Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    You were expecting Gil Thorpe? (dating myself) lol
    Nope, wasn't expecting Jim Thorpe or Gil Thorp, but was hoping for more than a pure admin type.

Time will tell, certainly hope it proves to be a good hire.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

was hoping for more than a pure admin type.

Time will tell, certainly hope it proves to be a good hire.
      Not sure why UNH continues to go with the safe and easy hire, but certainly happy it wasnt Nigel. Why an Admin type hire who will tow the conservative style. Has UNH had a lot of compliance issues, other than the extra email "scandal" from about 10 years ago? With the whole new world of NIL, we need someone who is dancing to a new tune, not waltzing along to keep the chaperone's happy.

The NIL is changing things quickly in the NCAA so you can get new recruits, keep players from transferring but also, and this is HUGE, keep players from jumping to the pros early (IF WE EVER RETURN TO THAT STATUS). Ex. - If Bekar sticks around for his senior year because rather than getting $ 100K to sign and go to the Islanders AHL team, Timberland signs him to a $100K NIL deal to promote the yellow boot, how good is the 99 team? Then because he sticks around for the 4th year, and he AND Krog score 95 points each and win the NCAA Title 9-2 over Maine, he becomes a free agent. Can write his ticket rather than HAVING to leave because this is his best chance. I know, a lot of IF's and Maybe's, but this is the new landscape that maybe an admin type will not be willing or able to "explore".

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
        The NIL is changing things quickly in the NCAA so you can get new recruits, keep players from transferring but also, and this is HUGE, keep players from jumping to the pros early (IF WE EVER RETURN TO THAT STATUS). Ex. - If Bekar sticks around for his senior year because rather than getting $ 100K to sign and go to the Islanders AHL team, Timberland signs him to a $100K NIL deal to promote the yellow boot, how good is the 99 team? Then because he sticks around for the 4th year, and he AND Krog score 95 points each and win the NCAA Title 9-2 over Maine, he becomes a free agent. Can write his ticket rather than HAVING to leave because this is his best chance. I know, a lot of IF's and Maybe's, but this is the new landscape that maybe an admin type will not be willing or able to "explore".
        It's funny, but when all this "brave new world" stuff finally comes to maturity, it's going to make Walshy's "retroactive financial aid" frolics in the mid-'90's look like the weekly geriatric's Bingo game down in the parish rec hall by comparison. There's no putting that genie back in the NCAA bottle, no sirree Bob. Good for a small fraction of athletes, but ruins college sports for a majority of us old-timers who value continuity with their teams/programs. C'est la vie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Hey HH, I'm on your side in this debate. Most of the other folks on here think St. A's et als would be cannon fodder for UNH, women's OR men's teams. There's no doubt that St. A's putting those schools on their schedule AND winning a few IS exactly what I called it - punching above their weight. St. A's - little school in Goffstown; a fraction of the size of the two you cited.

I welcome the emergence of ANY NH-based college hockey program to challenge the fat cats in Hanover and Durham. I want to see a NH version of Boston's Beanpot. The better you guys play, the more likely that scenario becomes. Women's first if necessary, and eventually the Men's programs to follow. Hope I live long enough to see it. Keep up the good work!! :-)
          I think I came off more defensive than intended. What I am really hoping for is a men's basketball tilt between the Hawks and the Wildcats... but I am not holding my breath on that one!

Comment

• "Tyler Muszelik & Damien Carfagna: UNH's Top 2022 NHL Draft Prospects"
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• https://www.uscho.com/ncaa-players-2022-nhl-draft/

Muszelik - "G4" whatever that means ?
              Carfagna - n/a

It's one thing to lose higher picks to Minnesota, Michigan, BC, North Dakota, et. al. But when your program is losing higher picks to Vermont, Ferris State, and Merrimack, a certain "someone" or "someone's" really need to study the Dale Carnegie course on "How To Win Friends And Influence People"....or just friggin' learn how to sell (tongue emoji)
              UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                https://www.uscho.com/ncaa-players-2022-nhl-draft/

Muszelik - "G4" whatever that means ?
                Carfagna - n/a

It's one thing to lose higher picks to Minnesota, Michigan, BC, North Dakota, et. al. But when your program is losing higher picks to Vermont, Ferris State, and Merrimack, a certain "someone" or "someone's" really need to study the Dale Carnegie course on "How To Win Friends And Influence People"....or just friggin' learn how to sell (tongue emoji)
                Goalie #4
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                  Defenseman Damien Carfagna (Lawrence Academy/Green Bay/Sioux City) will attend Seattle development camp. Will be freshman at UNH in '22-23

Comment

• It amazes me that this is who UNH came up with after having 8+ months to find a replacement for Marty. Does anyone else remember that the Ivy League canceled a full year of sports during COVID while other schools, some even just up the road, were able to still participate? The entire profile of the Ivy League in terms of where and how sports fit into the college experience for student athletes is so vastly different from how scholarship schools work. UNH needed someone who has been at scholarship schools, who can hire coaches that can and will win, who understands the value of sports in education, not the other way around. They didn't need a compliance diversity officer who's going to make sure that the coaches are just there to babysit and not win games. This is an incredibly disappointing hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by pucko View Post
                      It amazes me that this is who UNH came up with after having 8+ months to find a replacement for Marty. Does anyone else remember that the Ivy League canceled a full year of sports during COVID while other schools, some even just up the road, were able to still participate? The entire profile of the Ivy League in terms of where and how sports fit into the college experience for student athletes is so vastly different from how scholarship schools work. UNH needed someone who has been at scholarship schools, who can hire coaches that can and will win, who understands the value of sports in education, not the other way around. They didn't need a compliance diversity officer who's going to make sure that the coaches are just there to babysit and not win games. This is an incredibly disappointing hire.
                      Some very good points included in this post. Time will tell, but I share most of these concerns.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                        Yes, yes and yes Norbert! I was just mentioning that to my wife. They use to pester the crap out of us but haven’t heard a peep all spring/summer. I have been waiting, as I imagined that I would be changing seats. On the glass since the beginning but can’t imagine that I won’t want to change.
                        They are so non communicative recently that I am afraid I might get locked in to seats we don’t want and we all know we can just walk in and be fine.
                        After sending my email to UNH Athletics regarding the early due date, I got a response a week later. Which coincided with the deadline for the payment.

Here is the response I got

Good morning, hope you are doing well! I received the email you sent over regarding hockey season tickets, so wanted to provide a response.
                        • Season Ticket Member Deadline: We’ve worked diligently to adjust our sales timelines to best fit the conditions and the market, which is the reason behind the current renewal deadline. It is important to open the renewals early on, as to ensure season ticket members can add or move seats before the public on-sale. The 7/8 renewal date is in effect; however, we pride ourselves on being flexible and will work with each season ticket member regarding payment. There was a little more flexibility built in last year (2021-2022), as we were coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic and wanted to ensure season ticket members could make a decision that they were comfortable with.
                        • Renewals (in-season): We began renewals in late February to ensure we had time to engage with our fans in-venue and answer any questions that you may have. It also allows us to best manage our resources internally so that we are readily available to support our season ticket members.
                        • 2022-2023 Season: The schedule will be released to season ticket holders in the near future, so keep an eye out for that.
                        • Rink Renovation: The project is still in-progress and on-schedule. An update will be sent to our season ticket members later this summer.

Thank you for the note and your continued commitment to our hockey program! I look forward to seeing you at the Whitt this season.

Here is my takeaway

Deadline: They are in belief there is a condition and market for season tickets that does not exist. Usually when attendance goes down that means there is less of a market, or at least that is what my UNH Econ classes told me

Rink Renovation: Great that it is in progress and on-schedule. That did not answer my question about providing us updates. Its new ice and boards. This is not top secret information and thought some pictures and updates might be a nice engagement for STH

Schedule: Great I am glad there is a schedule coming out but that does not answer my question about # of games. It looks like it will be 17 games based on going through the process and downloading my tickets.

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

After sending my email to UNH Athletics regarding the early due date, I got a response a week later. Which coincided with the deadline for the payment.

Here is the response I got

Good morning, hope you are doing well! I received the email you sent over regarding hockey season tickets, so wanted to provide a response.
                          • Season Ticket Member Deadline: We’ve worked diligently to adjust our sales timelines to best fit the conditions and the market, which is the reason behind the current renewal deadline. It is important to open the renewals early on, as to ensure season ticket members can add or move seats before the public on-sale. The 7/8 renewal date is in effect; however, we pride ourselves on being flexible and will work with each season ticket member regarding payment. There was a little more flexibility built in last year (2021-2022), as we were coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic and wanted to ensure season ticket members could make a decision that they were comfortable with.
                          • Renewals (in-season): We began renewals in late February to ensure we had time to engage with our fans in-venue and answer any questions that you may have. It also allows us to best manage our resources internally so that we are readily available to support our season ticket members.
                          • 2022-2023 Season: The schedule will be released to season ticket holders in the near future, so keep an eye out for that.
                          • Rink Renovation: The project is still in-progress and on-schedule. An update will be sent to our season ticket members later this summer.

Thank you for the note and your continued commitment to our hockey program! I look forward to seeing you at the Whitt this season.

Here is my takeaway

Deadline: They are in belief there is a condition and market for season tickets that does not exist. Usually when attendance goes down that means there is less of a market, or at least that is what my UNH Econ classes told me

Rink Renovation: Great that it is in progress and on-schedule. That did not answer my question about providing us updates. Its new ice and boards. This is not top secret information and thought some pictures and updates might be a nice engagement for STH

Schedule: Great I am glad there is a schedule coming out but that does not answer my question about # of games. It looks like it will be 17 games based on going through the process and downloading my tickets.
                          My response, that's a lot of words to say absolutely nothing of use... Which is what I got out of them earlier this summer when I was still trying to "engage" them as an STH. Very true on the fact that they falsely believe there is weight to the calls of "renew now or lose out". If I changed my mind and decided to renew on opening day I bet I would have no issue getting back "my seats".

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post

My response, that's a lot of words to say absolutely nothing of use... Which is what I got out of them earlier this summer when I was still trying to "engage" them as an STH. Very true on the fact that they falsely believe there is weight to the calls of "renew now or lose out". If I changed my mind and decided to renew on opening day I bet I would have no issue getting back "my seats".
                            They are either completely out of their mind and believe there is a draw/market/enthusiasm that does not exist or just towing the company line. In either event, they are not customer friendly.

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

They are either completely out of their mind and believe there is a draw/market/enthusiasm that does not exist or just towing the company line. In either event, they are not customer friendly.
                              It really is laughable they feel this is somehow a "seller's market" when it comes to season ticket renewals. What, they gonna give my tickets away? Go for it. Also, website is not user friendly when it comes to making a change to your season ticket order, I'm considering renewing 2 as opposed to my old 3 (as my daughter is off to college in the fall) however, can't find a way to reduce the number of tickets in my order.
                              GO BLUE!

Comment

• Suspect there are a fair few (too many?) folks in the ticket office operation who remember when the season tickets used to sell themselves. Wake-up call to them - it hasn't been that way for at least a decade now. Wake up and smell the coffee, or it's time to get new folks into that operation who might, you know, have an ability to SELL, or at least to service existing customers?!?

The rot - in the form of institutional complacency - has clearly taken hold in Durham.

And I have serious concerns our new AD is going to be the person to energize the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X