Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Suspect there are a fair few (too many?) folks in the ticket office operation who remember when the season tickets used to sell themselves. Wake-up call to them - it hasn't been that way for at least a decade now. Wake up and smell the coffee, or it's time to get new folks into that operation who might, you know, have an ability to SELL, or at least to service existing customers?!?

The rot - in the form of institutional complacency - has clearly taken hold in Durham.

And I have serious concerns our new AD is going to be the person to energize the place.
    You're correct Chuck, those in the ticket office (and athletics department in general) have no idea how far hockey has fallen, or they just don't care (the "rot" you mention). At the peak our "group" had 10 season ticket holders, expanding to 17 as kids came along. It has been steadily dwindling over the years and our "group" now stands at two, which may be down to a big goose egg is my wife and I choose not to renew! In addition to our group we had many season ticket holders in our immediate section that we would see year-in-year-out, people I considered friends or at least acquaintances, in the range of another dozen people or more. Of that group there are two who still have their season tickets. So our section went from probably two dozen (or more) season ticket holders, which will now be down to four (maybe). The choice in the new AD shows hockey is not a priority, or they don't believe there is a problem with men's hockey at UNH. I'm trying to be optimistic, but man is it hard!
    GO BLUE!

Comment

• Feel free to drop her an email letting her know where the problems are. Can't solve a problem if you don't know of it, or it was minimized in the interview process.
      arich1@princeton.edu
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Feel free to drop her an email letting her know where the problems are. Can't solve a problem if you don't know of it, or it was minimized in the interview process.
        arich1@princeton.edu
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAm...=jovichick7908

UNH

Comment

• lol Scott. Agree; connect with the office and complain. Squeaky wheels get the grease and I think empty seats/ non renewed STH SHOULD send a message? I mean, she's not even in the door and already written off by some as a 'bad hire'. Doubt seriously that UNH was looking to hire a scorched earth policy person (but we don't know that NOT to be true, do we???) I do not know her etc but am willing to see how she does. Put your money where your mouth is...write a letter/email.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Suspect there are a fair few (too many?) folks in the ticket office operation who remember when the season tickets used to sell themselves. Wake-up call to them - it hasn't been that way for at least a decade now. Wake up and smell the coffee, or it's time to get new folks into that operation who might, you know, have an ability to SELL, or at least to service existing customers?!?

The rot - in the form of institutional complacency - has clearly taken hold in Durham.

And I have serious concerns our new AD is going to be the person to energize the place.
            what evidence do you have that she can't 'energize' the place? Even the late, great Jimmy V would have his work cut out for him in a place where individual coaches do their thing, their way, and the win/loss hasn't been that much of a concern to their staying or going (the rot?) I'd hardly call some of the women's teams I follow, esp Swim/Dive, gymnastics full of rot. Or the Men's Soccer program. Shoot, they have that big beautiful football stadium and the times I've been there seems kind of hopping. She's not a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader. (although I saw them in person once and wow, they really are somethin') How can you know just by reading a resume that she can't do the job and if you ask me, that's not her role, head 'cheerleader' for the grown adults who coach these programs....btw...women can fire people, they do it all the time.

ps I agree there is much work to do. Esp with the communication piece for STH's and the promotion of UNH sports. I hope those things improve...I'm looking forward to her opening remarks which I think...is happening soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              what evidence do you have that she can't 'energize' the place? Even the late, great Jimmy V would have his work cut out for him in a place where individual coaches do their thing, their way, and the win/loss hasn't been that much of a concern to their staying or going (the rot?) I'd hardly call some of the women's teams I follow, esp Swim/Dive, gymnastics full of rot. Or the Men's Soccer program. Shoot, they have that big beautiful football stadium and the times I've been there seems kind of hopping. She's not a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader. (although I saw them in person once and wow, they really are somethin') How can you know just by reading a resume that she can't do the job and if you ask me, that's not her role, head 'cheerleader' for the grown adults who coach these programs....btw...women can fire people, they do it all the time.

ps I agree there is much work to do. Esp with the communication piece for STH's and the promotion of UNH sports. I hope those things improve...I'm looking forward to her opening remarks which I think...is happening soon?
              There's no question AD Rich is walking into what looks from the outside to be a tough situation, and don't get me wrong, I'm still holding her predecessor accountable for that situation. The "rot" is the institutional complacency, certainly not some of the bright spots that are currently shining through the muck and mire that make up most of the rest of the AD admin staff. Remember, yours truly was recommending the Men's Soccer HC as a dark horse candidate for AD.

In fairness, you can't always judge a book by its cover, but when all you have is a resume that screams admin lifer, and some home cooking quotes from former colleagues raving about her admin skills, you are 100% allowed to come to some conclusions. If it walks like an admin, looks like an admin, and quacks like an admin, there's a pretty good chance it's an admin lifer. Or not?

The new AD doesn't appear to have had an athletic background when she was younger. I don't remember reading anything to that effect, but if I missed it, I'll apologize. Ditto for the lack of a coaching background. Mind you, I'm sure there are highly successful AD's out there somewhere who were lacking these attributes in their backgrounds, but I struggle to see how someone without some past personal touchpoints in understanding what makes players or (especially) coaches tick is going to be able to consistently nail things when it comes to firing and (especially) hiring their replacements.

I'd be very interested in reading what Dan has to say on this issue.

First reactions aren't always a reliable guide on outcomes, and I'm willing to see what the new AD can do. The guy she is replacing set the bar pretty low, so I'm glad he's gone, and I wish her well.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Feel free to drop her an email letting her know where the problems are. Can't solve a problem if you don't know of it, or it was minimized in the interview process.
                arich1@princeton.edu
                Not to nitpick, but shouldn't the current UNH AD already have a UNH domain e-mail address?!?

Comment

• Yes they should
                  Rich will be officially introduced in a press conference on Thursday, July 14 (Time, Location TBA). Her start date is Monday, July 25.
                  But no harm in sending a welcoming email to her current place.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Not to nitpick, but shouldn't the current UNH AD already have a UNH domain e-mail address?!?
                    She will likely post it here once she discovers the warm, nurturing nature of our thread.

Seriously, this needs an update: https://unhwildcats.com/staff-directory
                    Last edited by Darius; 07-13-2022, 12:16 PM.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Here is the link to tomorrow's (July 14) press conference welcoming AD Rich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMk3...l=UNHAthletics
                      UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        She will likely post it here once she discovers the warm, nurturing nature of our thread.

Seriously, this needs an update: https://unhwildcats.com/staff-directory
                        I'd hate to awaken anyone from their midsummer afternoon's daydream ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          Here is the link to tomorrow's (July 14) press conference welcoming AD Rich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMk3...l=UNHAthletics
                          At 3 pm. I'll try to watch and hope she walks the challenging pr line more on the side of acknowledging the task ahead and less on throwing bouquet's at the people who were in the job before (though there must be some of that).
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Schedules out..

Comment

Schedules out..
                              You gonna share?

Comment

lol Scott. Agree; connect with the office and complain. Squeaky wheels get the grease and I think empty seats/ non renewed STH SHOULD send a message? I mean, she's not even in the door and already written off by some as a 'bad hire'. Doubt seriously that UNH was looking to hire a scorched earth policy person (but we don't know that NOT to be true, do we???) I do not know her etc but am willing to see how she does. Put your money where your mouth is...write a letter/email.
                                If squeaky wheels get the grease as you say, then things at the Whit and Men's Hockey should be purring like a big block Chevy! I have sent emails in the past voicing my concerns (with the current athletic department's approach with existing season ticket holders), the response was a boiler plate "thank you for your input", no further communication. I'm sure that I am not alone in this. We all have our opinions. Sorry if we all aren't jumping up and down waving the UNH flag cheering for the recent choice. Nothing about this choice is exciting, bold, or exhibits any thinking outside of the box. Just my opinion, and as a season ticket holder since the opening year of the Whit, alum and donor, I feel I'm entitled to that opinion.
                                Last edited by d.gerry; 07-13-2022, 02:45 PM.
                                GO BLUE!

Comment

Working...
                                X