Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's question for UNH fans, looking ahead to a new season ... "Fish, or cut bait?"

The overall trajectory of the UNH Men's Hockey program over the course of the last generation has been a constant source of discussion on here - if not directly, it's been an omnipresent subtext, as evidenced in Watcher's exchange today. Long and short, I think most would agree, there has been a level of passivity at the higher echelons of UNH Athletics in general, and with Hockey more specifically. For want of a better term, UNH has been "cutting bait".

Today's Union Leader contains the following story on St. Anselm's, and their attempts to "fish" ...

Saint Anselm hockey eyes a higher level | College Sports | unionleader.com
    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 08-07-2022, 01:54 PM.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Article about Potsy's quest to play in the N. In other news, Dr. Rich joins the twitter verse @UNH_AD Being a fan of social media (I mean, of course I am) it will be great to see her commentary.

Here's the article on Andrew
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Dunlap is the more interesting NH prospect IMO, but the news on Conner (NU) and Eiserman (BU?) is both unsurprising and disappointing. UNH acting exactly as expected in the early days of post-Sept 1 recruiting. I hope the new AD knows to pay attention to this time on the calendar...
        hi Dan, I'm just curious; do you think most AD's are in the loop about recruiting time tables for their perspective coaches? Maybe you could send a detailed email or message her on twitter @UNH_AD I mean..what's have we got to lose! Im not trying to be snarky here. Of course, one would hope/expect that AD's know the game when it comes to recruiting? Doubtful at the same time that they have a ton of time to think/reflect on that; prob expect their coaching staffs to deal with those particulars? I mean, I don't know...(and maybe you are being sarcastic as you know I'm lousy at reading the room sometimes...sigh)

Sad that we aren't picking up these players mentioned that have obvious ties to UNH. But, remain hopeful...?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Today's question for UNH fans, looking ahead to a new season ... "Fish, or cut bait?"

The overall trajectory of the UNH Men's Hockey program over the course of the last generation has been a constant source of discussion on here - if not directly, it's been an omnipresent subtext, as evidenced in Watcher's exchange today. Long and short, I think most would agree, there has been a level of passivity at the higher echelons of UNH Athletics in general, and with Hockey more specifically. For want of a better term, UNH has been "cutting bait".

Today's Union Leader contains the following story on St. Anselm's, and their attempts to "fish" ...

Saint Anselm hockey eyes a higher level | College Sports | unionleader.com
          Well heck let's have an exhibition game between these two schools...that's one way to see where they are at. AD mentions there is that new stadium; is it big enough for HE standards? I thought that there was a 'seat expectation" of sorts....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Dunlap is the more interesting NH prospect IMO, but the news on Conner (NU) and Eiserman (BU?) is both unsurprising and disappointing.
            I think the most interesting thing about this year is the newer start with lots of guys up front yet to define themselves. You can make a case for most of the freshmen either to be on the top lines, or to be redshirt type freshmen like Cafarelli/Margel. I could easily see Dunlap on the top two lines. I mean, I have Chase Stevenson (Love the GPA) on the first line because of experience, but he has 8 career goals and 15 career points in 60 games. If we have a freshman take the top line spot from him that would be great.

The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

I think the most interesting thing about this year is the newer start with lots of guys up front yet to define themselves. You can make a case for most of the freshmen either to be on the top lines, or to be redshirt type freshmen like Cafarelli/Margel. I could easily see Dunlap on the top two lines. I mean, I have Chase Stevenson (Love the GPA) on the first line because of experience, but he has 8 career goals and 15 career points in 60 games. If we have a freshman take the top line spot from him that would be great.
              Sat with Jake at the barbeque..he's very motivated but am curious if he can/will be in that position and what has been Souza's track record of giving frosh a shot over the senior? (and of course if Stevenson gets the C wink) I don't have to remind anyone...It will obviously take some time for him to get into the D1 groove of things but perhaps opening weekend he gets his shot at some major ice time. Best players should play period...

Ps thanks for playing along with the 'true freshman' contest...Snively would be proud!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Sat with Jake at the barbeque..he's very motivated but am curious if he can/will be in that position and what has been Souza's track record of giving frosh a shot over the senior? (and of course if Stevenson gets the C wink) I don't have to remind anyone...It will obviously take some time for him to get into the D1 groove of things but perhaps opening weekend he gets his shot at some major ice time. Best players should play period...
                For all the criticism I have, I've not found the Umile "senior" thing to be a thing for Souza. At this point they need scoring, and the only real kid held back was Cafarelli, but he was sat in favor of a younger kid Sweeney.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

• From Tyler Muszelik on UNH goalie past: “The history of the program was pretty important,” Muszelik said. “They used to be a really good team. There are some good goalies who’ve come through there like Ty Conklin and Casey DeSmith…"

He acknowledges the past...and wants to make his impact as the NEXT great goalie! Let's Goooo 'Cats! Now if the kid can score some goals hahaha
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 08-08-2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

hi Dan, I'm just curious; do you think most AD's are in the loop about recruiting time tables for their perspective coaches? Maybe you could send a detailed email or message her on twitter @UNH_AD I mean..what's have we got to lose! Im not trying to be snarky here. Of course, one would hope/expect that AD's know the game when it comes to recruiting? Doubtful at the same time that they have a ton of time to think/reflect on that; prob expect their coaching staffs to deal with those particulars? I mean, I don't know...(and maybe you are being sarcastic as you know I'm lousy at reading the room sometimes...sigh)

Sad that we aren't picking up these players mentioned that have obvious ties to UNH. But, remain hopeful...?
                    Well, she has a compliance background, so I'd imagine she's aware of the recruiting calendars - that said I doubt she's in the weeds on how coaches run their program specific recruitment. Most AD's are far more aware of their flagship sports (including recruitment) than the rest (see major football powers and recruiting), so I hope she is paying close consideration to all things UNH hockey.

I'll continue to give her the benefit of the doubt through year one - what she says publicly has no bearing on her evaluation of individual programs. I imagine she'll evaluate the program based on what she sees on the ice this season, but I hope she considers all areas of impact and the previous track record of the HC when putting the puzzle together. If the team struggles to score goals I'm sure she'll begin to ask questions about the recruiting piece...

I don't know that she needs input from the natives, but I hope she understands we are restless...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Jack Sadowski, son of Souza's line mate is still uncommitted.
                      According to Mike C-H-C, he is now in the fold. Good news.

Throw back Tuesday
                      New Hampshire lands Sadowski January 28, 1996, Dubuque Telegraph Herald
                      The University of New Hampshire didn't waste any time in recruiting John Sadowski, and he didn't waste much time making a verbal commitment to the Hockey East school. Sadowski, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound forward from Glenview, Ill., told the school on Friday that he would play for it next season. The three-year veteran of the Dubuque Fighting Saints has averaged more the a point per game this year. "They came out and got me right away," he said Saturday, while waiting out the delayed start of a game against Des Moines. "They didn't waste any time, they didn't mess with my head. They got me out there on a visit and made an offer right away. When that sort of thing happens, you know you're really wanted at a program." Sadowski visited New Hampshire with teammate Jayme Filipowicz two weeks ago. Filipowicz accepted a scholarship offer immediately. Sadowski canceled his visit to Northeastern University, which wanted him to come out for the prestigious Beanpot Tournament in early February. Dubuque teammates Todd Barclay and Roger Holeczy are headed for Northeastern next year. Sadowski said Mark Mowers, who played in Dubuque during Sadowski's rookie season, was a positive influence on his decision. He was also impressed by New Hampshire's facilities, atmosphere and status as a perennial top-10 program.
                      ICERS COMMIT TO WILDCATS January 28, 1996 by Barry Scanlon
                      Four players, including the highest-scoring defenseman in the United States Hockey League, have recently committed to attend the University of New Hampshire, upping the number of men’s hockey recruits to six. Verbally committing to UNH were defenseman Jayme Filipowicz (6-3, 195 pounds) of Arlington Heights, Ill., forwards John Sadowski (5-10, 170) of Glenview, Ill., and Jay Shipulski (5-9, 170) of Saugus, Mass., and goaltender Eric Soltys (6-1, 180) of Needham, Mass. The athletes’ admission into the University is contingent upon their academic standing.
                      Filipowicz and Sadowski are members of the Dubuque Fighting Saints. Dubuque head coach Adam Brinker lauded UNH assistant coaches Brian McCloskey and Chris Serino for landing the duo. “I think New Hampshire really did their homework. I give Chris and Brian a lot of credit,” Brinker said. “They’re getting guys who are team players. They did a little more homework than other schools.” Brinker said Filipowicz and Sadowski are the fifth and sixth players from Dubuque to commit to Division I programs. Sadowski is the second highest-scoring member of Dubuque, one point behind Filipowicz with 18 goals and 14 assists for 32 points. Not very big, Sadowski will find a way to do well at the Division I level, according to Brinker. “He’s tough. He puts it on the line every night. He’s going to find a way to get into New Hampshire’s line-up. He’s going to find a way to win out. He shows up every single night. Most games he’s our best player. Even if he doesn’t score a goal he’ll find a way to contribute, Brinker said. As an example of Sadowski’s determination, Brinker said the 20-year old recently scored a goal with Dubuque shorthanded two players. Colorado College was beginning to show interest in Sadowski when he committed to UNH.
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-09-2022, 07:55 AM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Yes! We have a legacy player in folks! He'll have a great year with KUA/Tim Whitehead...

Comment

• Amazing. And all it took was the simple fact the kid's dad played on the same line with the current HC for the better part of four seasons. Long live the Souza/Sadowski/Shipulski "S Line"!!!

Comment

Yes! We have a legacy player in folks! He'll have a great year with KUA/Tim Whitehead...

Nice pick up for UNH...great news.

Comment

• That's a good pick up - and this is a great/telling quote from the elder Sadowski regarding his own recruiting process...

"They came out and got me right away," he said Saturday, while waiting out the delayed start of a game against Des Moines. "They didn't waste any time, they didn't mess with my head. They got me out there on a visit and made an offer right away. When that sort of thing happens, you know you're really wanted at a program."

That's how recruiting happens (then and now), keep it up...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Apologies in advance if you encounter any paywall issues, but another UL item today on the possibility of St. Anselm's making the move to NCAA D-1 Men's Hockey in the not-so-distant future ...

https://www.unionleader.com/sports/e...ecc13b9ad.html

Comment

Working...
                                X