Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Still had to be quite the surprise to see the UNH bus in PA...
    Actually in Westchester County NY, not far from White Plains, maybe 10-15 miles north of NYC?

Not exactly the place I'd expect to see THAT bus on THAT date (July 1st), so waiting to see if there's a potential connection to 'dc's "great day" (it'd better be, posting at 3:43 a.m.!) ...

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Seeing the announcement, I suppose the UNH bus could have been returning from New Jersey ...

Allison Rich - Senior Associate Director of Athletics/SWA - Staff Directory - Princeton University Athletics (goprincetontigers.com)

Other than Princeton, she's been connected with a long string of non-hockey schools.

Comment

Did you read the info on her? I have barely skimmed the email...
        She’s definitely smart and accomplished. Not sure if she is what UNH needs but time will tell.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Seeing the announcement, I suppose the UNH bus could have been returning from New Jersey ...

Allison Rich - Senior Associate Director of Athletics/SWA - Staff Directory - Princeton University Athletics (goprincetontigers.com)

Other than Princeton, she's been connected with a long string of non-hockey schools.
          Listen, I get that this is a college hockey forum and we are all hockey fans. I get that traditionally hockey has been UNH's premier program. But given all that is going on across the landscape of intercollegiate sports these days to expect a hire like this to be focused on a single sport is probably unrealistic.

The narrative on this board has been pretty simple, (and IMO lazy) that a new AD is going to come in, fire the current hockey coach, everything is going to be wonderful again, and we're all going to party like its 1999.

Maybe that's how it will play out. Nobody wants to see the clock turned back more than me. (I'm a get off my lawn kind of guy.) Just not sure its going to be that simple.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Pretty sure UNH used to practice at Dover Ice Arena, at least back when The Whitt was still under construction, and the roof over Jackson's Landing wasn't collapsing (pretty sure I've related the tale of skating on that sheet with our youngest the night before it caved in). So it would at least mark a return to the wide eyed optimistic "glory days" of the early Coach Umile Era, when we hadn't quite figured out yet that Mr. Turtleneck was going to have a star-crossed career when it came to winning the biggest of big games. But in fairness to Umile, he still owns the program's high-water mark, eh?

All credit to St. Anselm's for pushing the competitive boat out and trying to punch above their weight - maybe they'll shame SNHU into doing the same?? And then we're practically there (at least on the Women's side of the ledger). No doubt they've been reading out stuff on here for inspiration ...
            Punching above their weight? Saint Anselm beat Dartmouth AND Maine last year... UNH against both programs? 1-3.

Also, Franklin Pierce was the NEWHA champion... and UNH tied the Ravens, 3-3.

Comment

UNH announces AD...Allison Rich just got the email ...officially starts July 25th Presser July 14. Princeton background. Let the chatter begin!
              Seems like such an underwhelming choice. Months and month of searching culminates in Allison Rich? Well at least it sounds like we don’t have to worry about breaking any rules.
              GO BLUE!

Comment

• Personally I have never been of the opinion that a new AD meant a complete overhaul of Men's Hockey. And you are right Felger its ridiculous to think that's tops on her list. That said I do hope that the program (as well as all of UNH Athletic) get detailed scrutiny AND support. Welcome Dr. Rich!
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

The narrative on this board has been pretty simple, (and IMO lazy) that a new AD is going to come in, fire the current hockey coach, everything is going to be wonderful again, and we're all going to party like its 1999.
                  I’m pretty sure nobody has said this. One quick hire and back to partying like it’s 1999? An extremely needed and long overdue rebuild yes, one quick wave of a magic wand and all is better, no.
                  Last edited by d.gerry; 07-05-2022, 10:46 AM.
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

I’m pretty sure nobody has said this. One quick hire and back to partying like it’s 1999? An extremely needed and long overdue rebuild yes, one quick wave of a magic wand and all is better, no.
                    Exactly, the sentiment is not so much that it's a quick fix but the importance of getting this piece right in the long term goal of a return to prominence. As with everything else it is going to be wait and see, in terms of the hockey program there needs to be a very deep overhaul. Hopefully the hockey program rebuild (both men's and women's) is at or very near the top of the list of priorities.

Comment

• Agree - it's not a quick fix, but a long term project. It MUST be the priority, however. I'll wait to hear more from DC, and those involved with the search, before I make any final decisions. I wonder about the priority of, and accountability to, athletic success just based on resume and the initial announcement. I'm always suspicious of discussion related to academics and student-athlete experience, as if you can't enjoy both AND win at a high level. Does anyone think the Denver players aren't good students and enjoying their collegiate careers?

Will Rich demand success and hold coaches accountable? Or will we be bickering about Souza and Witt or Herrion and Hogan a decade from now, assuming kids graduate and don't get into trouble. I'm not so sure either way. I hope she was hired because she gave a strong impression on her ability/desire to get the most out of UNH from a competitive standpoint...

--

Maybe the bus sighting was related to the AD hiring, but I'd tend to doubt it was. These buses are usually owned by the bus companies (and simply designed with athletic branding). If they're not being used for team travel they're often on the road for other charter/travel purposes...
                      Last edited by Dan; 07-05-2022, 11:23 AM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Not sure how to chat about something I know little about. Wildcatdc, any thoughts?
                        Very pleased…. Glad we took our time, whittled it down from ~40, to a dozen, to several finalists, then on-campus interviews, then landed the best one, IMO.

- obviously a smart cookie
                        - a LEADER, which people on this board have been calling for forever now. Not just in her day job, but in the various committees and boards she serves on.
                        - experience at the highest level of college athletics (FSU being the obvious one, but nice to see three other D1 roles as well, all arguably at UNH levels or higher)
                        - Went to and worked at a D1 hockey school (this was a bigger challenge than you might imagine, when you take into account a desire to land a top candidate. That Venn diagram intersection was a VERY lonely one)
                        - was voted one of the top assistant AD’s in the nation

i agree with the sentiment that anyone thinking the installation of a new AD has us back in the frozen 4 in three years is just silly. That stated, I get the sense that she has a bias for action and will hopefully bring an expectation of performance that may have been lacking in the past.

One other intangible is that she is leaving her alma mater, which I’m sure is a very comfortable situation, to come to a much less prestigious institution, with huge challenges ahead, and is embracing that. Someone looking to cool their heels doesn’t do that. More like someone who wants to face the issues head on. We can certainly use that kind of reinvigoration.

I’m glad the process is done - there were MANY people involved, internally and externally, and I’m proud of how seriously the administration and others took this placement.

Looking forward to her having big success with UNH. We could all use it….
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

Very pleased…. Glad we took our time, whittled it down from ~40, to a dozen, to several finalists, then on-campus interviews, then landed the best one, IMO.

- obviously a smart cookie
                          - a LEADER, which people on this board have been calling for forever now. Not just in her day job, but in the various committees and boards she serves on.
                          - experience at the highest level of college athletics (FSU being the obvious one, but nice to see three other D1 roles as well, all arguably at UNH levels or higher)
                          - Went to and worked at a D1 hockey school (this was a bigger challenge than you might imagine, when you take into account a desire to land a top candidate. That Venn diagram intersection was a VERY lonely one)
                          - was voted one of the top assistant AD’s in the nation

i agree with the sentiment that anyone thinking the installation of a new AD has us back in the frozen 4 in three years is just silly. That stated, I get the sense that she has a bias for action and will hopefully bring an expectation of performance that may have been lacking in the past.

One other intangible is that she is leaving her alma mater, which I’m sure is a very comfortable situation, to come to a much less prestigious institution, with huge challenges ahead, and is embracing that. Someone looking to cool their heels doesn’t do that. More like someone who wants to face the issues head on. We can certainly use that kind of reinvigoration.

I’m glad the process is done - there were MANY people involved, internally and externally, and I’m proud of how seriously the administration and others took this placement.

Looking forward to her having big success with UNH. We could all use it….
                          Thanks for your synopsis (and work) regarding Dr. Rich's strong points 'dc ....hardly seems underwhelming to me. Anyway...she does have a lot of work ahead of her, and, working with a school so far less supported monetarily will be indeed, a challenge. Onward!

Comment

• Originally posted by HawksHockey View Post

Punching above their weight? Saint Anselm beat Dartmouth AND Maine last year... UNH against both programs? 1-3.

Also, Franklin Pierce was the NEWHA champion... and UNH tied the Ravens, 3-3.
                            Hey HH, I'm on your side in this debate. Most of the other folks on here think St. A's et als would be cannon fodder for UNH, women's OR men's teams. There's no doubt that St. A's putting those schools on their schedule AND winning a few IS exactly what I called it - punching above their weight. St. A's - little school in Goffstown; a fraction of the size of the two you cited.

I welcome the emergence of ANY NH-based college hockey program to challenge the fat cats in Hanover and Durham. I want to see a NH version of Boston's Beanpot. The better you guys play, the more likely that scenario becomes. Women's first if necessary, and eventually the Men's programs to follow. Hope I live long enough to see it. Keep up the good work!! :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

Seems like such an underwhelming choice. Months and month of searching culminates in Allison Rich? Well at least it sounds like we don't have to worry about breaking any rules.
                              I have to admit, this is my initial reaction as well; Dan's post also touches on some shared areas of concern. There are a lot of credentials I've seen cited today, but notoriously glaring by its absence is any direct experience in playing OR coaching in a competitive environment. In short, we've hired a lawyer who has deep experience in administrative issues, and purportedly has a "bias towards action". Well, take it from someone who knows, the timeline for what is "action" is much longer when in administrative settings than in competitive sports settings.

One of the "pros" 'dc raised that allows me to take some optimism into the "Dr. Allison Rich Experience" (DARE?) is that she has chosen to leave a pretty cushy job at her alma mater to take on this job. I'd be interested to know the answer to "why?" Only guessing, but perhaps the road forward at Princeton is blocked, and she wants to leave no questions unanswered as to her qualifications for that top AD job if/when it opens up in the future? Again, that's just a guess.

Well, at least that's done now. And yes 'dc, my sources did not nail this. Swing and a miss, but the good news there is we won't be making plans for Nigel at UNH ...

Comment

I have to admit, this is my initial reaction as well; Dan's post also touches on some shared areas of concern. There are a lot of credentials I've seen cited today, but notoriously glaring by its absence is any direct experience in playing OR coaching in a competitive environment. In short, we've hired a lawyer who has deep experience in administrative issues, and purportedly has a "bias towards action". Well, take it from someone who knows, the timeline for what is "action" is much longer when in administrative settings than in competitive sports settings.

One of the "pros" 'dc raised that allows me to take some optimism into the "Dr. Allison Rich Experience" (DARE?) is that she has chosen to leave a pretty cushy job at her alma mater to take on this job. I'd be interested to know the answer to "why?" Only guessing, but perhaps the road forward at Princeton is blocked, and she wants to leave no questions unanswered as to her qualifications for that top AD job if/when it opens up in the future? Again, that's just a guess.

Well, at least that's done now. And yes 'dc, my sources did not nail this. Swing and a miss, but the good news there is we won't be making plans for Nigel at UNH ...
                                You were expecting Gil Thorpe? (dating myself) lol

Comment

Working...
                                X