Home opener. Lost at Maryland last week. So much for the #9 national ranking. Maybe a good thing(?)
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        Home opener. Lost at Maryland last week. So much for the #9 national ranking. Maybe a good thing(?)
                        They lost a ton of players, correct? Meanwhile, field hockey is 2-0 spanking BU Sunday 5-2...

Comment

• Gosh, the excitement surrounding the upcoming season is almost palpable ...

Comment

• Well, across the street at Wildcat Stadium the Rick Santos era began Thursday night with a win, 31-21 over CAA newcomer Monmouth.

Neither team looked outstanding, in fact UNH's offense was pretty anemic for most of the game. Defense was OK, still gave a up a ton of yards in the first half and a lot of stupid penalties by the offense (I think three in a row (?) were called on the same lineman in the second half). UNH got the crowd going with two quick TD's in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter to seal the game, but until then it was anyone's guess as to whom was going to emerge as the victor.

Happy with the win, but the 'Cat gridders still have a lot of work to do........
                            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Lookie at what the cat dragged in, folks ...

Jimmy Logue was there with York (and Luce) for all 4 of 'em. Neither was with York at BG in '84.

Ouch. I know, don't you hate it when you step in the doo doo, dumb***?

Lucky? No. Lightning in a bottle? No, that would require UConn having actually won something. Flash in the pan, or one hit wonder are more likely to be apt. Slow your roll, you were second best in the tourney. None of your guys "know how to win" anything yet.

LOL there are over a dozen more successful HE coaches, possibly two dozen even. Including the likes of Kevin Sneddon and Paul Pooley, who also won pretty much nothing (I think Pooley won a HE Tourney once?). You don't get to equate titles won as the 2nd, 3rd or 4th in command with guys who have actually won something as a HC. But please continue, this is all very entertaining ...

You don't get to use the term "again" when you've only done it once in a decade (and lost).

Proteges, LOL, now you've given the game away. In England, they would call you a WUM. Coach Brown learned under both Coaches Ceglarski (player) and York (coach) at BC, and Pereira is a first year BU assistant who learned under Jack Parker as a player. Luce can take all the "credit" he wants for the coaching mediocrity that Mike Souza has continued to be at UNH.

Your guy is a turd, everyone steps on him, gets crap on their shoes, and mucks up the whole place with his stench. Yet he wants credit, and folks like you enable him. You get what you deserve, enjoy ...
                              Loguey hasn't been a coach in Hockey East in 10 years. So let me, and my dumbass, ask the question again more clearly, Is there any other active coach in the league with his name on 4 NCAA championships? Yes or no is sufficient, unless you feel the need to degrade me again for being a big fan of our coach.

But speaking of the local MA hockey legend, and Olympian, Jim Logue, I know he lives up near UNH during the summer months, if you see him ask him what he thinks of Coach Cav. Trust me, it won't fit your narrative.

I love this line....."You don't get to equate titles won as the 2nd, 3rd or 4th in command with guys who have actually won something as a HC." It makes it crystal clear you don't know what you are talking about and have never been on a team of any significance. So, however you want to diminish his role, his name is on 4, not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4.

Oh, and when you get a minute, type this into google, who is the highest paid college hockey coach in the country. Some deal for a has been/never was/never going to be....

Comment

• Just lobbing a grenade into this peaceful discussion by noting that U.Conn received a commitment from Ethan Gardula, whose brother attends UNH (though on the club team).
                                https://www.achahockey.org/stats/pla...3/ryan-gardula

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2022/9/...ushing-academy

Either the school is no longer as fun as I remember it, or something else is causing all these siblings to go elsewhere.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X