Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posted mostly to enrage Chuck on U.Conn

Preseason BucciMane
    Top 16
    1 Denver
    2 Minnesota
    3 North Dakota
    4 Notre Dame
    5 Minnesota Duluth
    6 Harvard
    7 Northeastern
    8 Quinnipiac
    9 Michigan
    10 Boston University
    11 Minn St
    12 Providence
    13 UMass

14 Bemidji St
    15 UConn
    16 Penn St
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Posted mostly to enrage Chuck on U.Conn

Preseason BucciMane
      Top 16
      1 Denver
      2 Minnesota
      3 North Dakota
      4 Notre Dame
      5 Minnesota Duluth
      6 Harvard
      7 Northeastern
      8 Quinnipiac
      9 Michigan
      10 Boston University
      11 Minn St
      12 Providence
      13 UMass

14 Bemidji St
      15 UConn
      16 Penn St
      LOL thanks 'Watcher, I'm going to snap up the bait. We need to liven up the place anyway ...

... so now UConn is the "Flavor of the Month" (year/decade/whatever) after making it to the Hockey East tourney in Boston for the first time ever. Not shocking, as some program has always got to be the shiny new toy in the league, and it's finally their turn for a run at it. I mean, after all, they are still the only HEA program to have never (not once) qualified for the NCAA tourney (even Merrimack has made it once). And itty-bitty, not-so-far-from Storrs AIC has now made it three times, but they don't appear on the ESPN The Ocho Top 16 list. Hmm ...

UConn basically finished in a 3 way tie for 4th place in HEA last season with Merrimack and BU. But add a small dash of nutmeg into the local yokel ESPN yahoo homer-ism mix, and Luce will be able to wave this "selection" around non-stop, as the whole "Jerry York hasn't won anything without me" recruiting pitch is starting to age, especially now with Coach York's retirement. Who knows, maybe Yorkie will get bored polishing up his hardware at home, and offer to volunteer assist with Luce this year? I mean, only if Luce would have him, of course.

It's been a slow build over the last decade in Storrs, and I get it that some folks are giddy that the program just had its first winning season, and actually won a playoff game/series last March. Good for them. But to compare the speed of the build at UConn with the much more rapid ascensions of (for example) UMass Lowell under Coach Bazin, UMass Amherst under Coach Carvel (and yes, I was a doubter there), or a generation earlier, BC under York, UMaine under Walsh and UNH under Umile, and UConn still comes up FAR short.

UConn's closest comp is still Northeastern under Jim Madigan, but even the Huntington Hounds progressed more rapidly to relevance in HEA than the tepid pace still being set by these "other" Huskies. At some point, the "build" has to become a consistent home-ice competitor in HEA, and a semi-consistent NCAA participant. Or else someone takes their place as the shiny new toy in Hockey East. I say the clock is ticking, and the window is closing for UConn, with every step Coach Barr takes up in the Downeast to return UMaine to relevance. Northeastern is still up there, as is BU, and you can't expect BC to be down for long, now that the post-York transition is finally underway. Even "Norm from Lowell" is still in the picture.

So continue to color me as unimpressed by the speed of UConn's ascension. Others have done much more, and much more quickly. Even the Dennehy-era Merrimack program emerged more quickly. If the slow build down at Storrs continues in its current direction into more rarified air, I can be convinced to change my mind (see UMass). I just don't see it happening.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• With kids hitting campus now, let's see where we are in HE
        1.BU
        2.NU
        3.U.Mass
        4.U.Conn
        5.BC
        6.Providence
        7.U.Mass-Lowell
        8.Merrimack
        9.U.N.H.
        10.Maine
        11.Vermont
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

With kids hitting campus now, let's see where we are in HE
          1.BU
          2.NU
          3.U.Mass
          4.U.Conn
          5.BC
          6.Providence
          7.U.Mass-Lowell
          8.Merrimack
          9.U.N.H.
          10.Maine
          11.Vermont
          I hate to say it, but I think only the frosh goalie has a shot at keeping UNH out of 11th this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I hate to say it, but I think only the frosh goalie has a shot at keeping UNH out of 11th this season.
            Sad state of affairs, but unfortunately I think you are right.

On another note, I'm still trying to decide on season tickets. Buying a ticket game night will not be an issue if I do want to go to a game, so I think I'm going that route. I've had season tickets since the opening of the Whit, so it is sad decision. I just don't think I can justify the cost given the product. After nearly three decades of being a season ticket holder wouldn't you expect the UNH ticket office to reach out? At least ask if I may have "overlooked" the deadline? I would, but not a peep, they have made their bed so they can lie in it.
            GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

Sad state of affairs, but unfortunately I think you are right.

On another note, I'm still trying to decide on season tickets. Buying a ticket game night will not be an issue if I do want to go to a game, so I think I'm going that route. I've had season tickets since the opening of the Whit, so it is sad decision. I just don't think I can justify the cost given the product. After nearly three decades of being a season ticket holder wouldn't you expect the UNH ticket office to reach out? At least ask if I may have "overlooked" the deadline? I would, but not a peep, they have made their bed so they can lie in it.
              I'd pop that right into an email for
              athletic.director@unh.edu

If you are the new boss, you want to know where the mess is.

As to outcomes for this season, with all of the freshmen, there is high volatility in predicting standings. Its better than last year where you had a sense of knowing their ceiling was limited. At least this year will be interesting to see what upside there is.
              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-17-2022, 09:40 AM.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                After nearly three decades of being a season ticket holder wouldn't you expect the UNH ticket office to reach out?
                In the business world, absolutely, if you want to be around for 3+ decades. In academia? Not so much. They would preach this at WSBE/Paul but obviously never put it into action in real life. Too much like work, and the paycheck showed up in the bank today, so ....... When is the protest march for Trans Rights during Sorority Rush Week? Must deal with the important issues affecting our lives and make sure we preserve our Democracy.

Comment

As to outcomes for this season, with all of the freshmen, there is high volatility in predicting standings. Its better than last year where you had a sense of knowing their ceiling was limited. At least this year will be interesting to see what upside there is.
                  With all other things being equal, I'd agree with the "high volatility" assessment of having a big incoming class. Problem is, those incoming players will be coached by a guy who has yet to prove any ability to consistently "coach up" any individual players, much less a whole team. His support staff also hasn't changed. That Einstein guy once had this quality observation about what doing the same things over & over again, yet expecting a different outcome, suggested about the subject of his observation.

Ironically, MS7's coaching career at UNH has mirrored that of his mentor Luce and his early years at Storrs. And in fairness to Luce, his program was at a lower level when he started than UNH was when "The Great Experiment" began late in the Umile Era. And Luce has progressed slowly, whilst MS7 has stagnated. So it's safe to say, I've lost any remaining faith I may have still had in MS7 turning the ship around this far into his maiden voyage. That's on MS7, it's on Umile, and it's on the last AD.

Barring an outright "Miracle On Ice" in Titletown NH, the new AD needs to turn the page quickly on this run of uninterrupted mediocrity, and start with a new chapter of energy and hope. ASAP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
                    In the business world, absolutely, if you want to be around for 3+ decades. In academia? Not so much. They would preach this at WSBE/Paul but obviously never put it into action in real life. Too much like work, and the paycheck showed up in the bank today, so ....... When is the protest march for Trans Rights during Sorority Rush Week? Must deal with the important issues affecting our lives and make sure we preserve our Democracy.
                    LOL ... but sadly just SO true. As someone is known to have said, "everything woke turns to $h!t".

Honestly makes me question my lingering interest in college athletics sometimes ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

March 2...ending with Vermont.
                      Seems odd that Senior night is going to be a Thursday. In 20+ years I don't recall this type of situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Found out who one of the other AD finalists was this week and think they would have been better than the woman from Princeton.
                        Well there's an opening up your way.
                        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• As one of the few Pollyannas on here, CHC can get me reasonably cranked with his updates on our new kids. I use the word reasonably because I am almost afraid to hope that this might be the year to “start the climb”. Permission to use that on the next thread Ref.
                          I see 4/5 potentially strong players coming in but I have felt that way before. Unfortunately as Chuck has noted, we do not appear to have a demonstrated ability to help these kids get to the next level.
                          Looking at Watchers HE standings my initial feeling was no way, we are better than that. But as I review the names above us I can’t honestly pull anyone of them down below us, and while not knowing squat abut the UVM and Maine recruits they sound pretty solid.
                          I read with great envoy the Maine thread talking about the entire team there all summer and really working on their conditioning. Another area that we need work on. Especially if you use the top lines like we seem to need to do.
                          All that said, I can’t wait for the year to begin. Go Cats!

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                            As one of the few Pollyannas on here, CHC can get me reasonably cranked with his updates on our new kids.
                            C-H-C has been doing this for a long time (as has 'Watcher). Their posts on incoming prospects used to stir the pot on forum discussions back in the day, when genuine excitement over the next incoming McCloskey recruit was palpable. But you can't make chicken salad from chicken $h!t, and where in the prime Umile era there would be a conveyor belt of quality recruits queued up, nowadays it tends to be one centerpiece once in awhile, mixed in with a lot of "filler". And more often that we'd like, some of the few top quality recruits eventually don't matriculate here.

Dan has always nicely explained how important it is to build a critical mass of talented players, and then to maintain it for a program to be successful long-term. Having a guy in charge who knows how to do that, and whom players can believe in to make their careers more successful long term, is a must. Back then, UNH had that person. Nowadays, they don't. Simple.

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                            I read with great envoy the Maine thread talking about the entire team there all summer and really working on their conditioning. Another area that we need work on. Especially if you use the top lines like we seem to need to do.
                            It's hard for players not to be excited to have the opportunity to play for a coach who's able to draw upon his success at the highest level of D-1 college hockey at multiple stops. Someone who can casually drop the name "Cale Makar" into a training session when he's trying to get his message across, knowing those kids are guaranteed to be paying attention (and knowing alternately if he's not getting through, the kid might not be worth the effort).

It's all about credibility, and Coach Barr has it in spades.

Comment

• "UNH Incoming Transfers: Forwards Lovett & Black, Defensemen Babbage & DeVita"
                              Includes bios, scouting reports, stats

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X